Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2003, 12:44 PM   #1
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

just created a bard kit Skald and im just wondering what equipment i should have
Old 06-17-2003, 02:12 PM   #2
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

help please!
Old 06-17-2003, 02:48 PM   #3
Minchandre
Dungeon Master

Well...traditional Viking weapons, most likely. Two-handed swords (though I'm pretty sure bards can't use them), battle axes, longs swords, maybe a short bow...

Probably sword and shield proficiency, as Vikings often used shields when using one handed weapons, and bards have low AC. Of course, can't use many shields...
Minchandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 02:56 PM   #4
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. :? Do you want the bestest uber-powergaming gear ever or what a Norse skald would have as gear?

Powergaming-wise, I don't suggest building a skald as a primary fighter. Skalds sing. Blades battle. The only skald I've played I've used with crossbow, wands, and the bard song.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:26 PM   #5
Faceman
Hathor

I think it's safe to assume that our fellow Cristian wants role-playing advice AND items that keep his PC from getting killed.

I suggest Bladesinger chain later on and some robe for the start. Some nice rings and amulets (there are no real restrictions and I'm sure you know what you like). Maybe use some northern equipment like the Boots of the North?
As for weapons: Aren't bards restricted like Rogues?
If that is the case i would go with dual wielding Bastard swords (dual because you can't have a shield as a skald and Bastards because they should be impressively big for a northener) or Longswords.
If not I could imagine axes but not hammers (I just think that warhammers should be twohanded anyway). I also oppose to dual-wielding mixed weapon types but not because of the Skald but because I always do (it just hurts my eyes to see someone with a Flail in the left and a Dagger in the right)
Old 06-18-2003, 01:04 AM   #6
Minchandre
Dungeon Master

I'm relatively certain that bards can't use bastard swords...

Also, I don't think Vikings ever dual wielded...they were more twohanded/sword and shield dudes...
Minchandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:43 AM   #7
Faceman
Hathor

well no shields for a skald so if Vikings don't dual wield there's only single weapon style left.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:00 AM   #8
Stratos
Vampire

Hmm...
Correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't the Skald (or any bard) able to use any weapon except composite longbow? Been a long time ago since I played one.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:09 AM   #9
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
Hmm...
Correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't the Skald (or any bard) able to use any weapon except composite longbow? Been a long time ago since I played one.
i believe your right. the only weapons they cant use are weapons restricted to a class or alignment(well, an alignment they are not). and thats only until they gain *ToB Spoiler*
* the ToB high level ability of Use Any Item.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:29 AM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Correct, the Composte Longbow is the only weapon that Bards cannot use. In stark contrast is their Armor limitations: Bards are apparently allergic to wearing Helmets and all types of Shields except Bucklers. (And the selection of Bucklers in the game is so pitiful as to be practically nonexistent.)

SO: Ideally, we're looking for a guy who likes to sing lusty tunes of mead, wenches and looting (Ideally, looting some wenches who like to brew mead), while wearing Chain Mail, a Norse helmet, and using a Long Sword and/or Spear in conjunction with a Medium Shield. Sadly, though, that ain't gonna happen. Quite apart from the fact that no Viking has EVER been known to cast Spider Spawn, Bards are simply prohibited from wearing most Viking-Raider-ish gear.

Give up on the Viking angle--instead, roleplay a Skald: One who likes to take the "Army of One" idea to its fullest extent by buffing his Summons to the point on invincibility.