Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2003, 03:22 PM   #21
NobleNick
Quintesson

pritchke,

I don't remember her having any help besides fire giants. Maybe you were on HoF mode?

Ooo! So no conversation with her if you attack the fire giants first? Any expo lost doing it this way?

Hmmm... maybe keep the whole party on the upper path, out of sight of the first giant; and interview Imaldia with a buffed tank wearing boots of speed, then race up the path to join the rest of the party charging for the exit!

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!

[ 09-23-2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:34 PM   #22
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
pritchke,

Hmmm... maybe keep the whole party on the upper path, out of sight of the first giant; and interview Imaldia with a buffed tank wearing boots of speed, then race up the path to join the rest of the party charging for the exit!

That is how I used to do it, however I don't believe there is experiance lost form not talking to her. There is a way you can talk to her and then just walk off as well. You know she has the badge, you need it, she isn't going to give it, so ambush her.

A couple other options to try is pick pocket the badge. I wonder if it 100% failure? Never done it before.

I have also heard she can be talked out of the badge (not sure if it is true)? While the option is there to ask for her badge I have never been able to get it through talking. May increase the experiance gained. May require a very high charismatic female character as she does not seem to like males.

I always remember two maiden priestess helping her. I have only done HoF once, but there has been a few times with two different mods.

[ 09-23-2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 04:47 PM   #23
kroma
Dungeon Master

Letter

God damn it, dont you just hate it when you type out a massive reply and all you get is a 404 when you hit reply - and cant get what you typed back! (Its my Gateway/Modem thing, it plays up from time to time and needs rebooting).

Anyway, the jist of it was as follows:

Plan A is to try another couple of times to talk her out of it.

Plan B is to talk to her using my Fighter wearing Boots of Speed, then attempt to defeat her and the Fire Giants at once, using arrows and magic mainly.

Plan C is to forget the XP points and adherance to story, and just picking off the "freindly" Fire Giants one by one until I am left with only her to deal with.

Also, I have attempted to kill her a couple of times before and have never noticed any 'sidekicks' - just her and the Giants. But maybe I died too quickly to notice [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

kroma. (remembering to Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C all posts before posting!! [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] )
Old 09-23-2003, 05:09 PM   #24
pritchke

If you don't see maiden priestess it could be because they are part of HoF, and/or a mod. They only make the battle slightly tougher so them not being there the first time is a good thing. They would be found in the same building as her if they were there.

The 404, has happened to me enough times after I type a long message, that I copy it now, before posting. Always annoying when it happens.

[ 09-23-2003, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 10-08-2003, 09:35 AM   #25
Lymond
Manshoon

Back to Turn Undead. I don't think I've ever used it correctly. I've always hit the button, heard the angelic music, selected an undead to turn, and then proceeded to beat the stuffing out of him. I always thought he was feeling my holy wrath and that's what made him turn. I'm suspicious now, because the undead has never run away, nor at my current higher level have they ever blown up. Am I supposed to just hit the button and let it work? Does it either work right away or not work at all? I wouldn't feel comfortable standing there preaching while I die a slow death at the hands of a skeleton.

Lymond
Old 10-08-2003, 10:07 AM   #26
pritchke

Quote:
Originally posted by Lymond:
Back to Turn Undead. I don't think I've ever used it correctly. I've always hit the button, heard the angelic music, selected an undead to turn, and then proceeded to beat the stuffing out of him. I always thought he was feeling my holy wrath and that's what made him turn. I'm suspicious now, because the undead has never run away, nor at my current higher level have they ever blown up. Am I supposed to just hit the button and let it work?

Yip, just hit the button and let it work, if you do any other action besides move you will stop turning undead.

Does it either work right away or not work at all?
Sometimes right away, then other times you have to wait a little. Occassionally it has no effect (saving throws) so if they save and are close just move away from there blows, turning undead, they will be affected at some point.

I wouldn't feel comfortable standing there preaching while I die a slow death at the hands of a skeleton.

Ye, of little faith and ye call yourself a priest.

Lymond
[ 10-08-2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 10-08-2003, 10:07 AM   #27
kroma
Dungeon Master

Lymond

You are correct. Once the character has been told to Turn Undead, you must not ask anything else of that character until a succesfull Turn Undead is made (can be quite a few turns).

You will hear that angelic sound again when it is succesfull and you will see the most (if not all) of the undead running away (or blow up, though ive yet to see that happen).

My normal tactic is to bring my Cleric to the back of the group when facing undead, even behind my 2 mages. This way she is not interrupted or forced to fight back, thus ending her Turn Undead attempts.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-08-2003, 12:13 PM   #28
Lymond
Manshoon

Thanks for the clarification, guys! And to think, all this time I thought I was spreading the good word.

Regarding my faith, I would not say that it's lacking, rather I'm just not one of those "turn the other cheek" kind of clerics. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Lymond
Old 10-16-2003, 10:47 PM   #29
Mongoose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just hit the button and let it work. At higher level I sometimes turn and fight once I have all of them turned. Then when they fight back I hit the button and turn them or blow them up. The blow uppart just happens. I think they have to make their saving throow to avoid being blown up or something like that.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 09:14 AM   #30
NobleNick
Quintesson

I have never seen the blow-up thing; but understand that is because the priest needs to be at a high level in relation to the victim. Also I haven't used "turn undead" much: I usually have my priests on Captain Smackdown duty; and, honestly, don't find I need to use it, with the heavy melee artillery that my party packs around. I think it would be fun to import Rick, my Ranger/Cleric (who is now about Cleric 14), into a party just entering the Vale of Shadows and leave the "turn undead" button locked on and see what happens.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote