Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2004, 08:11 AM   #21
Stratos
Vampire

If you have SoU, you can also pick the Zen Archery feat which allows you to us you wisdom modifier instead of your dexterity when using ranged weapons.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:38 PM   #22
Target
Red Dragon

Interesting...
I'm thinking of heading down the long-range route, but when I need a sword I can't decide to go Sabre or Rapier...is there a difference?

Also when you create a druid, you get a list of pre made ones I guess you would call them, (things like grey druid and shifter druid) what are these and what do they do differently from the custom one I've always picked?

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 04:29 AM   #23
Target
Red Dragon

I guess I want to know does chooseing the Shifter Druid give me anyhting extra from the defalt Druid?
Cheers

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Old 04-15-2004, 09:34 AM   #24
Stratos
Vampire

A rapier is a piercing weapon, while the scimitar is a slashing one. You can also use the rapier with the Weapon Finesse feat, but unless you're an elf or pick the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat, you can't use a rapier as a Druid.

IIRC, choosing the different class packages doesn't give you any extra abilities or anything, it's just a pre-made starting package with skill points already assigned and feat(s) already picked etc.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:18 AM   #25
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

The different class packages didn't suit me -- piecemeal it out on your own for a character you prefer.

There are no sabres (I don't think) in any Bioware games -- you're thinking scimitar I guess. Druids start with prof. in scimitar as part of their list (see the handbook), but not with rapier, longsword, or most other swords. I don't know why a scimitar is considered particularly "woodsy," but so be it. If you pick up a level of Ranger, you'll get access to the martial weapons. Or you can spend the feat points -- which I think if very foolish compared to picking up a level of Ranger.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:37 AM   #26
Target
Red Dragon

I was picking Elf as my race so I get access to the rapier, as well as other racial bonuses. Just wondered if there was a difference between the scimitar and rapier apart from at the first shop the scimitar is a few gp cheaper.
Or can you make/buy a better rapier/scimitar as the game goes on?

Old 04-15-2004, 05:27 PM   #27
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

You'll run across a +1 scimitar pretty early on if your game goes at all like mine. I only recently ran across a +1 rapier, and by then I'd sold my original scimitar and one of the two +1 scimitars I'd found.

There *is* a difference between the two, I just can't recall what all the differences are. I think the rapier does piercing damage (or maybe p and s damage) while the scimitar does slashing.

Oh, and remember that individuals will have bonuses based on the type of damage done (remember the girldes of piercing you tripped over everywhere in Amn?). For that reason, some weapon choices are better. For instance, a halberd does P/S damage -- almost nothing in the game is immune to both types of damage. The morning star, I believe, does P/B damage. Just something to consider. I've been hacking around a halberd lately. The reach is nice, too.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:35 AM   #28
Stratos
Vampire

*Rapier: 1d6 (18-20/x2) piercing damage, useable with the Weapon Finesse feat if you play a medium-sized race.
*Scimitar: 1d6 (18-20/x2) slashing damage

If you play the NWN OC, there's a smith called Marrok under the arms shop (Knight's Arms or something) who can make some good weapons and armours if you give him a +1 version of the item you want made, as well as the appropiate reagent. One of the weapons he can make is a +1 scimitar that does an additional 1d6 of fire damage.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:45 AM   #29
Target
Red Dragon

hmmmm, thats something to think about.
Can a Elf Druid use a halberd? and would anyone recommend one?

Old 04-16-2004, 06:33 AM   #30
Stratos
Vampire

*Halberd: 1d10 x3 slashing and piercing(?) damage

You need the Martial Weapon Proficiency to use a halberd.