Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2002, 09:36 PM   #1
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

RP thread

What about this story do you like it? Not mine but cool anyway!
I try this because of all that crap in GD this days maby this will cher you up a little guys! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyone is welcome to join in. But please don't do anything moronic like make your character invulnerable, or kill someone else's character or something.

A cold night, dark and haunted by half-real shapes, ghosts of the mind and the imagination. The chill of the air cut right to the bone, living breath hanging like smoke in the air. The moon stared down from the sky, a wide, beautiful eye, its pale ethereal light shimmering from frost and frozen rainwater. Shutters and curtains were drawn tight against the deathly cold and spirit-haunted air. In the maze of the city streets, only a single visible flame flickered. Only a single point of warmth and light, of the life of the fire. Hands blue with the cold gripped tight to the metal of the lantern, shallow breaths crystallising in the chill air, dark eyes staring into the shadows and mists of the city night. Manicured fingernails tapping impatiently against the glass, until two darker shadows separated from the night and walked forward purposefully. A figure in a tattered black cloak, torn and frayed at the edges; and another in smart, fashionable clothes, also black. The man with the lantern cursed softly. "Damn you, Fish. I hope the Trickster takes your skin for britches. You said you'd be here before midnight."

The cloaked figure simply raised a hand, a split-second before the first toll of the bell in the clock tower. Twelve tolls later, the man lowered his hand and stepped forward into the small circle of light. Beneath the dark hood of his robe his eyes were bright and cold as the moon, and their gaze seemed to cut deeper than the cold of the night. He smiled, but not in a pleasant way. The other man bowed mockingly.

"This had better be worth my standing out here for twenty minutes frozen to the bone. What did you find, and what's so important that we have to meet in such a hell-hole?" Snarled the nobleman, holding the lantern out at arms length to cast more light on the cloaked figure.

"I'm risking my life even being here. After that fiasco with the Cruciate Emeralds, every watch outpost in the city has my picture on the door." muttered the man in the smart clothes.

"And who's fault was that?" asked the noble, in an accusing tone.

"Perhaps if you'd told us they had a secondary power supply, the lights wouldn't have come on halfway through the heist."

"Ever heard of casing the joint?"

"That's why we had you as an informant, you useless…"

"Shut up. Both of you." The voice of the cloaked man cut through the night air like a blade. Both men fell silent. He continued in a more normal tone, "We're here for business. If you want to carry on this personal feud later, do so. We organise this first."

"Organise what? You're so paranoid you haven't even told us what you've found."

"And I'm not going to take the risk of telling you out here. There's a building nearby where we can talk."

The nobleman snapped the shutters on the lantern closed, and followed the conspirators through a winding maze of alleys to an abandoned warehouse. He hesitated briefly before stepping over the threshold. The door slammed shut behind him, and he opened the lantern shutters again. The room was squalid and long-abandoned, with cobwebs thronging the corners and rats scurrying under the floor. The well-attired thief sat down awkwardly in the only chair in the room, while the cloaked man leaned against the wall, ignoring the dust and spiders. He smiled again and spoke softly.

"The secret of eternal life. You don't believe me, do you? Of course you don’t. No-one sane would believe in such a thing. Which is why sanity can, at times, be a hindrance."

"One which you have apparently become unburdened from, Fish." said the thief, a note of mocking in his voice.

"Yes."

"So, how did you come about this wondrous secret? Was it whispered in your ear by fairies after many glasses of absinthe?" asked the nobleman, his tone openly insulting. He glared at Fish, who blinked his ice-cold eyes slowly and deliberately.

"If you feel I have nothing of value to say, my lord, feel free to leave. I would hate to waste your precious time. Of course, I would have to kill you to prevent you betraying my confidence, but such matters are insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Otherwise, I implore you to listen to what I have to say.

"This knowledge - as most valuable things do - appeared by pure chance. An inexperienced thief, tired of being hounded by the watch, decided to attempt some grave-robbing; the logic being that the dead very seldom press charges. This thief stumbled across, along with some flawed gemstones and golden trinkets, several pieces of parchment written in blood. One such item made its way to me, by means of a fence with no eye for things of true value, a black-market dealer with a penchant for the bizarre, and a knife in the back of said black-market dealer."

"The point being?" snarled the nobleman, impatient but avoiding Fish's gaze.

"The parchment is a text relating to a substance that can supposedly grant eternal life. I don't suppose you have ever heard of the Sanguine Elixir?"

"Hah! Don't tell me you believe that old story. Vampires and ghosts and old, dark gods… Nonsense to terrify children. Even if the stuff existed I wouldn't go near it."

"You'd rather die? Grow old and decrepit like your father, barely able to speak at the last? And he was such a proud knight. Fearless. Willing to die in battle to save his country. Ironic that he should wither and crumble like a dead tree, a burden on his children and the country he hoped to serve."

The noble remained silent, his eyes burning with indignation.

"Good." continued Fish, "I was hoping you'd understand. The Elixir is only too real, and if we can track down the remaining pieces of this parchment, we can produce the stuff. I need your help for this. Some of the pieces were probably sold on. Others may still be in the tombs. Wherever they are, we need to find them before someone else deciphers the script and works out what they really are."

"Fine." said the thief "Sounds like it can't be too difficult. I think I know the thief you're referring to, anyway. But I don't work for free, and I'm not going to pin my hopes on some magical potion that probably doesn't work anyway. There'd better be some money at the back of this."

"Certainly. Ten thousand to start, and another thirty thousand if we succeed in getting the whole parchment together. Plus all the equipment you need can be supplied free of charge."

"That's good. But where do you get that kind of money?"

"I have connections. If you prefer, your payment will be the Elixir. Eternal life. There is, of course, one condition. If you betray my trust, tell anyone about the existence of the Elixir, I will find you and kill you."
Old 08-24-2002, 09:40 PM   #2
Talthyr Malkaviel

Psst, good intro, but this belong's in the RP forum methinks.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:50 PM   #3
Megabot

Quote:
Psst, good intro, but this belong's in the RP forum methinks.
I take it here anyway Talthyr Malkaviel so lets see what happend if the mods see it LOL i think this is a wery good story that all of us here in gd would like to read! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 08-24-2002, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 08-24-2002, 10:42 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I just farted, and it was a bit wet. Please excuse me [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2002, 10:47 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
I just farted, and it was a bit wet. Please excuse me [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2002, 02:04 AM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry, but this *does* belong in the RP thread. Moving it there, now.

*Really*, LoA! [img]graemlins/1disgust.gif[/img] Was that necessary?

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."