Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2002, 04:53 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=lightgreen>
<u>U.K. To Halt Funding Movies That No One Sees</u>

Kim Howells, Britain's minister for tourism, film and broadcasting, is hoping to cut the flow of funding to U.K. filmmakers who produce esoteric films of no commercial value. In an interview with London's Independent on Sunday, Howells said, "There is a fine balance to be struck. We need to give young talent a leg up -- I am entirely in favor of that -- but we have also got a duty to ensure that there are good financial returns to the investments that we are putting in." Howells said that he has asked Alan Parker, the director who now heads the British Film Council, to make sure that government funds are used to produce commercially viable movies. Moreover, he criticized the British investment community of being "too unimaginative and conservative" when it came to British film. "If you compare it to the huge rush to invest in the dot-com companies at the height of that craze, those investment decisions look absolutely insane now whereas movies have a long and steady history. They are a damn good investment."

<u>Australian Schools Become Outposts For Pirates</u>

Australian schoolyards have become a major marketplace for bootleg DVDs and videogames, with some late releases selling for as little as $2.65, Melbourne's The Age newspaper reported Sunday. In a report filed from the Asia-Pacific Motion Picture Anti-Piracy conference in Beijing, the newspaper quoted Stephen Howes, director of the Australasian Film and Video Security Office, as saying that the schoolyard trade was a special concern given the fact that young persons could purchase films with the equivalent of the U.S. R rating. "You can get a young person buying something that's quite unsuitable for them," Howes remarked. </font>
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 09:50 AM   #2
YeRFDoG
The Magister

I go to an Australian school, so I will say my views to anyone that is interested.

At my school (northern suburbs of Perth in Western Australia) there is no or little selling of pirated movies. Some people have pirated DVD movies from Asian countries, but as far as i know they don't sell them to other people, although they freely lend things. Pirated or 'burnt' computer games are another matter though. Everyone burns games, its like an accepted thing, and it is fairly rare that someone will buy a proper game unless they REALLY like or want it. Also these burnt games are really bought, they are done by anyone with a CD recorder for free or the price of the blank CD.

Its exactly the same as PC games with music. Everyone burns music cds instead of buying them, or they are 'made' from mp3s downloaded from the net.

Also, I believe the issue of 'children' getting cheap pirated movies with an R rating is nothing to be worried about, at least in my school, however any computer game of any rating is easily available......
Old 04-06-2002, 12:36 PM   #3
Kresselack
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello, actually I also study at an Australian University just this year. I agree that there are no selling of pirated movies and games, however such are freely distributed through the School's network .

Coming from an Asian country that has an industry committed to pirating intellectual property I feel the reason for the situation not developing in Australia is because of this largesse .
Kresselack is offline   Reply With Quote