Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 12:57 PM   #1
Drake
Baaz Draconian

I just added some more ram to my computer. from 128 to 256 and now my computer keeps freezing or just restarting. when I go to system info it tells me i have 256 ram so its seeing the new ram... I have no idea if i have to do something to make my computer use the ram or what... any suggestions? I am running windows 2000 pro if that helps.

thnx in advance
Old 06-04-2003, 01:25 PM   #2
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

I had the same problem after installing a new graphic caard, not sure what caused it, but I shut it down for a while and it cleared it up, my suggestion anyway
Old 06-04-2003, 01:29 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Try reseating the new RAM, try running with only the new ramstick, try running with the ramsticks in different slots. Its possible somethings busted, its equally possible you have a dodgy contact somewhere. But this does sound like a dead ramstick to me.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:09 PM   #4
Drake
Baaz Draconian

stormy- you think i should turn of my ram? I dont really know how to do this. am I understanding you correctly?

andrewas- I only have one ram stick. the old 128 is no longer with us(may it [img]graemlins/tombstone.gif[/img] ) now its just one 256 stick. but I just now tried putting the ram stick in different slots, like you suggested. I couldnt seem to turn my computer back on when it was in the other slots, so I had to put it back.

is there a way to test if my ram is working properly? other than just waiting for it to crash?

BTW thnx people [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img] my normal tech buddys are all gone for the summer. without them i kinda feel helpless with things like this.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:32 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Easiest way to check if the RAM works is just to see if it crashes or not. Sounds crude, but a few dozen round of 3dmark should put enough of a strain on your PC to show any tests. Also, check all the other connections in your PC. Wouldn't be the first time someone adds ram and loosens the graphics card by acident.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:00 PM   #6
Drake
Baaz Draconian

I made sure everything was in place then I have been playing the most 3d game i have, for the last hour(didnt last 5 minutes before). it seems to be working!!! thnx andrewas you've been a big help. and with any luck its fixed for good.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:26 PM   #7
Faceman
Hathor

If you want to be sure/careful you should take the RAMstick back and have it tested (or even better replaced) at the shop. They have ways of testing it properly. I had to do so with one of the sticks in my last system.
Don't know how much hassle this is for you though (i.e. how far to the shop, how good is their service etc.) So it's just a suggestion.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:33 PM   #8
Drake
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
If you want to be sure/careful you should take the RAMstick back and have it tested (or even better replaced) at the shop. They have ways of testing it properly. I had to do so with one of the sticks in my last system.
Don't know how much hassle this is for you though (i.e. how far to the shop, how good is their service etc.) So it's just a suggestion.
a good suggestion. I didnt know you could do that. but I got it second hand anyway. I dont even know where he bought it from(its kinda old). so ill just have to stick with what andrewas suggested. just see if it crashes(hasnt yet) does kinda sound harsh though...
Old 06-04-2003, 05:05 PM   #9
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Gald to hear it seems to be running fine now. Just for future reference, if you want to (carefully!) clean the contacts on a memory module, apparently a pencil eraser does the trick [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 06-04-2003, 05:19 PM   #10
Drake
Baaz Draconian

about five minutes after replying to Faceman my computer crashed. I wonder why. it seemed to be finaly working. *puts on saddes face possible and uses the saddes tone of voice possible* darn thing just doesnt like the idea of working i guess alwell im far to tired to try anything else tonight... maybe after some sleep Ill be able to figure it out...

BTW thnx mouse ill give that a try. maybe it will do the trick. I think I know what a memory module is... well even if I dont I cant make things much worse anyway right?