Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2002, 11:09 AM   #31
The.Relic
Red Dragon

WOLFGIR! You great grey HooOowwWWwllLLiiInnNgggGG beastie! That was beautiful! [img]smile.gif[/img]
I have to agree with Saz, as long as the topics remain civil and respectful these threads are okay. The religion threads turned insensitive and disrespectful and were rightfully closed for the time being. We had some previous gun cotrol threads that also go out of hand.
I do have to say that for the most part, thanks to our mods and members, this thread has remained pretty civil. We do have a good group of people here. All you have to do is check some other board discussions on similar topics. Lets keep it this way [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2002, 11:12 AM   #32
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I'm with Saz, Cloudy (and I'm fairly sure Memnoch) on this. Unless you are embarking on a topic that has been declared taboo, we, as Mods, will generally let you carry on with it until the participant's behaviour becomes unacceptible.

Therefore, the solution to how these debates are conducted and to what extent they are allowed to continue rests firmly in the hands of the contributors. Treat each other with respect and the Mods will generally leave you alone.

Flame, curse, profane etc, and we will have to take action.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 08-23-2002, 11:30 AM   #33
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
I find your "double standard" comment to be rather offensive.
I'm sorry you find my opinion offensive, Saz, but that's how I feel about the situation. Still, I should have followed my own advice and been more diplomatic in how I express that opinion.

So, I offer a formal apology for that comment. Now, if someone could tell me the best way to cook this crow I'm fixin' to eat, I would appreciate it.

Quote:
I'm not in a position to say, but I think the moratorium was (a) a suggestion rather than a mandate and (b) enough time has passed that we can try out religious discussions again on a tentative basis.
That wasn't my understanding. When religion DID "creep into" a few threads, the Mods were there to quickly remind us that the moratorium was still in effect. Still, I appreciate the opportunity to try the discussions again. I understand you made a request on behalf of these discussions, and I thank you for that. There are few topics that I enjoy discussing more, and I eagerly look forward to being allowed to discuss it again.

Quote:
Bear in mind that if more antagonistic postings and vitriolic attacks on forum members occur again, the moratorium can be reinstated. I will posit this to Ziroc in the Webmasters forum and see what he thinks.
Fair enough. Thanks again for your request to Ziroc.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:56 PM   #34
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
quote:
I'm not in a position to say, but I think the moratorium was (a) a suggestion rather than a mandate and (b) enough time has passed that we can try out religious discussions again on a tentative basis.
That wasn't my understanding. When religion DID "creep into" a few threads, the Mods were there to quickly remind us that the moratorium was still in effect. Still, I appreciate the opportunity to try the discussions again. I understand you made a request on behalf of these discussions, and I thank you for that. There are few topics that I enjoy discussing more, and I eagerly look forward to being allowed to discuss it again.[/QUOTE]Cerek, that was in the bare FIRST TWO WEEKS after Ziroc had made his request. Some people here (and you were not one of them, btw) couldn't understand the meaning of the word "no." That is the only reason we were there to so "quickly remind you." Sadly enough, even conscientious posters such as yourself had to suffer because of it. My point was that I think enough time has passed that I'm ready to bring up the subject with Ziroc again, and I have done so in the Webmaster forum.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 08-23-2002, 02:27 PM   #35
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Saz, I sincerely appreciate your efforts. I apologize again for stating my opinion so bluntly before, but you hit the nail on the head. ALL members are suffering the consequences brought on by the actions of a relative few....and I've NEVER been a big fan of punishing an entire group because of what one or two people did. I realize there were more than "1 or 2 offenders" and I understand that the moratarium was the most efficient way for the Mods and Ziroc to handle the situation.

I have always supported the Mods and Ziroc in their decisions and will continue to do so. But this was one time when I personally disagreed strongly with the decision. Still I didn't say anything openly. I respected the decision even if I didn't agree with it.

Then when I saw the first few Posts in the original USA Post, I completely lost my composure. Still, I was wrong to make that comment. I will be more careful in the future.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:29 PM   #36
The.Relic
Red Dragon

I agree, and I also agree that we must be cautious and careful in these threads as well. I can think of one particular long time member who has not posted in quite some time due to the treatment that people who do believe in god received during that thread. These topics are truly important to be discussed, but not to the point where peoples intelligence is insulted because they do not share the same belief system. And no matter how you view it, since no position is "TRULY", "EMPIRCALLY" provable, they are just that, belief systems. They all have holes as big as "Black holes" in them if you are willing to view all of the evidence and not just the evidence that proves your particular belief system. Those of us who are old enough to be able to look at all of the ways the various belief systems have drastically modified their views and positions throughout history to try and conform to the new scientific (empirical) knowledge that we gain, can attest to this. I am not one who believes in god, at least as is understood, but I sure don't dismiss the possibility of either viewpoint, nor do I dismiss the possibility, that both can coexist together, if man were capable of comprehending it, if that were the case. We are after all human and presently incapable of truly comprehending what lies beyond our comprehension, even though we do try very hard to understand, we are "behind the eight ball" as it were, and struggling to keep up.

[ 08-23-2002, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: The.Relic ]
Old 08-24-2002, 01:26 PM   #37
MagiK

Hey Cerek! Thanks for your posts in the original thread to Moni in support of what I was saying about Bush. I had desperately wanted to point out the very things you mentioned....ie, biased sources and no supporting documentation. All of Moni's and Skywalkers links lead to completely biased websites which had no supporting documentation. I have read many Bush bashing sites with supposed quotes from Bush that have no coverage by any reputable source.

Moni, I know You hate the guy, but at least try to treat him with a bit of fairness. Detest him for what he has actually done or said....not what some internet whacko writes about him with no proof.

The reason I could not respond sooner was because I could not get into IW for such a long time. When I did get in, I would loose connection before I could make a post. LOA actually managed to help me with some very good information....Thanks LOA.

Old 08-24-2002, 03:24 PM   #38
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Hey Cerek! Thanks for your posts in the original thread to Moni in support of what I was saying about Bush. I had desperately wanted to point out the very things you mentioned....ie, biased sources and no supporting documentation. All of Moni's and Skywalkers links lead to completely biased websites which had no supporting documentation. I have read many Bush bashing sites with supposed quotes from Bush that have no coverage by any reputable source.

Moni, I know You hate the guy, but at least try to treat him with a bit of fairness. Detest him for what he has actually done or said....not what some internet whacko writes about him with no proof.

The reason I could not respond sooner was because I could not get into IW for such a long time. When I did get in, I would loose connection before I could make a post. LOA actually managed to help me with some very good information....Thanks LOA.
I hate him for what he's like .
But I'm english. Just thinking that there's a special spot in hell for Mr Bush....:whipitgoog: [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:40 PM   #39
MagiK

[quote]Originally posted by Kaltia:
Quote:
But I'm english. Just thinking that there's a special spot in hell for Mr Bush.... [img]graemlins/whipitgood.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]
Settin yourself mighty high deciding who will reside in Hell and who won't...no?

I would venture you have no personal knowledge of the man and know only what you read....just like the rest of us. Or do you hate him because he has a southern drawl and is more of a "good ol boy" than a city bred "proper speaking" gentleman? Can it be your views of the man are that shallow?

I personally dislike the way he has handled some of the recent situations but I believe he is the most honest down home "real" person to hold the office of president since Jimmy Carter and is probably one of the top 10 in honesty ratings....but those are just my personal beliefs not backed up by evidence I can present here.

Cheers!

Old 08-24-2002, 03:42 PM   #40
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Quote:
But I'm english. Just thinking that there's a special spot in hell for Mr Bush.... [img]graemlins/whipitgood.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]
Settin yourself mighty high deciding who will reside in Hell and who won't...no?

I would venture you have no personal knowledge of the man and know only what you read....just like the rest of us. Or do you hate him because he has a southern drawl and is more of a "good ol boy" than a city bred "proper speaking" gentleman? Can it be your views of the man are that shallow?

I personally dislike the way he has handled some of the recent situations but I believe he is the most honest down home "real" person to hold the office of president since Jimmy Carter and is probably one of the top 10 in honesty ratings....but those are just my personal beliefs not backed up by evidence I can present here.
Cheers!
Hey, I SAID I was english! I've seen him in TV interviews. I don't go researching his ugly face on the internet. And I am the last person to call shallow and to me that was an insult of the HIGHEST order!

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.