Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2000, 12:45 AM   #1
Elowin
Welcomed New User

Christmas Day and a little of the eclipse of the Sun is still visible on the central coast of California.

Now back to fantasy...

The Priest is still a priest. This brings up something I have been puting off or down-right ignoring. I now have three level 13 Warriors, a level 13 Priest, a level 13 Wizard, and a level 14 Rogue. The Warriors are level 7 in the Warrior Guild, the Priest is level 6 in the Priest Guild, the Wizard is level 5 in the Wizard Guild, and the Rogue is level 6 in the Thief Guild. From what I recall from an earlier thread level 14 was the minimum level to reach before taking on an Elite Role and I assumed this was the main level and not the Guild level? My Rogue could become either a Bard or Ninja now. But what about the Warriors. They could become Ranger, Samurai, Paladin, Barbarian, or Ninjas too but is it premature for them at level 13? The Priest and Wizard at level 13 should wait another level or two--forinstance I don't have Firestorm yet.

It seems to me though that the Warriors and Rogue could advance into Elite roles now and if so what ones? I'm not keen on the Bard nor oriental martial art types. I think I read recently that the Bard "instruments" aren't as effective as a good 'ol steel blade? If the Rogue goes Ninja I trust she can still disarm and open things as before? Currently Chests are "Easy" 99.9% of the time--even the new ones around Brimloch Roon. She hasn't used any level lockpick for a long long time now. Her skill in Traps&Locks is 7.1 or so.

How does Athletics work? Is the entire party as weak as the weakest members Athletics level? My weakest is 2 and best is 5. The party still could not scale Dragon's Spire.

If the Rogue does go Ninja, then I am inclined to advance the Warriors to Ranger, Paladin, and Barbarian and skip Samurai since it was not a part of my early D&D "knight" development as before?

Please give me some clues and ideas on the above. Thank you much.
Elowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 12:45 AM   #2
Gauleiter

My Priest has the 2-Handed (Cursed) Serpent Staff equipped; yes, the curse is annoying, but it costs lots of money (like 3k I think) to Uncurse it, and the loss is negligible for my Oomphaz. He always hits 8 or 10 with the Staff, so he's not entirely worthless at close combat.
Old 12-26-2000, 02:50 AM   #3
Elowin
Welcomed New User

Merry Xmas everyone.

I can't find any second weapon for the Priest. Any ideas? Use the slot for a bomb or something?

What does the Underwater Helm do? I think I see (possible pun intended) no difference with or without it underwater--but not certain of this yet as I have not done any deep dives. I have two Underwater Breathers too and have not used them yet. Main thing is do all six party members need a Breather and/or a Helm? I guess I will find out soon enough.

I have Talrik's treasure map. It mentions crossing the "second" sea? Would that be The Lost Sea since The Enchanted Sea would be the first?

I have three Raptor eggs. I sold them (0 coins) to the Armory and can get at least one back if and when some quest or reason surfaces?

Thank you for the clues.
Old 12-26-2000, 03:18 AM   #4
Lily the Ranger

Is he priest or paladin? Paladins can use edged weapons. If you have thrown bombs good.

You will need breather and helms for all to go scubaing lengthens time you can stay underwater. Good to have them by the time you go to Temple of Isis.

Talriks map is no good til you get thru temple of Isis.

Raptor eggs - Ranger quest
Old 12-26-2000, 04:09 PM   #5
carg
The Magister

There are side hammers for priests, but I think I found all of them as random treasure, so you'll run into them sooner or later.
The underwater helm makes that you can stay longer under water before receiving damage, and equipped breathers increase that again.
About promotions: I guess it's a bit late to tell you this, but I do not agree that character level 14 is a magic minimum for class changing. Actually I would advice any warrior to change to barbarian right away: it has no disadvantages except you'll need a little more Xp (around 10% I believe) to level up, but you get more skills, the useful trait fury and more hitpoints. Likewise for rogue to say ninja, although you can only do that after entering Ishad N'Ha.
For spellcasters I would advice to wait until you got the spells you're going to need, unless you plan to change to warlock, because that one can learn from all schools. (I know this is easier said than done, because at the start you don't know which spells you'll need, but there are some other messages on this board about that.)
The oriental classes are probably the best ones for fighter and rogue types, so I wouldn't skip those if I were you. (Unless you prefer role-playing to building a strong party of course.) The skills and traits you can learn at the bushi guild are definitely worth looking into.
Anyway, I would advice you to start thinking about how you'd like to do the promotions, and check your thoughts in the guilds, because e.g. a warrior can't directly change to warlock: you can only promote to warlock in the wizard and priest guild, so you'll have to find another role to join one of those first. (Of course you can exploit a bug to become member of another guild without actually joining, but I prefer to give advice you can follow without cheating.) Example: if you plan to change your priest to paladin, learn as many useful high level vine spells as you can (get cure!), because the paladin can still learn the spirit ones. So planning ahead is very useful.
Anyway, I can understand somewhat better that you were having trouble with a number of fights if you're still at the basic classes. (That is except those mantraps: everyone has problems with those.)

I'm sorry some of the advice above is a bit late, but I hope you can use it anyway.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 02:42 PM   #6
Elowin
Welcomed New User

For better or worse I have upgraded my warriors and rogue. I will wait a little on upgrading the priest to a monk and the wizard to a warlock. I had a little trouble with the warrior to ranger as he could no longer wear her fine plate so I remember something. Sure enough she can wear the Dragon Plate just fine. I swapped plate armor and went on to "qualifications". My soon-to-be Paladin needs to find the Altar of Serran?

Right now the party is near the Serpent Temple. Before I leave the area and go back through the Dragon's Spire I _need to know_ generally where the Altar of Serran is. I suspect, since either or both Torin or Oakenmir made mention of some shrine to the far north that I will find it north of or on The Enchanted Isle somewhere. PLEASE confirm and if this altar is located east of Dragon's Spire please state exactly where.

Coupled to this I would like to know if either the Monk or Warlock will require us to travel east again through Dragon's Spire again or if all quests are done will we be done with Dragon's Spire?

Thank you.
Old 12-27-2000, 05:09 PM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

There are 2 altars of Serran. The first is above the gypsy house back in the Lake Nymph region. The other is in the Lost Sea area, in an alcove below the entrance to the Isle of sands. You will have to get through the Temple of Anephas to get there. If your at Serpent Temple and want your Paladin, my advice is Gypsy House.

Oh, no, it's OK, Dragonspire is complete. But if no-one in your party has top level moon spells or athletics, and you want to travel between Ishad and Brimloch .......... Keep a hold of the bridge crank if you have to go back in. The bridge resets itself to open.
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 07:22 PM   #8
Elowin
Welcomed New User

Ah yest the bridge crank--I already know it is needed. I have part of the traveling through Dragon Spire memorized and part I always get goofed up in--the first port. The party has enough strength to hang anywhere along the almost shear wall of Dragon's Spire but not enough to climb up it.

I don't remember any altar at the Gypsy house or the area. Perhaps now that one of the party is trying to become a Paladin the alter will be more obvious much like finding the scroll on the table in the Serpent's Temple--I just know it wasn't there the first time through.

Thanks. And will we still be coming back or are we really finished east of Dragon Spire?
Old 12-28-2000, 03:51 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Major elements east of the Spire :
1) Kill Elyssia, get mask, get Tome (for Zenmaster)
2) Kill Haleabus, get word and cloth
3) Get Dragonarmour, kill Raskallion, get assassin dagger
4) Complete boogre caves (for the quests, the rewards, the tome for Zenmaster, and the experience of beein da boogresh.
5) Dragonspire - Mavin.

Sounds like you have done all those (oh and enjoy the quick deaths that only a mantrap surprise can bring).

The altar in Lake Nymph region is about under the B of "abandoned lake house" on the map (ie a little north and west) - and it should always be there, quest should not matter on this one.
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote