Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2003, 12:09 PM   #1
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Question Mark

Simple question
What, if any, is the moral and ethical responsiblity to the populous at large?

Scenario 1:
While walking down the street you observe a mugging take place. Two (apparently) unarmed thugs are robbing an unknown woman in broad daylight. There are no police within sight, and no one else seems to take notice or choose to intervene. What, if any, responsibility do you have?

Scenario 2:
The thugs in scenario #1 are now armed with hand guns. You are unarmed. The woman's life is in obvious danger. What is your responsibliity now?

Scenario 3:The woman in scenario #2 is now a close friend, or relative. What is your responsibliity now?

Answer these questions to yourself. If your answer differes from scenario-to-scenario, ask yourself why?

I borrowed this from a martial arts forum and thought that some of the people here might like to toss the idea around.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:22 PM   #2
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

call 911 for help on my cell phone, on all of them.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:24 PM   #3
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

1) I'd shout my lungs out, then chase, if I see even a glimpse of a weapon I'd run back to the woman.

2) I'd shout, call for help, but definately not chase.

3) Ditto from 1
Old 01-29-2003, 09:10 PM   #4
Lavindathar
Harper

1. Chase them, hurt them.
2. Sensibly leave it be, call the police, and HOPE its just a mugging with no pointless violence.
3. Grab the biggest, heaviest thing I can find, and t^^t one of them around the head. The second guy'd shoot me(?), and then the woman can get the gun? Or something. At least I'd av got one of em. Only if it was my mother/gma or very close relative.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:31 PM   #5
Aragorn The Wise
Manshoon

1) I would yell "FREEZE POLICE!". Knowing most common unarmed thugs they won't want to get arrested and run away thus protecting the female and myself for any sort of violence. I would also call 911 on my cell phone before doing this.
2) Call 911 as soon as I witness this and assest the sitution based on the surrounding area. Weather or not I could sneak up on them or just call the police and try to distract them from the female.
3) In my best ability save whoever is being mugged without really thinking it through. No matter how much you say you will act cool when you see a loved one getting mugged by 2 armed men you act before you think.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:02 PM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I'm not eager to jump in the line of sight of someone who points a gun, but you never know how you'd react in situations like that. Let's just say i hope i never have to go through this.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:27 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I call the police from my cell phone and try to study the muggers face by hard before the police arrive.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:52 AM   #8
homer
Manshoon

I believe it is the ethical responsibly of any individual to intervene, to the best of their abilities.

In the given scenario there are others around who have not noticed or have not chosen to act. If no one acts, then most likely no else will. However, if one person decides to do something, hopefully some else will also. I think as civilized human beings, who care for everyone, we should all be that first person to act.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:26 AM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
Simple question
What, if any, is the moral and ethical responsiblity to the populous at large?

Scenario 1:
While walking down the street you observe a mugging take place. Two (apparently) unarmed thugs are robbing an unknown woman in broad daylight. There are no police within sight, and no one else seems to take notice or choose to intervene. What, if any, responsibility do you have?

Scenario 2:
The thugs in scenario #1 are now armed with hand guns. You are unarmed. The woman's life is in obvious danger. What is your responsibliity now?

Scenario 3:The woman in scenario #2 is now a close friend, or relative. What is your responsibliity now?

Answer these questions to yourself. If your answer differes from scenario-to-scenario, ask yourself why?

I borrowed this from a martial arts forum and thought that some of the people here might like to toss the idea around.
To make sure she is personally safe.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-30-2003, 08:10 AM   #10
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

very good question Hunter.

1) Been in that sort of situation before. Confronted said punks (with a few friends), intimidated them away.

2) Hard decision, and I don't really think that a reasoned answer can be given. It would be more of an on-the-spot action situation I think, although it would be nice to think I'd do something to help.

3) That would make the decision easier (theoretically). I wouldn't be able to live myself if I had the opportunity to defend a loved one but chose not to.

I think homer is on to something. Lead by example. Show others that you are not afraid and people will rally behind you (which ties into my number 1 answer). Bullies are surprisingly quick to stand down to firm opposition.

[ 01-30-2003, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]