Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2001, 08:23 AM   #1
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Looks like you might want to think twice before signing up for SETI...if you value your privacy, that is... Check out the below link:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/580466.asp

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 05-31-2001, 03:50 PM   #2
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Don't be paranoid! So what if a few hackers stole some email addresses. They could just as easily hacked into AOL and stole addresses, or any university system or business!

Like I stated before, the SETI@home program is safe!! You supply just as much personal information for their project as you do to sign up for Ironworks. Should we not worry about someone hacking into tgeweb and stealing our email addresses??

If you are a paranoid freak then don't sign up for it and while you are at it, make sure you shred any documents you may throw away, there might be someone looking through your trash. And don't use your cell phone, there are people out there that can intercept your signal and program it into their phones. And don't go outside, the Government has satelites that track your every move.

That article linked above, is nothing more than the paranoid media f***s trying to play on people's fears!

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 05-31-2001, 03:54 PM   #3
Gaelic
Elminster

These are the same media morons who think a 19 year old trying to buy beer is news.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 05-31-2001, 05:48 PM   #4
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
Don't be paranoid! So what if a few hackers stole some email addresses. They could just as easily hacked into AOL and stole addresses, or any university system or business!

Like I stated before, the SETI@home program is safe!! You supply just as much personal information for their project as you do to sign up for Ironworks. Should we not worry about someone hacking into tgeweb and stealing our email addresses??

If you are a paranoid freak then don't sign up for it and while you are at it, make sure you shred any documents you may throw away, there might be someone looking through your trash. And don't use your cell phone, there are people out there that can intercept your signal and program it into their phones. And don't go outside, the Government has satelites that track your every move.

That article linked above, is nothing more than the paranoid media f***s trying to play on people's fears!

Moridins one of their undercover agents dont listen to him he just wants to hack in to your computer!

------------------
BOW TO THE BISCUIT KING AND HIS THRONE OF SCONE!!!
Old 06-01-2001, 09:27 AM   #5
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Now, now Moridin...play nice... I don't really take kindly to being flamed as a "...paranoid freak..." just because I happen to have a different opinion than you do.

BTW, I do shred documents that I throw away. Have you ever had your identity stolen and your life (well...your credit anyway) ruined. One of my closest friends (quite successful friend actually) had hers stolen. It all started with her throwing out a credit card solicitation without destroying it first. It is suspected that a dumpster diver got ahold of it and somehow, eventually, got ahold of her SSN and proceeded to put her thousands and thousands of dollars in debt w/out her ever knowing it until much later...

Anyway...that's a whole 'nother story. Please don't flame people for not agreeing with your opinions.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Throntar (edited 06-01-2001).]
Old 06-01-2001, 09:38 AM   #6
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

hey.. hey...

throntar, both was uncalled for. you do not have to counter a flame no matter how mild or little it is. in my opinion, that was a counterflame...

BOTH of you stop it, or it will just be one of those worthless battles that the forum members tire of. NO ONE is a paranoid freak and NO ONE looks like a juvenile with his comments... anyways.. umm.. err.... yeah

anyways, lets just have a happy chat with this one

hey, SETI maybe just was plain unlucky... and as you said, peeps will really think twice about it... same here, same with any other company i believe...

------------------

We have merged... and now we are called Chiharumut..wehehehe and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 06-01-2001, 09:58 AM   #7
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Throntar

I apologize for my 'harsh' comments. They were not directed at you, but to people in general. The post was not meant as a flame, but rather me being fed up with the media in general for posting crap like this. Is this the first time a hacker stole some material from a website? NO!! IT IS NOT NEWS

And I take offense to you generalizing about me from one post! If you knew anything about me, you would know that I honor and respect everyone's opinion, and you would also know that I will state and defend my opinion strongly.

Oh, and yes I have had my identity stolen and my credit ruined! My sister and brother-in-law took two of my credit card statements while they were visiting once. They then used these to apply for two more credit cards, while racking up nearly $5000 through internet and phone purchases using the card #'s on the stolen statements! I learned my lesson and now, like you, shred everything that may contain 'useful' info for a thief, but I also know where to draw the line on being safe and being silly!!

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 06-01-2001, 10:17 AM   #8
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I agree with Bahamut. It is possible to carry on a civil discussion without using attacking language (flaming).

Both of you have made your points, so let's get on with the civil part of the discussion.

I have some colleagues who use the SETI@Home program on school computers. I've never heard of them having any problems. I chose not to participate. I am a bit paranoid at any program I don't understand running on my computer. I also don't like to circulate my school e-mail for fear of getting inundated with junk mail. It looks like SETI@Home has plugged the big security gap.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 06-01-2001, 10:27 AM   #9
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

I wonder if we have any Computing Security/IS Security folks on this board? It would be very interesting to me to get their opinion of this SETI thing.

------------------

Old 06-01-2001, 10:31 AM   #10
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

hey! some of the hackers are my friends!

------------------