Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2001, 12:35 AM   #1
Bullvye
Dungeon Master

I've been playing AD&D, both first and second edition, since around 1982!( I still believe first edition is the best!) I know I'm new here and dont have a really good idea of how the clans work on this board, but I'd love to either start, or belong to a clan of "old school" warriors, rangers, thieves and mages!

Anyone with me?....or is there anyone willing to direct me?
Old 10-19-2001, 12:40 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

ROFL! I just posted about being a 1st edition player in Cerise's thread! Yes, I've played 1st ed AD&D all the way back in 1981 and 1982, back with the classic books (DM's manual with the huge red demon on it, and the Player's Handbook with the demon statue with the huge burning brazier). We used to make up our own worlds...no Faerun, no Forgotten Realms, etc.

One of the best 1st ed. campaigns I ever ran was set in a world very similar to 1500 B.C.'s Israel/Egypt, with Hebraic runes/magical system, huge burial tombs, priestly caste/structure, the whole 9 yards. It was right after Raiders of the Lost Ark had made such a huge splash and all the players just loved it. Talk about fun back then!

Cheers,

------------------
Old 10-19-2001, 12:51 AM   #3
Bullvye
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
ROFL! I just posted about being a 1st edition player in Cerise's thread! Yes, I've played 1st ed AD&D all the way back in 1981 and 1982, back with the classic books (DM's manual with the huge red demon on it, and the Player's Handbook with the demon statue with the huge burning brazier). We used to make up our own worlds...no Faerun, no Forgotten Realms, etc.

One of the best 1st ed. campaigns I ever ran was set in a world very similar to 1500 B.C.'s Israel/Egypt, with Hebraic runes/magical system, huge burial tombs, priestly caste/structure, the whole 9 yards. It was right after Raiders of the Lost Ark had made such a huge splash and all the players just loved it. Talk about fun back then!

Cheers,

Pleasure to meet you my friend!...One of my very favorite adventures was from the "Grayhawke" role-playing setting, many years ago called "Scourge of the Slave Lords" Talk about a great time? We played that module for probably three moths or more!

God we must be getting old!...So what about it? How about a few of us old timers getting together and showing these kids how a D&D game is SUPPOSED to be played?.LOL

By the way, I still have those first edition books.....the DM's manual,Players Handbook, and Unearthed Arcana! I hear that they are worth something now!.........now I really feel old! Yes All FIRST EDITION, including the FIRST TWO MONSTER MANUAL'S! Maybe I should hit "e-bay"......NOT!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Bullvye (edited 10-19-2001).]
Old 10-19-2001, 01:14 AM   #4
Bullvye
Dungeon Master

Hey Sazerac,.....Do you remember quite a while back, a group of modules and bookscalled "Ravenhawke"? or something?...I till have them!...What a great online game thet could be!.what do you think?

[This message has been edited by Bullvye (edited 10-19-2001).]
Old 10-19-2001, 01:47 AM   #5
Bullvye
Dungeon Master

Anyway anyone who has served his/her time in the real-time game play of old, please come forward! Many adventures await you and your pc's of old! Together we can begin a clan that will truly rule the current opposition and begin a force that will make history on this forum! " All hail the old farts of the first edition!" Lets start our own clan! WHAT SAY YOU?
Old 10-19-2001, 03:29 AM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Dear Bullvye,

Thanks for replying! I'd like to join in a game such as you are proposing. As it is right now, it's pretty late here and I have to work in the morning, but I'd like to discuss more on this later on.

Cheers!

------------------
Old 10-19-2001, 03:35 AM   #7
Rikard

Is 1st Edition more like AD&D or more like 3rd Edition?
and what are the differences?

------------------
Behold he who stands before you

Almighty (shared) Leader of the OHF
Proud member of the Ancients Club
The one True Druidic Sorcerer of the Laughing Hyena's
Last of the Ancient race known as the Red Fluffies
Summoner of Bunnies

Spam Sentinal of the Ironworks
"You can Run, You can Hide,
But you can never do both"

I'm Watching you...

Old 10-19-2001, 03:44 AM   #8
Debaser

Ad&d first edition and third edition don't have much in common, i'd have to say.

First edition is by far my favorite d&d setup...one of many things i prefer are the mage and cleric spells...a lot of them got scrapped 2nd edition, and 3rd edition has scrapped some 2nd editions stuff, so you can see how far removed 1st is from 3rd.

the sourcebooks look better...the rule system is cooler....the spells are totally badass. First edition all the way
I'm a big Dragonlance fan, and I have the first edition sourcebook for that. it's even better than the tales of the lance box set, though less extensive, but better nonetheless
Old 10-19-2001, 04:20 AM   #9
Argus
The Magister

I even remember the old Deities and Demigods which had the Ctulhu (sp?) mythos in it before it got axed in the reprint. Let me know if you guys need another old-school 1st edition player...I'm in.
Old 10-19-2001, 05:11 AM   #10
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Anyone here who still plays 2nd ed?

[This message has been edited by Neb (edited 10-19-2001).]