Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Finky
Elite Waterdeep Guard

This post may contain some spoilers if you haven't been through Chapter 4 yet:
-
-
-
-
-
-
ok, so I'm at the Black Raven Monestary in the last of the 8 Chambers - the
Chamber of Immolation, and I'm pulling my hair out! What a pain in the @#$!
Anyway, before I go in, my 12th lvl Ranger (the only one who seems to be able to even score a hit on the Brass Monks) learns 3 spells: A 1st level Rgr spell
"Minor Elemental Barrier", 2nd level Rgr spell "Protection from Fire", and a 3rd level Rgr spell "Cure Moderate wounds". Note; he is not wearing armor when he learns these. WHY then can I not cast the Cure Moderate Wounds spell when I wake up from resting? It is grayed out - the other spells are fine and can be cast. Am I missing something? Everyone else in my party is useless against this room - if they can protect themselves from the fire, they can't hit the monks. If they can hit the monks they are burned to death in 3 seconds! Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated!

Thanks
finky
Finky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:46 AM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

He porbably has only 12 wisdom. Rangers also need 10+ level of spell to cast a spell.
And about the chamber, what is your party?
Old 01-12-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

This is tough for a 6 person party. If you have any drow, monks, or barbarians, they are your best bet. Have your fastest warrior fight, since you can run away from the flame strikes. In my most recent misadventure, I used my drow ranger/rogue/mage, who was able to resist the fire and hack away with dual wielded short swords, and eventually win. Good luck!

Also, have you used that useful item in the monastery shop yet?
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
Finky
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ahhhh HA! That's it. You're right Bozo, he only has a 12 Wisdom. Thanks for pointing that out - it was driving me crazy!
Well, I am also doing a LotR based party. I guess
I'm paying for it as the party is a little straight forward and there are no drow, barbarians, nor monks in the party that could help in this situation. Here it is:

Aragorn-12 lvl Ranger
Gandalf-11 lvl Wizard
Legolas- 6/6 lvl Ranger/Fighter
Gimli-12 lvl Fighter
Arwen-6/6 lvl Druid/Cleric of Lathander (needed a band aid for the party)
Frodo-12 lvl Rogue

My newest strategy might be to find a scroll of Protection from Fire (3rd level Wizard spell) & have my Gandalf character learn it, then go in & cast Tenser's Transformation and Prot. from Fire and see what he could do. Any ideas where I might find one? I checked upstairs in the Monestary, but they don't have one. Hmmmmm. Any other ideas?
Anyone?

Marty, what useful item are you talking about?

Thanks for your help Bozo & Marty.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Well, next to monks and barbarians, I always found that wizards beat this room easily too. Prebuff yourself before entering the room, and then unleash cold, acid and lightning(works good) spells inside.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #6
Finky
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hmmmm. Thanks Bozo, tried your strategy with my wizard - the monks are unaffected by most of my offensive spells. It seems like my protective spells work. I can kill one monk, but by the time I get to the other one, I'm toast (literally).

I don't know, this game is starting to become frustrating, annoying, and not fun anymore. It is really annoying when I try to avoid the Flame Strikes and my guy doesn't run in the direction I tell him to, or he just stops for no reason and gets burnt real bad. Then when there is a slight window of opportunity for my guy to get some hits in, he can't hit even once (Attack Rolls of 2 or 3 are all I'm getting). It's this kinda stuff that bothers me. I've been wasting a month trying to get past this damn room. I think I'm gonna throw this IWD CD into the fireplace.

(I know, I know "Boooooooooo Hooooooooooo, but I had to vent)

Can anyone tell me without spoiling too much, does it get any better in the game after this? Any role playing / choices to be made? Or is it more boring hack 'n' slash stuff, kill the boss, move on to the next chapter? Is the ending at least good?
Old 01-13-2005, 05:27 AM   #7
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Well you have a few more nice chapters to complete, some of which I really like. Roleplaying is something IWD2 generally lacks, but you get some more chances at the end of the game. And yes, IMHO, the ending is both good, as well as challenging.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:54 AM   #8
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

What you can do, which is the step i take before throwing the cd in the bin, is to download Dalekeeper and give your guy super resistance to fire. Once you've beaten the stage, save, reset the resistance and play on.

(And also delete Dalekeeper, otherwise you'll be tempted to do other things to your characters...i speak from experience)
Old 01-13-2005, 05:36 PM   #9
Pystal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Or you can just enable the cheats console and use the instant kill the char on the end of the mouse pointer trick. Just don't use it ever again (unless you are stuck again)or you will find the game boring.

I think you need to hit the Ctrl and Tab key at the same time to bring up the console. Then type enable cheats or something like that. Then hit enter twice. After that I think you point the mouse at the creature you want dead and then hit Ctrl and y at the same time. I am not sure butI think that is how it is done.

Good luck.

Btw... the game does become more fun after this chapter. I enjoyed the rest of the game. Have fun.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:28 PM   #10
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

U have to enable cheats from the configuration menu first, hit enter then type: ctrlaltdelete:enablecheatkeys() then enter again. But seriously, dont quit, this is one of the coolest games ever.