Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2001, 01:03 AM   #11
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
Thanks, I've booked marked it, i'll look at it when I'm not at work. Well I dont want to become a hardcore fan but i thought i ought to know something about the sport, I dont want to be ignorant of it

Well, if you have any more questions on it, feel free to ask. I'll talk about it all day long with ya!

------------------

Protector and Defender of Nature
Awake, Aware and Loving Life to the best of my abilities
Tracker of the fair Cleric Charean
Old 06-08-2001, 05:50 AM   #12
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeeke75:
Well, if you have any more questions on it, feel free to ask. I'll talk about it all day long with ya!

Thank you Zeeke. I am confused about the following:

1 How is ERA (earned run average) calculated?
2 How many innings does the starting pitcher have to pitch before he gets the win or loss attributed to him?
3 How do you calculate the differences in the standings when teams have not played an equal number of games?

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 06-08-2001, 09:00 AM   #13
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Thank you Zeeke. I am confused about the following:

1 How is ERA (earned run average) calculated?
2 How many innings does the starting pitcher have to pitch before he gets the win or loss attributed to him?
3 How do you calculate the differences in the standings when teams have not played an equal number of games?

Oh, goodie, questions!!! Ok. Let's see...

1. Multiply the total number of earned runs by nine, and divide the results by the total innings pitched.

2. Length of pitching does come into play all that much. The pitcher of record when the winning/losing run is scored is credited with the win or loss. So, a pitcher could (and often does) get a loss with only pitching to one batter.

3. Something I haven't got quite firgured out yet how to answer. Give me a little time, and I'll come up with it (it's too early).

------------------

Old 06-08-2001, 10:33 AM   #14
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Ok, here is the answer to question number 3...

Each game played by a team is counted as one half of a game in the standings. So, in order for a full game to be between two teams, one would have to lose and the other win. The "games behind" that you see in the standings is based on the record of the team at the top of the division. Each time a team behind them loses, and they win, the losing team goes another "game behind".

In the event that two teams are tied as far as the half-game situation goes, then the standings are calculated by the winning percentage for each team. Best one takes the lead...

It's confusing, but that's half the fun!!!

Hope this helps, if not, I'll try to explain it better.

------------------

Old 06-08-2001, 11:51 AM   #15
Donut
Jack Burton

d
Quote:
Originally posted by Zeeke75:
Ok, here is the answer to question number 3...

Each game played by a team is counted as one half of a game in the standings. So, in order for a full game to be between two teams, one would have to lose and the other win. The "games behind" that you see in the standings is based on the record of the team at the top of the division. Each time a team behind them loses, and they win, the losing team goes another "game behind".

In the event that two teams are tied as far as the half-game situation goes, then the standings are calculated by the winning percentage for each team. Best one takes the lead...

It's confusing, but that's half the fun!!!

Hope this helps, if not, I'll try to explain it better.

Reeka, the next sound you hear will be the sound of my head exploding

Okay - two more questions, what constitutes an 'earned run'?

Also, I notice you live in Minnesota. The last time I was in the States I was talking to a guy in a bar (as you do). He told me that once a year in Minnesota you can get $1.25 for every pair of gopher feet that you hand in (having killed the gopher first). Was he pulling my leg or is this true?

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 06-08-2001, 12:01 PM   #16
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Hmmm. You're head exploding, huh? Well, THAT wouldn't be good!!

And earned run is a run that is scored without any errors being involved. So, reaching base on a hit, walk, hit-by-pitch, etc, and then scoring, is considered an earned run.

Basically, if a runner reaches base on an error, and ends up scoring, it's not an earned run. Then, any other runs scored, in that inning, after that runner scores are unearned runs.

As far as the gopher feet thing, personally, I've never heard of it, but there are some pretty bizarre festivals up in northern MN, so it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

------------------