Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2002, 01:52 PM   #1
Fresco
Welcomed New User

Good day,

I'm new to this game and I have a question: can I increase the strength of my character ? (like in Diablo II when you level up)

My character is an elven archer with lots of 'stars' for using the long bow. The problem is that I can't use longbows because I lack the strength.

Thx
Fresco
Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 02:03 PM   #2
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

Welcome Fresco.

No BGII is not like diablo in the sense that your stats essentially stay with you the entire game except for some special spots. Without spoiling you, it happens near the end of SoA and in the middle of ToB if you have it.

Until then, visit the adventurers mart and buy the belt of some giants strength with should get you to 19 or 20 and then you can use any bow you want.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:05 PM   #3
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Hi and wecome to this forum, Fresco.

No, on level-ups, you won't get any points to spend on increasing your stats. However, there are items in the game that, while worn, give you a bonus to certain stats. For STR, a certain belt springs to mind. Just continue with the game and you'll find it somewhere in a shop eventually.
Also, there is an instance, quite near the end of the game, where you can get a permanent bonus to certain stats. And if you have the expansion ToB, there will be more of these opportunities.

EDIT: Ah, too late. I should work on my typing speed, I see.

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: J'aran ]

J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 12:47 AM   #4
koconnor100
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by Fresco:
Good day,

I'm new to this game and I have a question: can I increase the strength of my character ? (like in Diablo II when you level up)

My character is an elven archer with lots of 'stars' for using the long bow. The problem is that I can't use longbows because I lack the strength.

Thx
Fresco

There's a Girdle of Hill Giant Strength available for sale in the Adventurer's mart. But that's about it. Str 19 , but that will let you use every weapon that requires high strenght and wear even the heaviest of armor ,so it's all that you need.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:38 AM   #5
Fresco
Welcomed New User

Thx for your help. I now found a regular longbow that I can use, it was the composite longbow that was too heavy. So my problem is solved.
Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 09:29 AM   #6
arbitanx
Elite Waterdeep Guard

you don't need a composite bow that much. there are good normal long bows to use.

the weird thing about composite long bows is that those tiny goblins get to use them whereas your hulking adventurer doesn't.
arbitanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 03:16 PM   #7
Nifft the Nimble

quote:
Originally posted by arbitanx:
the weird thing about composite long bows is that those tiny goblins get to use them whereas your hulking adventurer doesn't.

Yeah, I think that's a bug. Goblin archers all carry short bows... as do kobold commmandos.

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote