Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2002, 06:26 PM   #1
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Klez.E is the most common world-wide spreading worm.It's very dangerous by corrupting your files.
Because of its very smart stealth and anti-anti-virus technic,most common AV software can't detect or clean it.
We developed this free immunity tool to defeat the malicious virus.
You only need to run this tool once,and then Klez will never come into your PC.
NOTE: Because this tool acts as a fake Klez to fool the real worm,some AV monitor maybe cry when you run it.
If so,Ignore the warning,and select 'continue'.
If you have any question,please mail to me <-- this one was a mail adress to someone i never have heard about before but i deleted the whole thingie! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I got this mail today do you think this is a new way to spread viruses trough mail?
It also have a attchments with a file name "MDL.scr" (91,4 kb)size so what do you think?
PS i have deleted the mail without opening the file!
Old 08-21-2002, 06:33 PM   #2
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Bingo !! you're right megabot, its a virus or a worm, the method its using is called social engineering in which one uses one's people skills to get info outta people or make them do something that makes them either vulnerable or infected with trojans/virii. So it'd be recommendable not to open it!
Old 08-21-2002, 06:35 PM   #3
Mojo
Elminster

The fact the it's an .scr file also makes it doubtable. That's not a program, it's a screensaver (or so it would have you belive...)
Old 08-21-2002, 06:49 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Whatever you do eivind, don't open it !!!! Delete it right away.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:14 PM   #5
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Whatever you do eivind, don't open it !!!! Delete it right away.
Yeah Johnny i allwais do that with "attchments" mails from peoples i dont knove so i have only had virus in my pc 1 time for all the years i have had pc about 15 years.
I only post this topic so all you guys on IW that not have the xp in computer and virus thingies to be careful NOT open any mail with "attchments" from peoples you dont knove!!! The mail can be like what i have showe you in my post above

[ 08-21-2002, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 08-21-2002, 07:28 PM   #6
Deathbringer

I got an email from someone named 'QueenofDarkness' and the subject was '.' - It also had an attachment that was nearly 1 meg. I deleted it straight away. I would suggest doing the same.

that follows another email i got from someone called 'slavetothedark'

[ 08-21-2002, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Deathbringer ]

Old 08-22-2002, 07:03 AM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ok, not opening attachments from people you don`t know is a start, BUT
1) You should NEVER open emails from someone you don`t know. Especially not if they`re more than 1-2 kb.
2) Even if an attachment is from a trusted source, virus scan it before opening it. This goes for ANYTHING you download, even if it comes through a POP3 which scans for viruses itself.
3) Even if you have auto virus protection running, still scan for viruses manually.
4) Even with all of those precations, make sure your virus scanner is set to do a full system scan at least once per week.

This should protect you from most viruses [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and ofcourse you should have reliable virus scanners- the most reliable are PC Cillin and Norton AntiVirus; McAffee despite common "knowledge" is NOT reliable- it has very outdated definitions, and can be very unstable at times.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:35 AM   #8
Moni

Someone I actually know sent me the Klez virus and I downloaded the attachment because I thought I knew them (turns out the e-mail addie was a letter off from the real person and anyone using aol knows that their own e-mail can be hacked and crap sent out to everyone while the hacker has the time)
Anyway, I downloaded the file and signed off to go check it out (because I thought it was from someone I knew) AVG Virus Scanner (Free And Reliable, get it Here picked up on it the second I was offline (the same second the download was done).

I would suggest to those of you who don't have a virus scanner, to download and use this one, you don't have to have it running in the background for it to work (I didn't because it could conflict with my firewall) and it is regularly updated.

Pay close attention to the names of people you think you know who send you files and better yet, if a file is sent to you from someone you know, ask them what it is before opening it...they may not have sent it!

[ 08-22-2002, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 08-22-2002, 09:11 AM   #9
WillowIX
Apophis

And you can also use the dual AV. I use both Norton and Inoculate (got it when it was free [img]smile.gif[/img] ). The great thing about Inoculate is that it finds viruses that have been triple packed, with different archives. Otherwise it probably sux lol.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:35 AM   #10
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I recieved a similar email today - was from someone I don't know - claimed that only this new update (similar attachment - .SCR abbreviation) could detect Klez virus's - even had the hide to suggest I check with Symantec.com if you don't believe them - Nortons scanner running in the background (definitions updated yeaterday) quarrantined the attachment because it was klez.