Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2003, 02:29 AM   #1
Starfire
The Magister

I just bought this game today, I tried clearing out the smugglers cave only to be killed so I reloaded and decided to go to Balmora. From what I understand you can join all the guilds you wish, but only one of the great houses. I was only able to find two of the guilds in Balmora, the mage guild and morgo tong (think that's what it was called) where are the others? I walked all over Balmora and couldn't find the others.

Honestly, I have no clue what I'm doing or what I should do first lol The manual that came with the game isn't all that helpful as it doesn't say much. I have read a few posts here and will try some of the tips and tricks, but is there any other advice you more experienced players can give a complete newbie to this game?
Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 04:03 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

Next door to the Mages Guild is the Fighters Guild [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] The South Wall Cornerclub is, in fact, the Thieves Guild. You can also join the Temple. When you go to the Moonmoth Legion Fort, you can join the Imperial Cult there.
If you want to join the Imperial Legion then you will need to go to Gnisis. Also, the Morag Tong Guild cannot be joined in Balmora, you will need to go to Vivec.

IMPORTANT NOTES!

1. There is a group of guys in Morrowind that speak to each other. This group consists of:
a) The Mages Guild
b) The Fighters Guild
c) The Imperial Legion
d) The Blades
e) The Imperial Cult
f) The Hlaalu
You can also add Morag Tong (it is not liked by anybody but it is not disliked by anybody) and the Thieves Guild (it is disliked a bit by the Imperial Legion but that's all as far as the group under consideration is concerned). If you join any of these guilds and proceed in ranks in it then you gain reputation in other guilds from this group as well.
2. The rest of guilds is extremely inolerant. Each of these guilds likes only itself and - extremely rarely! - somebody else. Joining any of the rest of the guilds will cause losing reputation in almost all other guilds! Also, proceeding in ranks in any other guild will cause losing reputation in the intolerant guild.
Keep this in mind if you are joining guilds. For example, if you join the Temple, the Mages Guild, and the Fighters Guild, then:
a) Proceeding in the Temple will cause reputation loss in the Mages Guild and the Fighters Guild.
b) Proceeding in the Mages Guild will cause reputation gain in the Fighters Guild and reputation loss in the Temple.
c) Proceeding in the Fighters Guild will cause reputation gain in the Mages Guild and reputation loss in the Temple.

3. Morag Tong is the Assassin Guild. Your work will be: murder, slaughter, murder, and so on - often in the public. You cannot kill people aroud yourself without any reason - you would get killed by the guards quickly. You must taunt your victims and let them attack first. Therefore, you will need Speechcraft. Do not join Morag Tong as long as your Speechcraft is lamentable! Improve it first.

[ 11-19-2003, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: Radek ]
Old 11-19-2003, 04:21 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Correction: you need to travel to Ebonheart to join the Imperial Cult.

As a newcomer to Morrowind, you'll find this very useful.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:58 AM   #4
Starfire
The Magister

Thanks so much!

I decided to choose my own profession, and decided on the Crusader. I wandered around seyda Neen for a bit, found the smugglers cave again and was able to defeat the bandits and free the slaves, but I didn't receive any rewards or anything for doing it? Should I have waited for someone to tell me about the smugglers before defeating them? Did I gain in reputation for doing it? I didn't receive any messages saying anything about after I did it, so I was just wondering what the point was lol

I've spoken with everyone I could find in seyda neen, accepted a job from someone to spy on someone else and find the guys hiding place which I found and received 100 gold for doing it. There doesn't seem to be much else to do here so I guess it's ok to head over to balmora and join the guilds.

Could someone post a link to walk through for this game, so if I get stuck somewhere I could have a look and see what to do next?

thanks for your help [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2003, 06:15 AM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Here ya go. You could always ask around here for some tips and stuff, that's what we're here for.

About the smugglers cave.... no, there's noone that will ask you to check the place out, it's good to get some experience though. Whenever i stumble on a cavern door, or a tomb, ruins, or stronghold, i always go in right away. There's always loads of stuff inthere, some of which you can use, and some you can sell.

Your reputation will go up whn people get to know you (and like you) a little better. I'm at a point in the game where i have so much money, i can "buy" a little goodwill whenever i feel like it. As a member of House Redoran, the Telvanni's usually aren't too happy to see the likes of me. But then i'll slip em a little cash, and everything's peachy again. Reputation isn't one of my main concerns though, i just want cool items, Brandy, and money. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2003, 12:40 PM   #6
Oruboris

Some of the street folk in Seda Nyeen will mention the smugglers, but there is no reward for beating them, just exp. and $.

Lots to do there, though:
>After you've gotten your paperwork and left the room with the old man and guard, steal everything in the building.

>give the little elf his ring back. He won't have it long if you do the quest for the Nord in the tavern. Increases your rating with the only merchant in town, so early transactions go better.

>Carefully break into the legion building. TONS of stuff to steal for your own use and extra bucks. Makes for a lot better start to the game. SAVE BEFORE YOU TRY: if anyone sees you do it, your screwed.

>Talk to the old man who welcomed you to Morrowind for an easy quest in search of a missing tax man.

HAVE FUN!
Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 01:12 PM   #7
Starfire
The Magister

Thank you so much! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2003, 08:13 PM   #8
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

There is also a good quest from someone at Arriles Tradehouse. You get 400 gold. Actually 200 if you return his money. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:21 PM   #9
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

And remember, stealing is only bad if you're caught.

Happy Playing [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 11-19-2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Dalamar Stormcrow ]
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:23 PM   #10
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

I just picked up the GotY edition myself, went to get Tribunal and spotted this on the rack for cdn$34.99! Awesome buy...

Anyways, as to guilds - most of them have entry requirements, thiefs need good security and sneak skill, fighters martial ability, and the mage guild looks for magical talent.

Usually, this is most evident when you try to advance, each level has more stringent requirements than the last. Usually, it isn't very hard to meet the entry requirements.

Look in the various FAQs at Game FAQs for more specifics, if you need them.

Another good thing to know is how to (ab)use the barter system. Often, merchants will allow you to trade the SAME ITEM back and forth for a profit until their daily allotment of gold is depleted, and you have to wait 'til the next day. If you had a sufficiently expensive item (say, the limeware platter worth 650 gold on the shelf of the seyda neen census office...) you could make a modest profit even with a low mercantile and speechcraft skill. (speechcraft governs bribing, mercantile governs trading)

Three easy steps to riches:

1) Bribe shopkeeper to get 100% reputation.

(hint: SPOILER returning the healing ring to the guy outside the census office gives you 80-90% favour with the seyda neen shopkeeper Arrivile)

2) Sell an item to the shopkeeper, using the "+" key to increase the amount you are offering to sell it to him for by a small amount. (When the transaction fails, rep drops so be careful!) Once a successful transaction is made, buy it back this time using the "-" key to reduce the amount paid. You will make a small profit.

3) Repeat step "2" until he runs out of money.

Every successful transaction improves your mercantile skill - do this enough and you'll be able to make 1000 gold in a single transaction, if the merchants "kitty" allows it.