Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2002, 07:44 PM   #1
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I want to get a new game...considering Icewind Dale and a couple of others. Could you guys tell me what this game is like, and if its worth getting? Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 08:57 PM   #2
Albromor
Mephistopheles

This is a good game! Yes it is a hack & slash epic but its a FUN hack and slack epic. What I really liked about IWD is that you were able to create up to six characters to your liking. The graphics are good and the music is the best I have heard in any PC game. Trust me, the music adds to the atmosphere. I would recommend that if you are going to purchase this game then get Heart of Winter (HoW) and also download the absolutely free add on to HoW entitled Trials of the Luremaster (TotL). The game is cheap now so that is an added bonus.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 09:38 PM   #3
DaemonJ
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It really depends upon the type of games that you like already. What games have you liked so far?

The Icewind Dale series (Icewind Dale, Heart of Winter, and Trials of the Luremaster) is very challenging and fun. There is a lot of randomness in the game so you can play it 20 times and it will be different each time.

In addition, you can change the difficulty of the game. I know other games offer the same option but this is different. While most other games just increase the number of enemies on the harder setting, this game increases each enemy thereby making each one tougher. If you like a challenge then you will love this!

The game is a dungeon crawl so if you enjoyed exploring the open areas of Baldur's Gate then you will have a bit of a tough time at the start of Icewind Dale.

As mentioned before, the music in this game is astounding enough that Interplay actually sells a CD of the music.

Get the game - it will be one of the few that you don't regret buying.

P.S. You should also check out the How good is this game? thread.

[ 07-29-2002, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: DaemonJ ]
DaemonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:12 AM   #4
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Well, I played and LOVED Baldurs Gate 2....Driver, Sim Theme Park, Need For Speed 2, The Journeyman Project 1 and 3.....thats about it. I like RPG's and I love car racing games...but back to the point! I think I might get it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:50 AM   #5
TheGrandSlayer
Red Wizard of Thay

Icewind is a great game Hack and Slash every corner!
Old 07-29-2002, 12:20 PM   #6
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Sir Goulum, if you decide to pick up IWD, try to find it together with the expansion, Heart of Winter. HOW adds another adventure plus it also makes some nice enhancements to the gameplay of the original. There is also an additional free expansion to the game that is available for downloading once HOW is installed.

IWD is a fine game and one that I believe you'll enjoy. And with the reduced prices it seems to be selling for today you stand to be getting a very good value for minimal expense.