Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2003, 12:34 PM   #21
daan
Silver Dragon

Kata is part of some Martial arts. Its a style-form, a little showing off I guess you could say It involves fixed movements, attacks and counter-attacks, kinda like dancing together [img]smile.gif[/img]

Krav Maga is quite simply brutal .. it is not a martial art, you do not get belts .. it originated in Israel developed by the black panthers I believe:
They are the Israeli Elite Military force ( think Navy Seals ).

It came into existence when several martial artist involved in Israeli war, facing hand-to-hand , man-to-man, discovered that all their martial skills did diddly squat. It simply wasnt effective, wasnt really helping them at all, didnt give them any real edge in a fight.

So a few of 'em gathered around ( 2 i think ) and developed Krav Maga.
A sport that isnt a sport, there are no competitions .. its aimed at one thing : survival. Kill, maim and destroy the other before he gets to you.

We're talking poking eyes out, scratching, kicking nuts, using knives and the back of pistols and lots of elbows and other pointy bones in the body... simple, effective, fierce and brutal techniques designed for reality.

Ninjiutsu is another form of jiu-jiutsu .. has a bit more to do with blades and stuff IIRC, and indeed a rather emphasized honour-thingie. Japanese one-liners included

I'm too old now I think ( 18 ) but I would have probably loved style-karate, jumping around showing off and looking spiffy [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Ah well .. dont have anywhere near the flexibility in my body to attempt it now, nor the age to train the flexibility in
Old 04-15-2003, 12:59 PM   #22
SolitaryHacker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i took taekwando for 3 years, it was pretty fun
Old 04-15-2003, 01:14 PM   #23
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Cristian:
IMHO judo sucks....i really dont like it its TO defensive based like when u get attacked throw down the person and what you gonna do nexT? RUN...they cant do much more than throw ppl and run no offense to the person that does judo
That's cos judo is not a martial art really, it's a sport. You do it for fun and fitness not to learn how to fight.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 04-15-2003, 01:24 PM   #24
Suzaku
Drow Warrior

I would sarcastically tend to agree, the Japanese kanji for Judo literally translated means "fitness path" lol
Old 04-15-2003, 01:27 PM   #25
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Cristian:
IMHO judo sucks....i really dont like it its TO defensive based like when u get attacked throw down the person and what you gonna do nexT? RUN...they cant do much more than throw ppl and run no offense to the person that does judo
Heh... you would be surprised to see how easy it is to [ disable / maim / hurt ] someone when you're standing, and he's laying on the ground.

Vaskez is right, too. Jodu is more about honor, values and sport than just kicking @ss. The @ss kicking is just a wonderful side effect. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!