Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2003, 11:16 AM   #21
Raistlin Majere
Ra

i suggest you play the first time through without too much advice, since they nearly always contain spoilers, which IMHO, ruin the game(the first time through, that is. luckily, i hadnt found this forum when i played my first time through ). have fun

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:39 PM   #22
Thuram
Dungeon Master

It's quite tough to play a monk the first time. He is a character which requieres lot of maintenance, specially in the beginning.

For the beginning, don't feel ashamed to use the hide&hit&run tactic. Make use of his increased movement.

Also, use potions that can buff you up, specially your AC, you will need this in the beginning. Look e.g. for potions that increase DEX.

At the beginning you may find it easier if you use a weapon instead of your bare fists, at least until you level up some levels. There is also a nice sword in the game with a good special ability against undead, which will help you when you need to fight them - it is behind a secret door but if I remember well you will need VERY high strength to open it.

Think of ranged weapons, at the beginning you won't be able to face anybody in melee and you could prefer the sniper tactic.

You may also find a wand you can use with your monk. I have heard people saying this is cheese, but it is not my opinion. Use it if you find it.

At the beginning, use potions of explosions to get rid of lots of low level enemies which could be nasty otherwise.

Look for a few items which allow you to summon help, you will need it. You can find all of these early in the game. Don't want to spoil you, but here is some advice: one you can get by fighting, an other one is in a house and can be upgraded but it is protected by a difficult trap for a soloist, the other one you can get if you are a bard/thief or if you don't like djinnis.

Much later on, after rescuing Imoen, there is an optional quest you may do if you prefer ships over portals. It will give you a reward your monk will find very fitting.

I soloed the game with a Monk playing on max. difficulty. It is challenging in the beginning, but after you get your MR it will be almost too easy. Have fun!!
Thuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 03:13 PM   #23
Patriarch
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've always fancied playing through as a monk, but never got around to it. Maybe I should try it...
Old 05-20-2003, 11:56 AM   #24
Dobian
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Thuram:
soloed the game with a Monk playing on max. difficulty. It is challenging in the beginning, but after you get your MR it will be almost too easy. Have fun!!
What's MR? If it's a big spoiler, don't tell me.
Dobian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 01:13 PM   #25
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

Magic Resistance. Thats all.

Warby
Warby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 02:45 PM   #26
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Monks using Wands is not cheese--it's a bug.

BioWare simply overlooked the fact that almost all Wands are "Not Usable By: Paladin, Ranger, Fighter, Thief." Since the *.ITM file doesn't specifically say that Monks cannot use it, then the game lets Monks use it--even though they were never supposed to be able to.

BaldurDash to the rescue!