Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2002, 10:35 PM   #1
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

I just got a new book from amazon.ca called Military History's Most Wanted, by M. Evan Brooks. I read about it in PC Gamer and thought I should check it out. I must admit, normally I'm bored by history, after all, I have more than 6 hours of history classes each week. But this book is excellent. It's opinionated and very clearly biased, but it is a great read. Recommended to all!
Old 09-24-2002, 10:40 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

History isn't all that boring. Just think, the best part about it is the mass killing

But seriously, I find it fascinating how enlightening one's history can be. Also, some of the best movies within the last 5 years have been based on war-time events (Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, The Patriot..)
Old 09-24-2002, 10:56 PM   #3
Sorcerer Alex

I love history. I'm probably boring, too. But thanks for the recommendation, Moose. I order a lot from amazon.com, and I might well look into that book next time.

Old 09-24-2002, 11:53 PM   #4
Gregory Longshanks
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
I just got a new book from amazon.ca called Military History's Most Wanted, by M. Evan Brooks. I read about it in PC Gamer and thought I should check it out. I must admit, normally I'm bored by history, after all, I have more than 6 hours of history classes each week. But this book is excellent. It's opinionated and very clearly biased, but it is a great read. Recommended to all!
History is neutral. What matters is how it is interpreted and who interprets it.

I would agree that for the most part, books - or anything else for that matter - that have some bias, are wonderful. Bias shows passion. I'd rather read something written passionately than something dry. Though the perspective may be distorted and presented into something reminiscent of Cirque Du Soleil, nevertheless it is entertaining.

Another fun read (and factual) is "Dirt - A Brief History of its Uses and Abuses" However I'm not all that sure if its still in print.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:10 AM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
I love history. I'm probably boring, too. But thanks for the recommendation, Moose. I order a lot from amazon.com, and I might well look into that book next time.
You're not boring dude, just the footballteam you're rooting for.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:56 AM   #6
Thoran
Galvatron

For those of us who went through 12 years of US "interepreted" History I would say that "The Lies my Teacher Told Me" should be REQUIRED reading. It's a fairly unbiased review of US Grade/High School History texts compared with current thought in acedemia. For subjects that are being debated in acedemia he covers the various arguments, and contrasts them with the (often pure BS) material taught to our children.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:08 AM   #7
Keraptisdm
Elminster

Revisionist historians drive me crazy! Especially when they criticize some general's decision made in the heat of battle 140 years ago. I'm a Civil War reenactor and some things it taught me is that it took a long time to get troops into battle and that communications were not always good. I love to read history books.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:12 AM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Keraptisdm:
Revisionist historians drive me crazy! Especially when they criticize some general's decision made in the heat of battle 140 years ago. I'm a Civil War reenactor and some things it taught me is that it took a long time to get troops into battle and that communications were not always good. I love to read history books.
I totally agree. History is worth it. ALL history.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:14 PM   #9
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Me? i wuv History, myself. i really like looking at all the old castles and roman remains here in britain and hope to take a gap year after yr 13, before uni, to see the other great relics like the Pyramids and Pompeii in Italy.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:44 PM   #10
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

longshanks,i couldn't disagree more.what's the point in reading a book on history if it's not true?that's not history,it's fiction.