Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2001, 07:01 AM   #11
masteraleph
Elminster

Yep, sure is, if you can't kill Firkraag at this point, leave, then come back later on with a stronger party.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:18 AM   #12
Billikins the Bold
The Magister

A good way of dealing with him is to lurk out of his range and cast four or five cloudkills. The basic idea is to hurt him badly, but not badly enough that he'll heal himself.

Once you've softened him up a bit, casting... hmm, can't remember the name of the spell of the top of my head, its the one that sets magic resistance to 10% + the level of the caster, or thereabouts. Crimeny, whats it called? Anyway, one of them, followed by a Lower Resistance spell opens him up to your MU's.

Follow this up with a general attack (from all sides so that the wing buffet {sounds like some kind of light lunch!} doesn't get all your party at once), et voila!.

Worked for me, anyway!

------------------
Fear? I know not the meaning of the word. And you can keep that dictionary away from me!
Old 06-11-2001, 07:22 AM   #13
Cayle
The Magister

Three tips:

1- Always have someone in melee contact (preferably an elemental of some other summoned pet). This prevents him (and all dragons) from using his breath weapon. I think Mordenkain had dragons in mind when he developed his sword spell.

2- Cast lower resistance (5th level mage spell) 3-5 times. Having multiple mages helps here. I usually do my dragon slaying almost entirely with magic, the fighters are just there as heroic decoys. About 100 magic missiles ought to do the trick.

3- The elementals can’t touch him because he normally cast stoneskin is addition to his AC of –12. This calls for a breach. Casting breach can change the melee dynamic with any dragon in a real hurry.

There is no shame in coming back when you are stronger.

-Cayle
Old 06-11-2001, 09:51 AM   #14
simonbarsinistar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all the great input. I had noticed the dragon getting more aggitated after I had used BREACH but I thought it was some time factor. I'm going to try a couple more times with the breach tactic first with a fire elemental.

------------------
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen,
for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in
beer.

- Dave Barry
Old 06-11-2001, 10:07 AM   #15
Nasher

The easiest way to kill a dragon is to have Yoshimo cast traps around him.
Use the Dual character button to reset the traps and cast some more.
Turn the dragon hostile with an arrow or cloudkill and the traps do the rest.
You'll need to beef up the trap skill first to about 100 points

Old 06-11-2001, 10:32 AM   #16
SherpaDoug
Dungeon Master

I love using traps! But what is this about the dual character button? Is it some game bug that involves the dual classing button?

------------------
Evil around every corner. Be careful not to step in it!

Sherpa Doug
Old 06-11-2001, 10:44 AM   #17
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

Cloud Kill, about five times. Or use the cheat CluaConsole:CreateItemkillsw01 to get a death sword!

------------------
Will the real cheesy lich stop using timestop, stop using time stop, YEAH BABY! :1diablo:

Old 06-11-2001, 03:29 PM   #18
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Damn Gwhanos and his damn death sword, do you even play the game? or just jump to the end and celebrate, Gwhanos.
Don't give Cheating hints on how to kill things, give ingame hints you can use. Anyone can cheat to kill anything, they don't even need to ask how to do it on the boards, people post on the boards with problems to be able to do it legal.
Any advice on how to solve problems using cheat codes is worthless and shouldn't even be on the posts. The only reason I see to use cheats is if you are virtually stuck in the game, or have beaten it at least one time.

If someone asks you for a cheat sure thats fine, but don't just throw out your "USE A DEATH SWORD!" for every answer, its getting very annoying.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:15 PM   #19
simonbarsinistar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes Sunder. I have noticed this recurring "death sword" theme in other posts by the same person thru out this forum. I will admit that I also am a cheater. I try to justify it by only cheating health and money to buy health. Because I am not a talented player of the game I rationalize my cheating but it is still cheating none the less. So that in a general sense puts me in the same class as Mr Death Sword. But I truly enjoy the game play(otherwise I would'nt spend every spare minute of the last five days trying to beat this damn dragon). So I realize that in order to really enjoy the "GAME" I can't become God and just waltz thru. No fun in that for me, the fun is in beating an opponent with a good stratagy or tactic!

------------------
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen,
for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in
beer.

- Dave Barry
Old 06-11-2001, 09:53 PM   #20
Ravana
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Billikins the Bold:

Once you've softened him up a bit, casting... hmm, can't remember the name of the spell of the top of my head, its the one that sets magic resistance to 10% + the level of the caster, or thereabouts. Crimeny, whats it called? Anyway, one of them, followed by a Lower Resistance spell opens him up to your MU's.

[/b]
I think its called cast magic resistance Billikins , and your druid should have the spell on her/him. I also used this tactic, then lower resistance (though I didnt use the staying outside the map area and casting cloudkill tactic-always thought that was a little cheap , though I guess taking advantage of a game glitch in casting magic resistance is also kind of cheap ^^ ), then I cast breach and greater malison, Jan has this handy spell when you find him. Aerie cast a number of holy smites, and malison helped her in making these count I think. Also made sure my fighters were tanked up on potions of heroism and in Firkraags face-and made sure everyone had the usual spell boosts.
Also, nagic missile-lots of magic missile heh.
Thats my 2 cents for what its worth.

[This message has been edited by Ravana (edited 06-11-2001).]