Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2003, 04:20 AM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I know there have been topics about this before but well, I have to get this out so here is my two cents...I went to a store and saw the new 3.5 core rule books...I was torn between buying all 3 and screaming at the store people just for even stocking them. Instead I just kinda looked at them in angry disgust.

Why are they doing this to us?! It took me long enough to even convert to 3E for gods sake! Ok yes, alot of things needed revising, this is true. And yes, alot of things *have* been revised and revised well. But do they really care about us dedicated gamers? If so, where is our refund for buying the 3e essentials so we can convert to this new "patched" edition? That *is*, in essence what this is right? Where is our "Trade your old 3E books in for 3.5" offer?

I was reminded on how Wizards of the Coast like to make all these editions on everything they sell ie. Magic the Gathering and all the CCGs they sell. I'm really thinking of giving up on this company. I mean, I know they have to make money and all but this is mental. I went and bought the 3ed D & D books when they first came out and what, only 6 months after they come out with the revised edition and the new character generator disk...now, my question is how long will it be before 4.0 comes out and piss off all those people problably like me and all every other gamer who been with D & D since the beginning...?
Old 08-06-2003, 05:16 AM   #2
SecretMaster
Apophis

Whoah, there is 3.5 edition for D&D. I just learned everything about 3rd ed. Plz explain further. Is it similiar to 3rd ed or totally different.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:31 AM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
Whoah, there is 3.5 edition for D&D. I just learned everything about 3rd ed. Plz explain further. Is it similiar to 3rd ed or totally different.
It's third edition with minor changes and new book covers.

They also added a new billing system. Your give them your credit card and bank account's info, they take all your money, and you don't have to bother buying the newest monthly Dungeon and Dragon editions. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2003, 10:19 AM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

They changed the covers and reorganized the books in the middle of 2nd Ed., too. It was no big deal, as the rules basically stayed the same (excepting "additions" like HLAs, other ways of doing magic, and the insanely detailed dueling fighting system). I continued to DM, even at Cons, with the old cover books and it went just fine. Hey, you don't toss books signed by Easley just because the new cover comes out.

Anywho, my recommendation, after playing 3rd Ed. (and buying several books), is burn all your 3rd Ed. books, and go play 2nd Ed., which was much better anyway.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:14 PM   #5
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I have to say that I will NOT be buying any new editions of D&D.
This is Hasbro getting their fingers into WotC. These books contain the same art and most of the material hasn't been changed. They already knew they were going to release this before they printed 3E to begin with. So this is just a blatant money grab on their part. They are now part of a large multinational company and it shows. Personally, I think we all ought to just let all the 3.5 books rot on the shelves. I know there are many people who haven't converted from AD&D to 2nd Ed yet. If you are happy with the materials you have then stay with them.

Now having said all that...I know they are a company and their goal is to make money. Fine. I think they are going about it in completely the wrong way. It would be nice if they would just put out a free or minimally priced booklet revision and call it good, then devote their efforts to supporting the materials they already have on the shelves.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:33 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

I just wish they had called it WOTC D&D instead of 3rd ed. They changed the core mechanics way too much for it to be considered D&D in my opinion. Where as the change from 1rst to 2nd merely grew upon and expanded the existing mechanics.

I have read around on some D&D forums I frequent that the 3.5 changes are pretty radical in some cases, touching upon the core game mechanics in more than a minor way, but this I dont know first hand.

I dont knock 3rd edition's mechanics out of hand, it seems to be a decent system from my expirience with NWN and IWD2, both being based on the system, but its just not D&D in my eyes.

A word of advise to any 2nd edition gamers who fear they will one day not be able to find any books in decent shape, buy the core rules cd rom and expansion before those dissappear for good and forever have your books on disk ready to print page by page or in whole at anytime. I had too put an out of stock order on the expansion disc on Amazon, but one came my way after only a few weeks.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:25 PM   #7
SecretMaster
Apophis

Great. I'm not even gonna bother buying 3.5 books. I'm just sticking with 3rd ed.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:45 AM   #8
Jorath Calar
Harper

3.5 edition is just an update to the 3rd, you can still use all your accessories and old 3e books with it, most of rulechanges are to make it easier and make more sense, for instance they changed the ridicoulus Harm spell ("What, the red dragon only has 1d4 hp left?!?") and made the rangerclass a little more balanced with the rest. They also took notes from the players as to how to improve the game...

I think it's great, but I won't buy them yet though, except for the awesome monstermanual... I fliiped through it and it's awesome, so much more detail... my only gripe with it is that they changed the picture for the Nymph, she was sooo hot.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2003, 11:10 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Any info on whether 3d Ed. fixed magic with 3.5?????

The ONE THING I wanted to see finally fixed, after years of everyone knowing it sucks, was the magic system. Yet, Magic is the one thing that remained basically the same. Why oh why muck with the core system without fixing its biggest flaw?

For you purists out there, if you ever seek a good magic system that actually makes sense, check out Ars Magicka.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:28 AM   #10
Jorath Calar
Harper

It's pretty much the same... If you want to see most of the changes you can get a free booklet here. It talks about the changes in all the books and how to make the changes work with the other 3e books...