Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2002, 05:28 AM   #51
WillowIX
Apophis

I agree with Larry. This survey probably isnīt very accurate but it is alarming. Now I can probably point out the location of Iraq since itīs north of Saudi Arabia and east of Syria. But to remember all nations locations is not theeasiest thing. Thereīs almost 200 nations in the world today. Iraq is one of the countries Americans are becoming more aware of. American adults at least. And is the Gulf war taught in history classes? Thereīs hardly any news of Iraq in Canadian media. A factor could alos be that we are a bit more "isolated" over here. In Europe you study the history of Europe (and the world too) whereas we concentrate on North America. Why? Because neither America nor Canada fave had any colonies in Africa or North America. We have never had any major wars on our continent, Europe has had several. So studying history in European schools will enhance the geographical knowledge wonīt it? You canīt read about the colonization without studying North America, Asia and Africa. If you study the 30 year war or the 100 year war you also study European geography etc. And the crusades give you knowledge about the Middle East. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2002, 08:35 AM   #52
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

I don't think people should be expected to know the location of every country in the world Willow, but if you want to bomb somewhere its common courtesy at least to take enough of an interest to know where the hell it is.

As for Bush being stupid - he does say a hell of a lot of stupid things. I don't personally think that being a genius is necessary for running the USA - it certainly hasn't been necessary for running the UK. But whether or not he is intelligent I still have nightmares about him running the worlds last superpower...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 11-21-2002, 08:43 AM   #53
MagiK

Had another thought about this while I was getting ready for work. This is what a $100 BILLION dollar school system buys you. Money certainly doesn't solve problems.

Old 11-21-2002, 08:50 AM   #54
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks, WillowIX...

That is exactly what I wish I would have been able to say!
Old 11-21-2002, 09:28 AM   #55
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Had another thought about this while I was getting ready for work. This is what a $100 BILLION dollar school system buys you. Money certainly doesn't solve problems.
MagiK, 100 Billion dollars is probably not all that much more than we spend over here, and we have a comparatively small population. When thinking about government budgets its best to not think along the lines of "Big number = more than I can ever dream of, Small number = a dollar". The figures involved are staggeringly huge for most govt departments. 100 billion means absolutely nothing unless you compare it to something, what you spend on defence for example...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 11-21-2002, 09:48 AM   #56
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I find it hard to believe that with the constant news coverage of the region adults can't find Iraq on the map. It's sad that, no matter what your politics, people aren't paying attention to what's going on in the world.

I will admit that there are many countries I couldn't point out on the world map, but I do think I could hit the "high" spots.

I wonder how many people know where Qatar is? Better yet, I wonder who can pronounce it. I always thought it was "K-tar", for some reason, but the newscasters are saying, "gutter".

EDIT - I'm not saying they're wrong, because I'm sure they've researched it and have it right. My guess at the pronunciation was based on reading the letters from a map. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-21-2002, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 11-21-2002, 10:16 AM   #57
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
~~ I wonder how many people know where Qatar is? Better yet, I wonder who can pronounce it. I always thought it was "K-tar", for some reason, but the newscasters are saying, "gutter".
EDIT - I'm not saying they're wrong, because I'm sure they've researched it and have it right. My guess at the pronunciation was based on reading the letters from a map. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I pronounce it as "kua-tar", and if memory serves me well, it is located south of Saudi Arabia, along with Oman if I am not wrong. Head's still a bit fuzzy.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:22 AM   #58
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Actually, Qatar borders Saudi Arabia to the east along the coast. Only separated from Oman by the UAE.

The only reason I know this is because they were talking about it yesterday as being the US command post in the Middle East at the moment. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2002, 10:27 AM   #59
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Actually, Qatar borders Saudi Arabia to the east along the coast. Only separated from Oman by the UAE.
The only reason I know this is because they were talking about it yesterday as being the US command post in the Middle East at the moment. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dang... I nearly got it. Mixed up Yemen with Qatar. Oh, and isn't one of Australia's airlines named Qantas? That was how I derived the pronounciation of Qatar.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:28 AM   #60
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:

I wonder how many people know where Qatar is? Better yet, I wonder who can pronounce it. I always thought it was "K-tar", for some reason, but the newscasters are saying, "gutter".

Qatar is a small country to the right of Saudi-Arabia, adjacent to the Persian Gulf, IIRC... And I believe it's indeed pronounced like "gutter", only more with a "hard" g than a "soft" one, if that makes any sense...
But Qatar isn't much of a problem, learned most of the "mainland" countries and the bigger islands in primary (!) school, with most of it repeated in highschool.
But those smaller island groups are more of a challenge... I only know for instance that the Turks and Caicos Islands as well as St. Kitts & Nevis should be *somewhere* in the Caribbean, just don't ask me to point the exact location.

edit: bleh, seems that others have already beaten me to it.

[ 11-21-2002, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]