Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2001, 01:33 PM   #1
coachschwartz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have been playing the game for a while, finished off serpent temple, and on to the ruins. Now my computer is freezing everytime i turn around. Have to turn power off reboot, go through scandisc and then when desktop comes back up it is mega huge and I have to go into display and adjust settings, EVERYTIME!!!!!!

different errors pop up, sometimes freezes when i click on map, sometimes freezes just walking through woods gives an open error?????

Is there any help for me or have I just wasted a lot of time playing?
coachschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 01:45 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Hello, Coachschwartz, and welcome to the forum!

Hmmm, sounds like a videocard driver problem to me. What is your particular computer setup: sound card, video card, Operating system, CPU, RAM, etc.?

Try running the game in software mode. Sometimes that takes care of lock-up problems. D3D hardware acceleration just does not work well with certain video cards in this game.

Also: if you're running Direct X 8.0, uninstall it and then reinstall DirectX 7.0a from the 1st installation CD that came with the game. (CD1, the brown one). There's a thread lower down the page that gives you the information to do this.

Let us know if you need more help! Sorry this is happening.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 01:54 PM   #3
coachschwartz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the response. I have a 333 mhz Pentium 2. I have 160 meg RAM. Video Card is RAGE PRO. How do I find which Directx Driver I'm using?

I know you will probably have to walk me hand in hand here but I appreciate it greatly, dont want to quit the game.

Yesterday, I tried closing everything except explorer and systray, still got me.
If i take hardware acceleration totally off, will that help?
Old 05-17-2001, 02:53 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Coachschwartz, YES. In the game window, click on the computer icon in the lower left side of the screen (the Options screen). When the screen changes, click on "Graphics". On Graphics Mode, choose "Software." It'll reset everything for you and tell you that the setting will be updated the next time you start the game.

Completely exit the game, then restart. It should be good to go. Try it out and see if you're still crashing.

Also: check the Internet to see if there's any updated drivers for your card. The site http://www.driverguide.com/ may be of some use to you.

Hope this helps!

-Sazerac
Old 05-17-2001, 05:39 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, coachschwartz!!!

Saz is really excellent at helping with the technical problems (I don't know what I would do without him!). Hope you get everything working and get back to the game with no further problems!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 06:51 PM   #6
coachschwartz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK, I pulled up options/graphics and it only gives me one under driver: software driver.

Almost all the error messages are different from each other.
Last time I played 2 minutes before getting the following message:
Deep6: Open Error on D6MON8.dat

Reloaded, resized screen for the umpteenth time, and played 2 minutes and got this message:
Bmp16_maskload error on ICLUBUYU.BMP

I have a bad feeling that this is gonna be a reinstall solution. Is there a way to keep my save games and reinstall?
Old 05-17-2001, 07:11 PM   #7
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Your game won't be affected by the re-install. It's always a good idea to make backups though
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 07:15 PM   #8
coachschwartz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, so if i uninstall the program, my save games and anything i need to pick up where I left off wil be ok? or .... Should I just hack the computer to death and buy another? Wonder if incinerate works on computers?
Old 05-17-2001, 07:26 PM   #9
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

LOL, yes, if you uninstall and then re-install, your save games will be OK. Just to be safe, I recommend that you back-up the savegame directory (just zip it or something).

I also recommend that you do the full install if you got the room on your HD. It will make the game faster and more realiable 'cause you'll never access the CD except on the opening screen.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 07:50 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Coachschwartz: yes, definitely do a reinstall (full), and definitely back up your game before doing so! Drag and drop it into "My Documents" if necessary...that's easy to get to from the Desktop.

It sounds as if it's a game corruption problem, and being that you were able to play as long as you did, it sounds as if something glitched in one of the files.

Hope that helps.

-Sazerac