Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2001, 11:13 PM   #81
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

The night between the 20th and the 21st is shortest night. The best birthday I ever had was on the Isle of Lewis - off hte north west coast of Scotland. We clebrated shortest night and hte start of the summer solstoce at the sotnes of Callanish - an amazingly beautiful ,intircate and well preserved 4,000 year old stone circle.

Just wrote this isnpired by the memory.

Sing to the sacred circle
Stroke the sacred stones
Feels the earth’s heart beating
Touch her very bones

Silver light of early dawning
Shortest night is almost done
Greet the green and golden morning
Welcome in the summer sun.

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 06-20-2001, 01:19 AM   #82
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:
The first Loreena McKennitt CD I bought was Mask and Mirror. I fell in love with her voice. I listened to "The Two Trees" constantly. Elemental has several songs, traditional tunes with few if any instruments. Her voice is beyond compare. "She moved through the Fair" and "The Blacksmith". Adaptions of Yeats and other poets figure strongly in her CD's. Her newest CD, has "The Highwayman"
which sent chills down my spine.
Cloudy if you can find Celtic Twilight, Celtic Twilight 2, 4 or 5 you will love those as well. Celtic Twilight 3 is composed of Traditional Lullabyes. There is a Loreena McKennitt Christmas Albumn "To Drive the Cold Winter Away" recorded in Churches about England, Scotland and Ireland. Also lovely beyond compare.
If you would like I can rip and encode an MP3 or so to send to you.
Wulfere! I'd love it! And thanks so much for the information and advice! Lullabyes... wonderful. I love the ballads too. Highwayman is, indeed, good!

I love what she did with Shakespeare and with Tennyson on The Visit! Never would have thought The Lady of Shallot could sound so lovely and poigniant. sigh....On Parallel Dreams, I was brought to tears listening to Dicken's Dublin (the Palace)! Just beautiful. You are right about the Yeats on Elemental. I LOVE Stolen Child! Can see the faeries coming for their changeling child!

I will look for the other cd's you mentioned too!

Cloudy

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 06-20-2001, 01:22 AM   #83
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
I come in and try to buy a pot of Mint tea.
Hello. ...ah...goooood mint tea.
Well last night I found a dead bird. Courtesy of Sid. My Cat.
It was under a table in an obscure part of the house and it did not smell nice. This is the second bird i've found inside. The first one was under
a couch, right under there...dead bird.
Another time I opened the door and found a dead rabbit on the
mat, and Sid has his face buried in it!!!!!!
Sid my friend! Stop honoring me with dead animals!!!
...ahh...good tea.
Djinn,

Another truly uproarious post! You make me laugh every time! SID- cool kitty!

CloudKittn

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 06-20-2001, 01:27 AM   #84
Bourbon
Manshoon

Bourbon walks in and heads straight for the counter.
whispering softly, ahhh...can I have a glass of orange juice.
Old 06-20-2001, 01:38 AM   #85
BladeMaster

You guys and gals are talking about Celtic music with out me. I love Celtic music. I have the following Celtic music CDs:

1. Daughters of the Celtic Moon - featuring Lisa Lynne
2. The Celtic Heartbeat Collection
3. The Celts - Enya
4. Celtic Dawn
5. Reflections of Nature - Celtic Dreams Voices of the Celtic Harp
6. A collection of Celtic Moods - Seson of Mists

------------------
By Clanggedin. What does a Dwarf have to do to get a drink around here. Say hi to my lover Tess.

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/evermeet

Old 06-20-2001, 02:11 AM   #86
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Blade Master - do you want to hear some amazingly good kickass Irish music made by freinds of mine? They are Micheal Queally (amazing fiddler) and Cyril O'Donoghue (superb Irish bazouki and lovely singer. They play West Clare style which is extremely fast and very flowing. The style sounds like a fast stream dancing down a mountain side.

I was going to post a link but the audio samples dont work any more If you want to hear them you will need to order there CD, or I could post a couple of RealPlayer samples. Interested?

------------------

www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 06-20-2001, 02:19 AM   #87
BladeMaster

Quote:
Originally posted by kiwidoc:
Blade Master - do you want to hear some amazingly good kickass Irish music made by freinds of mine? They are Micheal Queally (amazing fiddler) and Cyril O'Donoghue (superb Irish bazouki and lovely singer. They play West Clare style which is extremely fast and very flowing. The style sounds like a fast stream dancing down a mountain side.

I was going to post a link but the audio samples dont work any more If you want to hear them you will need to order there CD, or I could post a couple of RealPlayer samples. Interested?

Sure am interested. When I go to bed I love to play Celtic music in the background because it is nice and relaxing to listen to.

------------------
By Clanggedin. What does a Dwarf have to do to get a drink around here. Say hi to my lover Tess.

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/evermeet

[This message has been edited by BladeMaster (edited 06-20-2001).]

Old 06-20-2001, 07:30 AM   #88
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Cloudy and anyone else Kiwi? Blade?
I will be getting my Celtic Twilight CD's back this weekend when I run to Omaha for my everyother week gaming session with some friends. When I get back I will do some editing and encode some MP3's If there is anything special you might want to hear let me know. I will of course include "Skye Boat Song" some
Loreena and possibly some from the other celtic CD's I own. If you like a certain style, instrumental, voice alone, fast, slow let me know.

Kiwi love the short poem about dawn o'er the stones. Is there more to it?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wulfere (edited 06-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Wulfere (edited 06-20-2001).]
Old 06-20-2001, 08:11 AM   #89
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

HOLY COW SQUEEZINS BATMAN!!
That scarey guy who used to glare at me from the left of my screen has finally fled..
WOOOOOOHOOOOOO
oops sorry...

------------------
Old 06-20-2001, 09:18 AM   #90
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Wulfere in a way there is more to the poem. Let me tell you the story of my best ever birthday.

The night of my birthday is the shortest night and I was privileged to spend it at Callanish, on the Island of Lewis. We were holidaying in my orange VW camper (kiwi cliche I know) and I picked up a hitchiker in Skye who asked me if I was going to the stones for solstice. I immediately said yes, as I decided to give myself a birthday treat. We made the sky to Lewis ferry with 10 minutes to spare, and as the Minch was a bit rough we headed to the bar for some ice water. When we arrived the entire population of the bar clambered into our van, a small car and five bikes. We had three new agers, two archeology professors from Canada and their wives, 5 hitchikers from NZ and OZ, an accountant from South East England, a psychiatrist (me) and a woodturner(hubby), the Glasgow chapter of Highway 66 and the barlady(who owned the car), and 3 dogs of assorted sizes.

Harris and Lewis are superbly beautiful - granite mountains towering high above a deep green sea, tiny islands dotting the harbour, peat and heather golden and brown in the afternoon light. Callanish is set in a harbour largely unchanged for millenia, and there is only one tiny village in sight. The view is stunning - a long harbour braided with islands and inlets, three more stone circles standing like crowns high on neighbouring hills, the geat granite mountains of Harris high on the horizen and the sweet smell of peat and the sea pervades it all.

We sat round a fire and shared laughter, food and tales, and sang softly all night. In ones or twos we would drift up t othe stones, touching them , feleing their warmth and their power or just looking at the amazing drifts of stars overhead. I was leaning against the main central stone singing softly to the stars when to my surprise and joy a full moon rose through the notch in a smaller stone - covering it in silver.

Nobody made plans or spoke of how we would greet the sun but an hour before the dawn we walked together up the hill to the stones. We stood in total silence and watched the sun rise - even the dogs didnt move. The stillness, the silnce and the wasshed out colours of the predawn light made for a sense of reverance and timelessness. We were part of something much bigger than just ourselves, part of a chain of people stretching back over 5 millenia. As triet and as cliched as it sounds we really felt the earths heart beat as the sun rose on a new cycle of seasons.

I have posted some images of Callanish with the poem to try and help you feel just a taste of the wonder I felt.

Shortest Night At Callanish

Sing to the sacred circle
Stroke the sacred stones
Feels the earth’s heart beating
Touch her very bones

Silver light of early dawning
Shortest night is almost done
Greet the green and golden morning
Welcome in the summer sun.

------------------