Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2002, 02:05 PM   #21
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
It is kind of odd how people discount Nostradamus but blindly follow religeon. Unlike religion, Nostradamus is right once in a while.
[img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] I'd say something, but then I'd be wrong...us religious folk can't be right, right? Or is that left....ah well, I'm off to ignore Nostrafraudus.... and get some work done!

HEHE, hope you've had a good morning Hunter!

[ 12-19-2002, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 12-19-2002, 02:14 PM   #22
Tristan Silverstar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
It is kind of odd how people discount Nostradamus but blindly follow religeon. Unlike religion, Nostradamus is right once in a while.
Spot on [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2002, 02:22 PM   #23
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Silverstar:
quote:
Spot on [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Would either of you care to show a "prediction" that any major religion has made that has turned out wrong?
Old 12-19-2002, 02:25 PM   #24
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:
on the other hand i do actually believe in people being psychic to an extent, i have seen the future years before it happened myself so i know for a 100 percent fact its real, but its not controlled and all i saw was someone i met later in life, thats happened a few times, and sometimes i seen events years before they happen, nothing special or shocking particularly, but i seen it, so tell my psychics dont exist and your wrong, experience it yourself and then discount it, but professional ones work on odds and not psychic ability IMO.[/QB]
That's an interesting piece of advice, Grungi, because that's exactly how I feel about the love of Jesus Christ. Try it for yourself, then tell me it isn't real. No "dig" at you, I know you have tried it and didn't like it, so I'm not directing the comment at you...just using your words.

Sio - Actually, Nostrodamus recieved his "visions" from spirits. He would burn incense and enter a meditative trance in which future events would be revealed.

Hunter - Nostrodamus has never "gotten it 100% right" - at least not without the aid of some serious mental gymnastics as demonstrated by the article supplied by Ronn Bmann. {switch the first two letters, add one, subtract two, turn those on thier reverse axis and mirror them, put you left leg out and shake it all about, etc etc etc}.

On the other hand, a surgeon came out of the O.R. 5 years ago and told my wife and mother that nothing short of a miracle would keep me alive past the next 72 hours. He had done everything medically possible, but it simply would not be enough. Meanwhile, I learned that over 100 people in my hometown were praying specifically for God to grant that miracle and spare my life (they did this without knowledge of the surgeons statement - they just knew that my condition was life-threatening).

So you can stick with Nostrodamus if you wish....I'll take Religion any day...because it is "right" every time I test it.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:26 PM   #25
Talthyr Malkaviel

Well Hunter, from the standpoint of not following religion, I also discount Nostradamus, so I can't speak for those, but with Nostradamus, and other such people he needs to say but the most ambiguous phrase, and that leaves it open to so much twisting until it matches up with something.
Also, with his prophesying, many people are prepared to be very lenient, if one of his vague statements didn't even manage to match up with a single event at the right time, people would probably congratulate his closeness to the right date, but if he's supposedly foreseeing all of this, clearly enough to tell dates, you'd imagine there was a fairly high degree of accuracy, so he shouldn't get any dates wrong.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:43 AM   #26
Grungi
Banned User

cerek i made that point before on the religion thread that you cant prove it wrong or right either way so best to leave it, as you'll believe in supreme being and scientists will believe in supreme facts both of which are as disprovable as the other [img]tongue.gif[/img] thats my view though not my personal opinion, personally i dont believe in religion or a supreme being, i believe in psychic ability 100 percent because i have witnessed it myself, and i cant find any other explanation for how i saw events that happened 5 years later, even knew conversations, not quite as clear as that, but i found myself saying things i knew id say and hearing things i knew id heard, very strange, but when its from your own head then you start believing, so thats why i can support it 100 percent, its not just a feeling that its right like you get with religion, have you had any kind of experience that really affirmed god for you? i mean really proved it to you? (lots of people are told they'd need a miracle and they might be satanists but still walk again for example when told they'll be in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives) heh yep gods love is for all, i know your gonna say that, so i cant win, and u cant win, and theres nothing to win anyway [img]smile.gif[/img] so i spose that affirmed god for you answering my own question, cant argue with that, but the diff id argue is that theres no 100 percent proof there, for me its 100 percent, whatever you'd call it i saw the future played out years before it happened its just my opinion but for me thats more affirmation than your situation (not to say yours isnt a powerful reason and a miracle in itself, not belittling yours at all btw.)

And for some reason you think im being hypocritical in my comments and i promise you im not being, i just have my view on things and how it should be and my personal opinion both of which can be different [img]tongue.gif[/img] ie i said in a post to someone else how they should react when flamed, but i dont take my own advice, because i dont feel right reacting like that most of the time, im happier to just insult straight back, but my opinion of that is that im immature for it [img]tongue.gif[/img] not that i much care though because i know overall im mature, but my opinion and my view can be at odds with each other, i just gotta be more obvious on which is which.

and talthyr same point as me, thats what im talking about, one ambiguous point can be taken to mean anything, its all down to intepretation and as we all know every person on the planet inteprets things differently [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2002, 08:28 AM   #27
Grungi
Banned User

gah no wonder other people have trouble reading my posts, i couldnt even read it, i gotta learn to stop typing so fast and consider paragraphing, my attack on english grammar is substantial and unrelenting hehe [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2002, 08:44 AM   #28
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, it might help, Grungi! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now to the general topic, I had a question- why is it that everyone seems to assume that if one is a scientist, one can't believe in God? Odd concept, really. It's perfectly possible and in fact, it happens! LOL
Old 12-20-2002, 09:32 AM   #29
Grungi
Banned User

lots of scientists embrace religion and it doesnt have to be mutually exclusive, just in this instance were trying to make clear boundaries of which side is which, im in the middle cos i go along with neither [img]tongue.gif[/img] i go along with my own beliefs which i spose is a mix of both, but its easier for a discussion to continue with two clear sides. and im throwing in plenty of points a) cos id like to see the honest replies of both sides and b) cos its something to do [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2002, 09:42 AM   #30
Cerek the Barbaric

Grungi - I didn't think you were being hypocritical. That's why I made it a point to mention that my comments were not directed at you. I was just using your words because that really sums up the only way anybody can "prove" that God and Jesus are real. It has to be a personal epiphany.

To answer your other question, I have indeed had an affirmation of God's existence in my life, but it happened long before the surgery I mentioned. Like every Christian, I went through a period where I doubted my Salvation. I didn't doubt that God was real, but I did doubt that I had truly accepted Him as my Savior. I went to an evangelical minister that I greatly respected and asked him how I could resolve my doubts. He told me which Bible passages to read and how to take my specific questions to God in prayer. I followed his instructions and I did recieve an affirmation of my faith. It is one of the few times that God has answered me directly in response to a prayer. (normally, I would have to wait to see how events unfolded, but God spoke directly to me that night and let me know right away that my Salvation had been real).

One other thing you might find of interest is that I also had some "premonitions" of future events when I was younger. Our school system regularly distributed catalogs from which we could order books and for a period of about 2-3 years, I would always dream that our books arrived at school the night before we got them. The next day when we went to school, sure enough, our books would be there. I've also dreamed of future conversations and then had a sense of deja vu' when these conversations actually took place. Of course, the fact that I had dreamed about what I was going to say probably influenced what I actually said when the conversation occurred. Never was able to explain the premonition about the books though.

And I also agree that all the "TV Psychics" are nothing more than a bunch of professional charlatans. If Miss Cleo can see the future, why didn't she know she was about to be arrested on charges of fraud? [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]