Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2002, 01:18 PM   #1
8Ball
Dungeon Master

I'm starting a new char....Archer.

I have never beat the game yet but I have TOB. I have heard that, especially with ToB's continuation, having Imoen in your party greatly enhances the storyline.

However, I know that if I do all the quests BEFORE going in search of Imoen then Imoen will be much lower a level than the rest of my party.

Should I ignore Imoen? Should I ignore the quests, search for Imoen, then come back and do the quests? Or should I just let Imoen suffer lower levels?

If I do the quests AFTER getting Imoen, how many quests will I be missing out on (do some only happen before I move on in search of her?)
Old 01-20-2002, 02:59 PM   #2
fable
Quintesson

First off, having or leaving Imoen behind in no way affects ToB. Period. I've run-through both ways. The changes are minor, and neither positive nor negative. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now, if you want to keep Imoen with you, you might want to do a few chapter 2 quests, gather the money to pay the Shadow Thieves, then jump ahead to chapter 3. After finishing the Underdark, you can return to the rest of the chapter 2 quests. I'd wait to pay off the Shadow Thieves until my party was perhaps level 11, earliest. And I'd make sure they had the Shield of Balduran, at least. Wands of Cloudkill and Summoning are nice, too.

If you don't want Imoen, then you party's level when you meet her is irrelevant, so you might as well do all the chapter 2 quests, gather plenty of funds, and some nice items.

Note that if you return to finish chapter 2 quests later in the game, they will be somewhat more difficult to compensate for your party level, which is kinda neat, IMO.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 03:59 PM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Rushing though the first chapters to rescue Imoen as soon as possible will result in trying to take a relatively low-level party through the Underdark, generally getting your butt kicked, and perhaps missing some very cool items or components thereof. Clearing out all of Athkatla before going after Imoen will result in a low-level Imoen, but so what? She's Dualed now, she'll get back up to where she should be soon enough.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:59 PM   #4
Nifft the Nimble

Hi 8Ball,

What kind of bow are you choosing for your Archer? Long, short, cross? If either of the second two, get a VERY GOOD one before leaving. Short bow Archers will want to finish the Trademeet quests to get a +3 Shortbow with unlimited ammo, while Crossbow Archers will want to save up an extra 22,000 GP or so to buy the Firetooth from the priests atop Watcher's Keep (this one only for ToB people like you).

Long bowmen are a bit out of luck. Even slingers have an unlimited ammo weapon ... oh well.

Once you have your bow of choice, feel free to head out to Spellhold. You won't regret bringing three or more scrollcases full for Imoen to memorize... and remember that she won't know any spells from Irenicus' dungeon, since her re-capture was so traumatic that it wiped her memory [img]tongue.gif[/img] or some jerky little cowled wizard used some of his enchantment spells on her [img]tongue.gif[/img] or something like that.

If you're worried about the battles, just make sure every tank has at least one +3 or better weapon he or she can use in battle after Spellhold. Here are some easy ones:
- +3 Two-Handed Sword: Lilarcor
- +3 Club: Blackblood
- +3 Staff: Cleric's Staff or Martial Staff, very common; one is handed to you in Spellhold
- +3 Flail: Flail of Ages
- +3 Axe: Frostreaver, Rifthome, Azure Edge, Stonefire
- +3 Spear: one is handed to you in Spellhold - +3 Bastard Sword: Foebane
- +3 Dagger: Neb's Nasty Cutter
- +3 Short Sword: Sword of Backstabbing
- +4 Scimitar: Hindo's Doom
- +4 Staff: Staff of Rhynn

Hope this helps!

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote