Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 01:08 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>Since I am a young man who still loves his wife, I have to sit down and watch chick-flicks with her sometimes. These two titles are the newest ones on the market at the moment that I can think of, and I have seen the both of them in the past two days. I enjoyed both of them alot. Now...these are not movies for the solo-man. You have to have a girlfriend or wife to be able to enjoy them. Girls will like it without the need of a man around, btw.

Just Like heaven

Fever Pitch</font>
Old 09-18-2005, 10:22 AM   #2
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Oh my god - they "Americanised" the book "Fever Pitch". Ummm - I think I will pass - I can't expect that I could enjoy the concepts that the book deals with being transferred from English football (and The Arsenal) to American baseball - even if it is the Sox and I think they rock. I would be looking for poor treatment of the story themes all the way through and I doubt that I could enjoy it. I'll wait till it makes it to TV I think.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
Orbost
The Magister

Davros, avoid Fever Pitch (or A Perfect Match as it is being called in Oz) at all costs. I was stuck on a plane from London to Melbourne and boredom forced me to give it a go.

It trys to follow the themes of the book (man obsessed with sports team, struggling to hold down a relationship) but cops out for an atrocious sentimental hollywood style ending, in which the the girl learns to love his sports obsessions, and they end up professing their love for one another in the middle of the basebasll pitch, broadcast on the giant screen, while the whole crowd watch and cheer....absolutely nauseating!
Orbost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:39 AM   #4
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Orbost:
Davros, avoid Fever Pitch (or A Perfect Match as it is being called in Oz) at all costs. I was stuck on a plane from London to Melbourne and boredom forced me to give it a go.

It trys to follow the themes of the book (man obsessed with sports team, struggling to hold down a relationship) but cops out for an atrocious sentimental hollywood style ending, in which the the girl learns to love his sports obsessions, and they end up professing their love for one another in the middle of the basebasll pitch, broadcast on the giant screen, while the whole crowd watch and cheer....absolutely nauseating!
Uggghhh gross. That sounds utterly disgusting. How could they desecrate such a great literary work with such shoddy treatment. I only just finished reading the book last week - a good mate of mine gave me the 2005 Arsenal membership pack while I was staying with him, and there were a couple of great books (Fever Pitch of course) and a DVD.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>I cannot apologize for being the kind of husband women want their husbands to be... [img]smile.gif[/img] </font>
Old 09-27-2005, 11:32 PM   #6
Orbost
The Magister

Quote:
Uggghhh gross. That sounds utterly disgusting. How could they desecrate such a great literary work with such shoddy treatment. I only just finished reading the book last week - a good mate of mine gave me the 2005 Arsenal membership pack while I was staying with him, and there were a couple of great books (Fever Pitch of course) and a DVD. [/QB]
Well, I applaud your taste in books, while at the same time commiserate with you on your taste in football teams.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:20 AM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Orbost:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Uggghhh gross. That sounds utterly disgusting. How could they desecrate such a great literary work with such shoddy treatment. I only just finished reading the book last week - a good mate of mine gave me the 2005 Arsenal membership pack while I was staying with him, and there were a couple of great books (Fever Pitch of course) and a DVD.
Well, I applaud your taste in books, while at the same time commiserate with you on your taste in football teams. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Hmmmmph - obviously a no taste jealous Collingwood supporter - am I right or am I right?

And Larry - not your fault buddy, I understand your wife roping you in to seeing "chick flicks" [img]smile.gif[/img] . If there had been a Red Sox movie not LOOSELY based on a book that I rather enjoyed I would have been tempted to go myself.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:05 PM   #8
Orbost
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Orbost:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Uggghhh gross. That sounds utterly disgusting. How could they desecrate such a great literary work with such shoddy treatment. I only just finished reading the book last week - a good mate of mine gave me the 2005 Arsenal membership pack while I was staying with him, and there were a couple of great books (Fever Pitch of course) and a DVD.
Well, I applaud your taste in books, while at the same time commiserate with you on your taste in football teams. </font>[/QUOTE]Hmmmmph - obviously a no taste jealous Collingwood supporter - am I right or am I right?

And Larry - not your fault buddy, I understand your wife roping you in to seeing "chick flicks" [img]smile.gif[/img] . If there had been a Red Sox movie not LOOSELY based on a book that I rather enjoyed I would have been tempted to go myself. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Diehard Liverpool fan in proper football, half hearted St Kilda fan in Aussie Rules.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:06 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Scouser huh - must feel like you walk pretty alone in Melborne then. I was hoping your mob would thrash Chelski last night, but at least they held them to a draw. Man I am really starting to detest that Mourinho git .
Old 09-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #10
Davros
Takhisis Follower

And if you give me too much lip about The Arsenal, I will just remind you of May 25 1989 . It's up for grabs now

[ 09-29-2005, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Davros ]