Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
philip
Galvatron

Well I had a lockup when checking for my secondary IDE cable connections. It'd lock without finding either my CDrom nor the burner (master and slave) and in the POST screen I got a white line over all my screen. I opened my PC and started switching things in and out.

master: burner
slave: cdrom
detects: neither

master: cdrom
slave: nothing
detects: cdrom

master: burner
slave: nothing
detects: nothing

master: cdrom
slave: burner
detects: none and lockup.

All the lights go on and I can play a CD in both of the devices. Only the burner suddenly didn't get recognized anymore. I didn't do anything strange and it was working before. It looks like the cables work right too. Anybody have any ideas or is it simply broken?
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Did you shift the IDE cable? Make sure the red line on the IDE cable is on PIN 1. Also make sure if you only have 1 IDE cable and both drives are set on it that the end of the IDE cable is plugged into the master, and the middle is plugged into the slave.

I didn't get exactly what you said, but if the lights are on all of the time that usually indicates the IDE cable is the wrong way around.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
philip
Galvatron

The IDE cable was in right. It's too short to put it in wrong and with the situation you descrbed I get the lockup. It was working before properly. And the only thing it won't recognise now is the burner or any combination with the burner.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:46 PM   #4
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Could it be that the driver for the burner got corrupted? Maybe you just need to reinstall that. I always try the simpilist (and cheapest) fixes first. Try reinstalling the driver, if that doesn't work, try replacing the IDE cable. Also, make sure that the cable didn't come loose. I've had it happen to me, even though I hadn't moved my computer, cables were loose causing problems.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Has this burner ever worked, or is it a new item you're adding? Also, when swapping hardware, did you verify the jumpers on both?

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Yeah this sounds like a jumper problem, try fidling around with cable select, set them both to cable select and them move them around on the IDE, does the device pick up on your secondary IDE?
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Did you edit anything between it working and not working? Also do you have a spare IDE cable, are the two drives operating on seperate cables?
Old 03-17-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
philip
Galvatron

I didn't change anything and it just stopped working one time. I don't know which drivers I should install then cause it looks like it's always recognized by the BIOS. Maybe I'll update BIOS again too. If it were the cables the other things wouldn't work either right and those are working great, It worked for like 3 or 4 years now. I changed the jumpers as well. There was only one option for master slave and I set those right. One slot I didn't know what it did so I just tried and it would open the tray everytime I started. It works completely except that it doesn't get recognized. So first thing is BIOS/drivers then IDE cable.

Thanks for the help so far! Will try these tomorrow cause it's late and I've had some beers so I don't think it's a good idea to start fiddling now
Old 03-17-2005, 05:08 PM   #9
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Yup, drivers have nothing to do with it, they are there to help Windows run the device, this is something directly hardware related, so just experiment, that what I do.
Play with different cables, try different drives on those cables to see if its the cables, try your burner in someone elses PC.

how old is your burner by the way?
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:09 PM   #10
Froberg
The Magister

Try removing the IDE controller in windows, works for some people.

I am quite serious by the way.