Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2002, 06:41 PM   #11
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I do RAKs every couple of minutes
Old 06-05-2002, 07:37 PM   #12
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
I do RAKs every couple of minutes
RAKs? /)eath, what the * is that, some kind of torchure thing?

Anyway I wanted to comment on Cerek's turning from the Barbarion guild.
1. Give me your armor
2. Give me your sword
3. Give me your boots
4. Give me your helmet

You are now "Cerek the kinsman" of the "Peace Keeping Force".

Conan rips the undershirt from Cerek and kicks dust all over it. Nothing personal bro, but we cant have front line fighters submitting to pink anything yet pillows. The fighters guild strips you of all privlages.
Now, learn to mispell words, kick people when they are down, and defy authority you might have my ear for membership again.

*\Conan/*
Old 06-06-2002, 04:50 AM   #13
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Also, If I were a parent I would teach my children to be very wary of strange men handing out prize-tickets at the local video arcade.

[img]smile.gif[/img] I wish I was kidding about that but I wasn't.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:23 AM   #14
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Also, If I were a parent I would teach my children to be very wary of strange men handing out prize-tickets at the local video arcade.

[img]smile.gif[/img] I wish I was kidding about that but I wasn't.
Unfortunately, that's too true in our society today. My wife was always with me and I looked young enough to not present a threat. But now that I am closing in on 40, it probably wouldn't be a smart thing to do.

Also, to reference the point Sir Goluom made...I would NEVER advocate ignoring common sense. I live in a rural area at least 100 miles from the nearest "large town". It's much safer to stop and help motorists around here. I believe some states (like FL) actually have laws AGAINST stopping on the side of major interstates (I75, etc) to help motorists or pick up hitchhikers. They have call-boxes located about every 2-3 miles. They prefer passing motorist just call for help.

But, enough of that. I would like to keep this thread "ON TOPIC" if possible. So how about listing more suggestions of how you could brighten somebody else's day unexpectedly.

My list in the first post was just a very generic sample.

[ 06-06-2002, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]
Old 06-06-2002, 06:38 AM   #15
Melusine
Dracolisk

That's a great story about the folded clothes, Cerek! Wow [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

And I agree with you that it's great to do that sort of thing. You don't have to go around playing Samaritan, but it's nice to just be there for people when they need you, even if it's just small stuff.
My best friend never really learned English and often calls for help when she has to do assignments in English (she works/studies with mentally or physically disabled or elderly people). The level is so basic that it's no bother for me at all to help her, yet she is always immensely relieved when I teach her who to form some easy sentences she can use. Minimum effort, maximum effect It's great that I can make her so happy with such a little thing. Her last assignment was the best of her entire group, and she got numerous compliments - it made her day [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2002, 10:11 AM   #16
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Thanks Mel,

That's exactly the type of thing I'm talking about.

The incident with the folded clothes WAS pretty amazing - I mean, what were the odds????

A good example of what you can do for co-workers happened when I worked at a local steakhouse restaurant.

I was a dishwasher. We would run the dishes through and take them back to the kitchen, salad room, etc. HOWEVER, the girls that worked the counter were responsible for coming back and getting the drink glasses themselves.

One day, I was working with a new employee. We were caught up and had several stacks of glasses the girls hadn't picked up yet. I told him to grab some of them and I would get the rest.

"Why, what are we going to do?" he asked.
"We're going to take these up front for the girls."
"Why should we do that. It isn't OUR job to do it, it's theirs."
"Maybe so. But if we do this for them, it will make their jobs a little easier."
"They never do anything for US." he replied.
"Well, somebody has to go first" I told him.

By doing little things like that for everybody else, it wasn't long before they would do little things to help me out.

In the end, everybody benefited.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:11 PM   #17
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Uh, Cerek, I have to tell you that if you do that kind of stuff too often, you'll end up as "Cerek the Pigeon" - actually, that's what my hubbie calls me ... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Mr. Moiraine calls you "Cerek", milord ?! But why ?
Old 06-06-2002, 02:29 PM   #18
Moni

Here are some suggestions:

1) Let somebody get in front of you at the checkout line - especially if they have fewer items than you.

2) Do one of your co-workers mundane tasks for them (make some copies, send a fax, etc).

3) Let your friend/brother/sister beat you when playing a game.

4) Stop to help a stranded motorist. (This is one of my favorites).

1. I do this quite often. I've even given the person ahead of me money when they've found themselves short on more than one occasion.

2. Currently I don't have co-workers, unless you count KHaN and I do little things for him often to be nice. He, in turn does things for me sometimes but more often than not, he'll expect me to continue picking up his slack.

3. I play to fairly to cheat in order to let someone else win. I might try with a kid but a brother or sister? Forget it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

4. This is something else I'll do, esp if the person in need of help is old or has children with them. Adult males are usually left on their own by me but there have been times when I've helped them also in spite of the risk involved and was left unharmed by the experience.

Old 06-06-2002, 02:42 PM   #19
Chewbacca
Zartan

It has become more calculated than random, but I give my lunch away to homeless people. I have gotten in the habit of taking extra fruit, crackers, cookies, ect. The first time I did this a real dirty looking guy was begging for spare change, I had an orange in my pocket so I gave it to him. The look on his face was sheer suprise. Some of them have actually gotten mad at me becuase they cant get drunk/high off fruit!They want money and nothing else, oh well.... I wont support their destructive addictions, but I'll share some food!

BTW If you dont have homeless people in your city but want to help feed them, their is an organization call "Food not bombs" that gives away free food in the park and at shelters. The local chapter here only has the resources to operate on weekends and considering the alarming rise in homeless people and the slashing of budgets for shelters over the last 2 years they need all the help they can get.
Old 06-06-2002, 02:52 PM   #20
Moni

Chewbacca, That is an excellent example and thank you for the info!
I used to feed people in my own neighborhood in Tucson...anything from a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk to a full dinner depending on what I had (one year it was a full Thanksgiving spread [img]smile.gif[/img] ).
I'd also take leftover meals to work and share them with people there who couldn't afford to eat lunch.
Sometimes people in need are right under our noses and reaching out to them in kind can offer more than just sustinance, it can offer hope. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-06-2002, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]