Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2002, 03:38 PM   #31
Sigmar
Unicorn

quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
I like both WH and WHK40,000 and have collected armies for both, but due to lack of funds/lack of people to play with discontinued with my WH army.
For Warhammer I collected Wood Elves with my favourite units being the Wood Elf King and Eagle riders. Collected about 1000 points worth before concentrating on 40,000.
In 40,000 I collected Eldar with my focus being on a large aspect warrior army with an Avatar, A farseer, two warlocks, and some auxilery guardians. Most recent purchase being Morgan-Ra the Dark Reaper Pheonix Lord. Still collecting and painting these ATM.

Really a wood elf army? I never knew that, oh well good luck with your Eldar army, make sure you get a falcon tank they'll be useful. BTW- The new sig's ok but I prefer the dog always managed to make me grin, (what was that large dark pile behind him and why was his tail up )
Old 01-20-2002, 04:49 AM   #32
Lifetime
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
The skellies are armed exactly as the original unit. That's why they cost so many points for regular rank and file troops

As for the list of least/most annoying armies, probably
High Elves
Skaven
Dark Elves
All Chaos
Lizardmen
Wood Elves
Empire
All Undead
Orcs and Goblins
Bretonnia
Dwarves
Dogs of War
Chaos Dwarves

But I could als make a list of most interesting armies, best looking armies, toughest oponnent, most fun to play etc. [img]smile.gif[/img]
They'd all be different

Adding on this, if you create a totally NEW unit, or the original unit is wiped out, your skelies only have hand weapons and shields. Plus I dont see the point in arming skelies with double handed weapons, shields AND heavy armor since you cant use shields with double handed weapons, and heavy armor and shields slow you down so much, NOT to mention that troops with double handed weapons strike last. You've just created a stonewall out of bone right there

And I dabbled in Epic 40k(my very first GW game), Battleship Gothic, uh.. lots more actually..
I always wanted to try Necromunda but I couldnt get any of my friends to play it with me.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:11 AM   #33
Sigmar
Unicorn

quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:

Adding on this, if you create a totally NEW unit, or the original unit is wiped out, your skelies only have hand weapons and shields. Plus I dont see the point in arming skelies with double handed weapons, shields AND heavy armor since you cant use shields with double handed weapons, and heavy armor and shields slow you down so much, NOT to mention that troops with double handed weapons strike last. You've just created a stonewall out of bone right there .

Int he new edition of warhammer heavy armour doesn't slow you down (Btw double handed weapons might be a good idea with the undead since their initative is so low the chances are they are always going to be striking last unless they charge.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:19 PM   #34
Tancred
White Dragon

quote:

And Tancred..how does one sustain any interest at all in Bretonnians? Its just Knights, Knights and more Knights..They have 2 kinds of troops, Knights and Squires/man-at-arms.. In the previous edition, my friend and I bought the warhammer boxed set (the one with the lizards and the brets..I must say that the newest edition boxed set is a lot more worth the money), and I took the lizards while he took the brets. Both armies we found equally dull...

WHAT?!? I can't believe I missed THIS!

Well, let's think:
For the painter in me, I enjoyed the striking use of colour and the research into Heraldry I did alongside it.
For the reader in me, they connected with my own fascination with the myths of the Round Table.
For the historian in me, they were a quaint reflection of 12th C. France.
For the daredevil in me, an all-out CHARGE! across the board is not a tactic for the faint-hearted.
For the tactician in me, using a force without decent ranged support is a fair strategic challenge - I learned a lot about the necessity of manouvering in Warhammer.
For the roleplayer in me, I loved the blazons and the virtues and the myriad ways I could personalise my characters and give them names and personalities to match their abilities.
For the fantasy lover in me, I loved the pegasi and the stories of the Lady of the Lake and the fact that I could yell HA! at any characters riding dragons (we're professionals in dealing with 'em).
For the non-conformist in me, I noted a lot of people didn't think of Bretonnians as a cool army, so I went for them.
For the army themer in me, I loved creating stories behind each army - be they an Errantry War, a Duke's Retinue, a Hunting Party...
For the modeller in me, I loved the faces of some of the knight and squire models (The mounted Squires were great models!)
For the gamer in me, I liked the fact that I won a lot!

OK? Don't diss Bretonnia, unless you want 300-odd knights camping on your lawn, forming a queue to challenge you to duel for your honour!
Old 01-22-2002, 10:15 PM   #35
Hesperex

Yes I am a big Warhammer fan ...although I used to be more into it when I was about 15-16 when I had plenty of time to play around with it, although the models weren't nearly so good back then ...arhh the good old days eh
I have a rather impressive dwarf army, The Army of Kazad Cairn [img]smile.gif[/img] Then I have an enourmous Wood Elf army, over 200 rank and file archers alone and 2 dragons not to mention a feindish array of treemen, dryads, glade guard, glade riders, wood mages, great eagles, chariots and various other things woody.
I have a relativly small Dark Elf army, all painted and arnaged as a Drow house, House Freth.
I have quite a lot of chaos stuff aswell, but not enough to arange a legal army by the new rules (since they split the chaos armies into demons, warriors and beastmen that is), its a mixture a demons and warriors ...i dunno now I think about it I probably could make a warrior army upto around 1500 points maybe. 1500 old warhammer points that is, they released a new one now I belive, and i am not sure how the points work now.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Hesperex ]

Old 01-23-2002, 03:58 AM   #36
Lifetime
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Hesperex:
Yes I am a big Warhammer fan ...although I used to be more into it when I was about 15-16 when I had plenty of time to play around with it, although the models weren't nearly so good back then ...arhh the good old days eh
I have a rather impressive dwarf army, The Army of Kazad Cairn [img]smile.gif[/img] Then I have an enourmous Wood Elf army, over 200 rank and file archers alone and 2 dragons not to mention a feindish array of treemen, dryads, glade guard, glade riders, wood mages, great eagles, chariots and various other things woody.
I have a relativly small Dark Elf army, all painted and arnaged as a Drow house, House Freth.
I have quite a lot of chaos stuff aswell, but not enough to arange a legal army by the new rules (since they split the chaos armies into demons, warriors and beastmen that is), its a mixture a demons and warriors ...i dunno now I think about it I probably could make a warrior army upto around 1500 points maybe. 1500 old warhammer points that is, they released a new one now I belive, and i am not sure how the points work now.

Man, thats devotion! I'm going to Melbourne this Sunday so I'm bringing along my models, but not all of my bitz. I hope I'm gonna have something to paint and play with when I get there, but chances are I wont have time to fully devote myself till I come back to Singapore for holidays..
I've got about 60 skeletons and man, painting those guys one by one is TIRING!
Old 01-23-2002, 04:02 AM   #37
Lifetime
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:

WHAT?!? I can't believe I missed THIS!

Well, let's think:
For the painter in me, I enjoyed the striking use of colour and the research into Heraldry I did alongside it.
For the reader in me, they connected with my own fascination with the myths of the Round Table.
For the historian in me, they were a quaint reflection of 12th C. France.
For the daredevil in me, an all-out CHARGE! across the board is not a tactic for the faint-hearted.
For the tactician in me, using a force without decent ranged support is a fair strategic challenge - I learned a lot about the necessity of manouvering in Warhammer.
For the roleplayer in me, I loved the blazons and the virtues and the myriad ways I could personalise my characters and give them names and personalities to match their abilities.
For the fantasy lover in me, I loved the pegasi and the stories of the Lady of the Lake and the fact that I could yell HA! at any characters riding dragons (we're professionals in dealing with 'em).
For the non-conformist in me, I noted a lot of people didn't think of Bretonnians as a cool army, so I went for them.
For the army themer in me, I loved creating stories behind each army - be they an Errantry War, a Duke's Retinue, a Hunting Party...
For the modeller in me, I loved the faces of some of the knight and squire models (The mounted Squires were great models!)
For the gamer in me, I liked the fact that I won a lot!

OK? Don't diss Bretonnia, unless you want 300-odd knights camping on your lawn, forming a queue to challenge you to duel for your honour!

Duel away knight-boy! We'll see how you deal with supernatural strength and phenomenal agility with godly magical powers..

But we found Bretonnians rather dull because of the lack of variety. When compared to the empire, which currently have 6-7 different kinds of core troops alone, Bretonnians made us feel pretty stifled..

Now UNDEAD for that matter..
Skeleton bitz and Vampires! Need I say more?
Old 01-23-2002, 07:56 AM   #38
Anarion

Ive got a near complete skaven 5ed party. is anyone here on the gw forums by any chance?

Old 01-23-2002, 08:00 AM   #39
Anarion

quote:

Duel away knight-boy! We'll see how you deal with supernatural strength and phenomenal agility with godly magical powers..

But we found Bretonnians rather dull because of the lack of variety. When compared to the empire, which currently have 6-7 different kinds of core troops alone, Bretonnians made us feel pretty stifled..

Now UNDEAD for that matter..
Skeleton bitz and Vampires! Need I say more?

Brettonians have variaty IF you like Kknoghts. if u dont bad luck.

im also interested in lizardman armys, any lizard players here?

Old 01-23-2002, 08:06 AM   #40
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Oh I have the older Lizardmen army book.. they're pretty interesting actually. I think I just got bored because of the lack of models at the time.
Im on the GW forums as myself (lifetime)