Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2001, 04:34 PM   #1
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Heard on UK BBC News 24:

"We must address the issues that feed the terrorists."
"Underlying causes need to be dealt with."
"Palestinians need a free State - Israelis need secure borders"

He also said that American policy of Unilateral Action was one of the causes of the problems, and that the terrorists must be identified and dealt with, but I didn't get the exact quotes for those.

Sensible statements. I wonder if anyone will listen?

------------------

Old 09-12-2001, 05:35 PM   #2
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Heard on UK BBC News 24:

Very sensible, I´m afraid that your question after that will be answered with a sad no..
Israel and Palestina wont be solved in a couple of weeks. All agree to the solutions, but no one is willing to give in to make them come true. I mean if the Arab world so wants Palestina to get their own country, why not give some of that desert to them and the rich west world can sum up the money and technology to give them fresh water, schools education systems adn what ever basic infrastructure needed to get started..

Well, wishful thinking. I do hope that we will see a day when it comes true though..

------------------

Be vevvy qwiet..I´m hunting wabbits...
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 09-12-2001, 05:40 PM   #3
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Heard on UK BBC News 24:

He also said that American policy of Unilateral Action was one of the causes of the problems, and that the terrorists must be identified and dealt with, but I didn't get the exact quotes for those.

I heartily agree. It's important for all parties concerned to keep clear heads as they work through this problem. I don’t think it will achieve much to strike back immediately without hard evidence. That will not combat the full plague of world terrorism. I hope that the world leaders involved in this can come up with a strong coalition that can examine closely (and combat) the very roots of terrorism.

Will events take this course though? I really can't say.

------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

[This message has been edited by Sharpedge (edited 09-12-2001).]
Old 09-12-2001, 05:45 PM   #4
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpedge:

Will events take this course though? I really can't say.

Robert McNamara is, so far, the only person I have heard speak with so much sense.....
And, judging by past behaviour, I very much doubt if anyone is much prepared to listen...

------------------

Old 09-12-2001, 05:49 PM   #5
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
This is difficult. I guess many Americans would see this view as admitting some blame, or at least that the terrorists were justified in some way.
Old 09-12-2001, 05:53 PM   #6
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Robert McNamara is, so far, the only person I have heard speak with so much sense.....
And, judging by past behaviour, I very much doubt if anyone is much prepared to listen...

Fljotsdale, I'm just watching a debate about possible action on ITV, if you're interested. Not sure how insightful it is though, as I am paying half of my attention to the forums. At least it isn't cycling those awful images from yesterday.

I've little knowledge of past trends but from what I've heard I'd have to agree, I'm not holding my breath for unified, considered and sustained action, but I can hope...

------------------

Old 09-12-2001, 06:12 PM   #7
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
This is difficult. I guess many Americans would see this view as admitting some blame, or at least that the terrorists were justified in some way.
Yeah, it's really hard to talk about this when the wounds are still open and bleeding.

I do see what you're saying. I can only give you my personal view, which is that the terrorists were not justified to take the actions they did. I am steadfast and uncompromising in that view.

With regard to preventing this kind of atrocity from ever occurring again, it is my respectful opinion that we must carefully examine the causes of it, as well as searching for the immediate perpetrators. Indeed, justice demands that those responsible for the act pay for their crimes and I believe that very strongly.

Additional to this, we must have the sense to delve deeper, to combat the original problems that led to yesterday's tragic events. That is my view at least and I hope, the spirit behind these remarks.

------------------

Old 09-12-2001, 06:17 PM   #8
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Heard on UK BBC News 24:

Yes, very sensible statements, and no, probably our current leaders won't listen.
Old 09-12-2001, 06:19 PM   #9
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

If this is the same Robert McNamara from the 1960's that was in the Johnson Administration, he has little or no credibilty in this country. He's the one that started and prosecuted the Vietnam War.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?
Old 09-12-2001, 06:23 PM   #10
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
If this is the same Robert McNamara from the 1960's that was in the Johnson Administration, he has little or no credibilty in this country. He's the one that started and prosecuted the Vietnam War.

It's the message that should be listened to. Forget the messenger. Besides, apparently he learned something from the mistakes in Vietnam.