Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2002, 09:47 PM   #1
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I have decided that I am going to avoid ID2 until I manage to get a new computer. The computer I am running the game on right now is far too slow, and I cannot stand the constant lagging. I have made it to a point when there is no longer FMP but screenshot transference, since I never actually see anyone moving anywhere just "they're there, then they're there." Also, the game causes my computer to crash constantly, and if the computer itself has been running for a couple of hours or I have had another program running, it crashes even before the game starts. It even goes on to the point where I cannot play multiplayer games because the game locks up due to the "excessive rebuke." I hope I manage to buy a new one soon because I cannot stand this any longer.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 09:56 PM   #2
Saltheart Foamfollower
Manshoon

Doesn't that just suck... It is pretty sad that one has to constantly update one's computer every few months, in order to play games....

I am on my second computer this year alone, just to be able to play to my hearts content. Hopefully all I will need to do with this power machine is upgrade the graphics card down the road...

I was lucky enough to find a great deal on a fully loaded machine a few months ago...
Old 10-18-2002, 10:34 PM   #3
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

DUDE you need to get A Dell, HA, HA, they have the best deals right now and they will even finance students that can show they have a part time job and can make a $30.00 to $70.00 per month payment. My 17 year old son just got a pent 4 processor at 2GHz and for $36.00 per month with 40 Gig hard drive & DVD/CD writer and a 19" monitor, 5 JBL speaker set and alot more. Just chect it out
the worst they could say is no and if the say yes then you'll be up and running and playing in about a week. Don't get me wrong I don't work for these Dell computer people but they impressed me with the service they give to students like my son and I didn't need to sign anything he did it on his own and they shipped it to him or should I say had it delivered 6 days later. well Good luck.
OH YEAH make sure you get it with a good 3D accellerator W/64MB DDR like RADION 7500 or a NIVIDA GeForce2 MX. THE RADION cost $150.00--$6.00 a month more wen you order it with the system.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:35 PM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

What is your computer? Mine is a pentium 333 320 meg RAM, with a 12 megs Vodoo 3 3000. I can run the game just fine except in the cave below the horde fortress. There, all the torch and fire everywhere lag me a little, so I have to pause the game everytime I want to give an action to my characters.

[ 10-18-2002, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 10-18-2002, 11:26 PM   #5
Nanobyte

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
DUDE you need to get A Dell, HA, HA, they have the best deals right now and they will even finance students that can show they have a part time job and can make a $30.00 to $70.00 per month payment. My 17 year old son just got a pent 4 processor at 2GHz and for $36.00 per month with 40 Gig hard drive & DVD/CD writer and a 19" monitor, 5 JBL speaker set and alot more. Just chect it out
the worst they could say is no and if the say yes then you'll be up and running and playing in about a week. Don't get me wrong I don't work for these Dell computer people but they impressed me with the service they give to students like my son and I didn't need to sign anything he did it on his own and they shipped it to him or should I say had it delivered 6 days later. well Good luck.
OH YEAH make sure you get it with a good 3D accellerator W/64MB DDR like RADION 7500 or a NIVIDA GeForce2 MX. THE RADION cost $150.00--$6.00 a month more wen you order it with the system.
I'm not sure I could finance that. Right now I am saving nearly all of the money I make for the car I'm getting in the early fall next year. I was also leaning towards a notebook, since I plan to be a comp. major when I go to college, I might as well get the thing now and not worry about it later, well except for upgrades. I'll have to see how to sort this thing out. Thanx for the advice though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
What is your computer? Mine is a pentium 333 320 meg RAM, with a 12 megs Vodoo 3 3000. I can run the game just fine except in the cave below the horde fortress. There, all the torch and fire everywhere lag me a little, so I have to pause the game everytime I want to give an action to my characters.
I'm not certain. Just imagine a computer, not necessarily up-to-date at the time, but add two years of technology and you'll see my problem.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:26 AM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Before giving up, try changing some of the graphics settings. That may ease the burden a bit on your system.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 01:49 AM   #7
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

You could always solo... [img]smile.gif[/img] Much better FPS when you only have one Character.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:01 AM   #8
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

can allways try things like
A. cleaning up your system. Delete stuff, give more HDD space, do a defrag, remove un-needed programs from memory.
B. run IWD2 in 640x480, turn off weather & extra animations. fiddle with various settings.

P.S. If your PC crashes every hour or so, consider fixing it!
reinstall windows! I dont put up with any crap from my system. Uptime is measured in days or i screw with it until it behaves!
Old 10-19-2002, 10:40 AM   #9
Vassago
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
I was also leaning towards a notebook, since I plan to be a comp. major when I go to college, I might as well get the thing now and not worry about it later, well except for upgrades.
Upgrades for a notebook are a pain in the arse! Most of the components are proprietary, meaning you have to buy them directly from the company that you got your laptop from. If you are still interested in getting a laptop, check out http://www.alienware.com. They have some nice gaming laptops.
Old 10-19-2002, 01:32 PM   #10
Nanobyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack of Speed:
You could always solo... [img]smile.gif[/img] Much better FPS when you only have one Character.
Even if this is a solution, I couldn't make it very far into the game. I'm not a veteran player as of yet.