Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2001, 04:02 AM   #1
Dragonz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Amazonian Mantraps!!! I know a lot of people have trouble with these, and there used to be a lot of posts on them, but nothing came up under search for me. I know I can't stand head-to-head with them so I tried the running method, but hey always seem to find me! 3 0r 4 show up out of nowhere, always when I'm concetrating on something else, and wipe me out! It has gotten to the point where I rarely even play anymore! I love this game and don't want to give up, but there is no fun in dying every time I load up!
Dragonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 05:10 AM   #2
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Gee, I just went in and typed "mantrap" and got an instant 37 matching threads. Let's see - yes, once they have your scent they will track you to the ends of the earth. Fire spells, particularly Firestorm or Burning Haze are what to use. My strategy was to run at first contact to Shurugeon Castle and run straight down the west side of the castle (ie into the moat and down to the tiny land area). The Amazonii will not follow all the way, they will camp back at the moat, a little to the East of the drawbridge. Edge your way about the castle (even swim down the moat) with spell ready. As soon as you can target them, cast the spell and run away back to your hidey hole. Repeat about 3 to 5 times and no big nasty weeds to bother you any more.

Regards
Davros
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 05:35 AM   #3
Fantaghiro
Dungeon Master

If you're magic users are not powerful enough yet, your party is certainly faster. Take to your heels, and run!

These hostile flora are the reason I'm glad I concentrated on building up magic skills.

I think it's best to go hunting them in the day, because you can then see a hostile branch waving about from far enough away to take some preparatory action. At night, they're onto your party before you see them, and then the party is poisoned, gagging and pretty useless.

When my magic users were strong enough to stand up and face these things, instead of running like scared little bunnies and diving in the castle moat, fortunately, they'd split up so I only had to face one at a time. In the meantime, the magic users had levelled a few times in the Castle and gained some long range area spells, Firestorm and Meteor Storm. That made the shrubbery sit up and take notice!

And if you think these things are nasty, wait for the Jungle Lillies!

------------------
Fantaghiro
Fantaghiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 09:17 AM   #4
Trixie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

We actually killed those veggies with Flamedrop, used by both wizards from the tower of Shurugeon Castle next to the gate. Waited all night up there until dawn so we could see three of them in the distance. They must be nearsighted
because they didn't return fire at all.
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 07:37 PM   #5
Mr-Eiz
Drow Warrior

I know this is posted but
I used fire spells and ice spells

The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken sword belt and a
Leather armor.

------------------
T H A N K S
Eiz
Mr-Eiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 08:39 PM   #6
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

As they got more light they seemed to see better.So I (also from the tower wall)
Cast heal on a party member and you will see them outlined in the blue sparkels that come onto the screen.Just wondering you can walk all around on top of the walls did anyone find any special areas from this?

------------------
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightfull place as master of all I survey.
..........O,_
......_.L.=\_:
~~(_)==(_)

[This message has been edited by sageridder (edited 05-01-2001).]
sageridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 08:49 PM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I walked all around the castle walls! Nothing special there to find but I enjoyed doing it!! I got there the hard way too. Not up the towers near the drawbridge - no, I jumped off the ledge near D'Soto's room in his tower!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 09:37 PM   #8
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

I got on top of the wall by climbing up at the broken down section where you first enter the castle. I then walked around the top and lowered the drawbridge without ever disturbing the ghosts. From the way Bartol talked, I got the impression that at one time, the goal was to lower the bridge without disturbing anyone. But because of rushing the game and other factors, it was change to just lowering the bridge.

I kept trying to jump to the top of the main castle, just to see if there was something there. Never made it, though. If I jumped too soon, I always hit the wall and slid down. If I jumped late, I always fell off before I could jump. (I have ALWAYS hated jumping puzzles. Lands of Lore 3 was very bad about making you jump a lot. I hated it.) I finally just gave up.

Did anyone else try to lower the bridge without killing the ghosts guarding the lever?

Knarfling
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 09:55 PM   #9
Balgin
Elminster

Nah, I just jumped off the otwer near D'Soto as well (it was a shortcut to the ground (almost a painful one lol). Oh but it's good to be back

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 04:39 AM   #10
Radek
Red Dragon

Merlin's Shield seems to be able to block their worst attacks. As far as my experience is concerned, they are quite helpless against the spell. Now, a few firestorms and the mantraps are no more.
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote