Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2002, 05:02 PM   #1
TheThing
Banned User

Can an unhealthy individual (either mentally, spiritually, sexually) form a healthy relationship with others(friendship, partnership etc)?

NOTE

the result of the vote by no means represent the universal truth. it is just a reflection of BOARD opinions.

also, mind discuss why you vote your choice?

[ 04-09-2002, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: TheThing ]
Old 04-09-2002, 05:14 PM   #2
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by TheThing:
Can an unhealthy individual (either mentally, spiritually, sexually) form a healthy relationship with others(friendship, partnership etc)?

NOTE

the result of the vote by no means represent the universal truth. it is just a reflection of BOARD opinions.

Argh! Some one has an opinion different from mine?!? That can't be.

In retrospect my vote was predicated on what I thought was ment by spiritually and sexually unhealthy. I would be interested in what TheThing actually had in mind (i.e. is "sexually unhealthy" reserved only for sex offenders or is it broad, including the sexually frustrated?).

[ 04-09-2002, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: onthepequod ]
Old 04-09-2002, 08:32 PM   #3
Charean
Hathor

First of all, I don't think ANYONE really qualifies as healthy. We all have quirks (or something on a scale of minor to extreme) and even the most balanced of us could have some idiosynchrocy that makes the judgment of "unique".

I think the best we are comes out when we accept people as they are without judgement.

So yes... the healthy part comes out when we care for one another.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:21 PM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I do think "Healthy" can be achieved if both work at it. Sorry but I don't think simply caring for someone does the trick in many cases but if one partner/friend has a problem or issues that need dealing with and BOTH are willing to work on them and in some cases if the problems are serious enough, to seek professional help, then yes, of course it can work!

Now in friendships I don't think we are talking running off to counseling with the 'unhealthy' party necessarily, but supporting them if they need it is good and useful.

In a romance of course, it is more likely both will be involved in such things if the issues/problems are serious. If not, they can and most do, work things out together. I think we all come to relationships with our own agendas and backlog of experiences that effect us. Guess, like OTP, I'd want more detail on what you meant by 'unhealthy'. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2002, 12:06 AM   #5
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I dont think anything can properly be described with more than one person coming to an accordance to it, that's why we have individuality... but if you should develop a relationship with someone who seems to be IDENTICAL to your own individual self, could you then be in what would be considered a "healthy" relationship? Perhaps, then again perhaps not, Opinion leads to nothing, science and fact leads to everything. The point of this poll is to answer questions, rather I think it raises them...
Old 04-10-2002, 12:39 AM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:

NOTE

I vote yes on all three. Although some one who is so unhealthy as to behave immorally and inflict harm (sexual or otherwise) upon another does not deserve the rewards of close relationships, until after doing hard time.

Spiritually and sexually, relationships can be one of our greatest teachers and healers of Ourselves. In other-words we can sometimes learn healthy relationship behaviors from our own mistakes in relationships.

As someone who occassionally interacts with a house full of mentally ill people(schitzophrenics) I think its a diservice to them not to be open and friendly. Also a compassionate and tolerant "healthy" person can develop a strong friendship with a schitzophrenic or other mentally ill person. Though an intimate, sexual relationship would be hard to maintain due to emotional detachment, at least from what I understand of that illness in particular.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:35 PM   #7
TheThing
Banned User

interesting, the result is totally opposite of what I anti-cipated [img]smile.gif[/img]

anyway, my vote is "yes". the individual healthiness does not determine the healthiness of relationship. however, the intimacy and depth of bond does rely on individual's healthniess.

just my opinion.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:11 PM   #8
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
interesting, the result is totally opposite of what I anti-cipated [img]smile.gif[/img]

anyway, my vote is "yes". the individual healthiness does not determine the healthiness of relationship. however, the intimacy and depth of bond does rely on individual's healthniess.

just my opinion.
But aren’t intimacy and depth integral to the health of a relationship. That is to say the more intimate and the deeper the relationship the healthier it is. For example a resting heart rate below 65 beats per minute is not requisite for being a healthy individual, however, it does make one healthier, ceteris peribus. Therefore, I argue, that the degree a relationship’s health is determined by the degree to which the individuals themselves are healthy people.

I think it is important to keep in mind that the health of a relationship is something measured on a continuum. Relationships are not simply good or bad. Some are better than others (therefore healthier), which most of the time is dictated by aspects such as intimacy and depth. IMHO.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:32 PM   #9
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

The definition of unhealthy is the antithes of healthy. Therefore, an unhealthy individual cannot form something healthy in the same aspect. A physically unhealthy person could not be physically healthy at the same time. Therefore someone defined as mentally unhealthy could not form healthy mental relationships. A sexually unhealthy person could not form healthy sexual relationships, but may be able to have perfecly healthy relationships with freinds and family because that particular aspect isn't involved. The variable occurs in the fact that everyone has their own opinions of what defines healthy/unhealthy. A physically handicapped person may see a slightly overweight person who wears glasses, smokes, and has hayfever as perfectly healthy. A trained athelete may view the same person as somewhat unhealthy. It's all in the point of view. Many aspects can also "overlap" into others, causing problems in a variety of areas in differing degrees.

[ 04-10-2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Sir Kenyth ]
Old 04-10-2002, 04:50 PM   #10
TheThing
Banned User

a physically unhealthy person can still participate in healthy exersize.

you see, if two individuals in a relationship do not try to work towards each other, end of the story. It doesn't matter if both parties are healthy. however, the opposite is true when both are willing to cooperate. so individual healthiness is not a required elemante.

also, another way of looking at it is, we all have "dark sides", an unhealthy individual may have more of dark side, or had not developed a healthy strategy to cop with it. the process of growth is not only to live as a seperate individual, but to live healthily as a CONNECTED individual. by exploring the dark sides, one can find healthy strategy to cop, thus create a healthy bonding.

[ 04-10-2002, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: TheThing ]