Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2002, 09:44 AM   #1
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

I am still crashing out at Ascension Peak. I have 2 different patchs here and unzipped, the retail patch and 12-24. How do I install these? They are showing in a subfolder but I am doing something wrong. Help... could someone give me a step by step patchs for dummies explanation. THANKS! [img]smile.gif[/img]

*\Conan/*
*\Conan/* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 10:43 AM   #2
Mage_77
Manshoon

This is for the Version 1.2.4 patch. Dont remeber what its number'd at when its zipped as i deleted it after i patched.
(Taken from the readme file that comes with the patch).

Just to make sure you've applied the patch correctly, you should have unzipped Wiz8Patch2001_12_12_release.zip in your Wizardry 8 directory with subfolders intact.
Say Yes to whatever it wants to overwrite. After installing this patch, you will have a Patch.001 file of approximately 500K in your Patches directory.
This patch includes all changes previously released in prior patches and it is not necessary for you to have any previous patches installed -- this one does it all.
Old 02-16-2002, 11:11 AM   #3
vesselle
Hathor

please, only use the 12_24 patch.
so many people who aren't quite sure how to install the patch end up with 2 versions overlapped and that causes all kinds of "cpp assertions" and more game crashes.

when you have finished installing the 12_24 patch, go to your folder named "patches", which will be located at:
C:\Program Files\Sirtech\Wizardry 8\Patches

open it up. there will be one file named "patch.001", but all versions are named that.

right click on the file and click "properties".
on the little thing that opens, you should couple of things.

~Size.............507 KB (519,421 bytes)
~Size on disk.....512 KB (524,288 bytes)

as long as your numbers are the same, you will know that you have installed the last patch v. 12_24 correctly.

good luck!

V***V
Old 02-16-2002, 12:32 PM   #4
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Thanks Mage_77 and Vesselle!
*\Conan/*
Old 02-16-2002, 10:24 PM   #5
simonsez
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm having problems with getting into Trynton (see my topic for missing texture file). Maybe I'm having patch problems.

I have installed 3 patches:

Wiz8Patch001

Wiz8Patch001b

Wiz8Patch2001_12_23_release

Where is the 12_24 patch? Do I need to re-load the game and only install the latest patch?

Currently at Wizardry8.com there is only the 12_23 patch (I'm pretty sure that's the version). Mage_77 mentions the 12_12 patch. I haven't seen this patch either. Where do I get these patches? Which one (ones) do I install?

Thanks.
simonsez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 01:41 AM   #6
Annheiser
Manshoon

12_24 is 12_23. Both are the same patch. If you're having problems, I would delete the entire patch folder, then re-install the 12_24 patch only over again.
Old 02-17-2002, 01:53 AM   #7
vesselle
Hathor

that's good advice. delete the folder and when you re-install be very careful to allow the patch to overwrite EVERY file it wants to, along with maintaining the file structure.

with all those previous installations, it is possible to have a mixed up patch installation. one way you can tell, is that your areas load improperly (like you describe) AND items have strange descriptions, some doors that previously opened will not open for you now, etc.

the MOST important thing to remember is that since you DID install the latest patch, you CANNOT go back to an earlier patch.

the patches are not backwards compatible that way. your save games will become corrupted and you will encounter the dreaded ::gasp:: CTD error! (crash to desktop)
::runs her hand over her bald head, remembering the mistakes that caused her hair to fall out::
i speak from experience. it's not a pretty situation.

V***V
Old 02-17-2002, 10:37 AM   #8
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

quote:
It's not a pretty situation.

[/QB]
Tell me about it...
I have had no success. Now, this is what I am going to do. AAAAHHHHHH

1. re-load 12-23
2. send it to wiz 8 patchs folder
3. extract all

Am I suppost to do anything with it from there? The size is the same except for the save to disc.
I have downloaded it from 2 different sites..same thing.

*\Conan/*
Old 02-17-2002, 11:15 AM   #9
simonsez
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Annheiser:
12_24 is 12_23. Both are the same patch. If you're having problems, I would delete the entire patch folder, then re-install the 12_24 patch only over again.

That's a great idea. I'll try that before I un-install / re-install the game.

THANKS!
simonsez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 12:42 PM   #10
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Crash, crash , crash...):
Speak to me like I have never moved a folder before...please... [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]