Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2003, 04:57 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Arrow

I currently have a level9 ranger who should be able to go Shadowdancer on his next level up. Now, there are two options I am considering. Taking 5 levels of Shadowdancer, and another five of Rogue. Or going for a level 10/10 Ranger/Shadowdancer. What would be the best choice, from a powergamer perspective?
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 05:41 PM   #2
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Depends a little on what race you are. Half elf or human, take 1 level shadowdancer, and the rest rogue.

If you are not, go for a 10/10 build since otherwise you will get xp penalties.

A rouge build is always the best advantage for the shadowdancer since you will be able to utilize that sneak attack alot.

The rogue's problem is that a rogue/shadowdancer will suffer versus creatures immune to sneak attacks.

But since you have a ranger base, you have decent Bab, so if you want to have the bang for the buck, make sure you get enoguh of sneak attack D6's. (on rogue lv 1,3,5 and so on).

To hide to shoot one arrow and run away is good, but to run away shoot one arrow with a sneak attack damage of +5d6 is awesome from powergaming.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 09:03 AM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Thanks Wolfgir. I'm starting to think of restarting. Because there is no way I can beat the golems at the beginning of chapter 2. Is the Arcane Archer any good?
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 10:06 AM   #4
Obsidian the Black
Elminster

Personally, I dont think they did the Shadowdancer class justice in SoU. They didnt include half the good abilities it has.
Obsidian the Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 10:15 AM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Haven't tried the Arcane archer yet, but I know that my archers so far always get past the golems since the arrows withextra damage somehow seems to injur golems anyway.. Interesting.

I think it can be a good builed though.

Quote:
Personally, I dont think they did the Shadowdancer class justice in SoU. They didnt include half the good abilities it has.
Well, they gave them the ability to hide in a well lit room to begin with so they ae extremely powerful for the rogue build, but lack a bit of interest for the other classes though.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 10:51 AM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Thanks Wolfgir. I'm starting to think of restarting. Because there is no way I can beat the golems at the beginning of chapter 2. Is the Arcane Archer any good?
Two facts you should be aware of:

Those golems will hit neutral NPCs in preference to you

and

Arthras is immortal.

Its almost impossible to take those golems on fairly, but if its ignoring you in favour of an immortal target things become a lot easier. Cheesy, but it works. Just use a summon or something to absorb the spells, and then itll follow you all the way back.

And arcane archers are excellent. Very powerful at range, and the enchanted arrows penetrate damage resistance like nothing else. Good bows around as well. The fact they can use a bow effectively in melee saves weapon switching, but the dependency on ammnition can be fatal if you dont take enough. I finished the game with 12 arrows remaining. Forutnately, the standard arrows work well since they can enchant them, so it dosent get too expensive.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:20 PM   #7
Obsidian the Black
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Well, they gave them the ability to hide in a well lit room to begin with so they ae extremely powerful for the rogue build, but lack a bit of interest for the other classes though.
Yeah, but some of there better and needless to say cooler abilities werent added. Admitedly it might of been hard to do, but not immpossible:

Shadow Jump is one of their better abilities, able to teleport a short distance through shadows.

Their shadow in game is turnable and always chaotic evil, whereas it shouldnt be

Nope, Shadowdancer is a very big dissapointment to me...
Obsidian the Black is offline   Reply With Quote