Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2002, 08:16 PM   #21
lroyo

I'm in Sydney, so I guess our biggest claim to fame would be hosting the Sydney 2000 Olympics!

Old 04-27-2002, 08:43 PM   #22
Azred
Drow Priestess

My current home town is an "out of the way place" mentioned in a recent priceline.com commercial. It was also a stopping point on the old Shawnee cattle drive trail (heading up to Kansas).

My previous hometown (Longview, TX) was the first town in America to openly ban the Beatles and hold organized record burnings after John Lennon's famously misquoted/misunderstood "the Beatles are more popular than Jesus" interview. [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img]

[ 04-27-2002, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:53 PM   #23
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

My wife is from East Bend, North Carolina. She wants to brag at this time that during her high-school years, they were National Champions of hunting, rifling, and archery for four years in a row.

Only in the South...do you hear this....she actually got to shoot skeet for P.E. class!
Old 04-27-2002, 10:01 PM   #24
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I live in Orange, Australias Colour City... not realy famous for anything... its the place that everyone has either not heard of, or thinks is cold...
We're about an hour by road from Bathurst, which holds some of the major Australian car and bike races. Other than that, we're about 4 hours by road from Stadium Australia (which is the subject of a legal battle because the company wants their name on it... so Stadium Australia could become Stadium Company X. )
You people do know what Stadium Australia is dont you ?? Heres a clue incase you dont- its in Homebush.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:06 PM   #25
Alexander
Drow Warrior

Well, I did, for a time, live in Simsbury, Connecticut - a very wealthy town, and their claim to fame was that Oksana Baiul (the skater) lived there for a while, Greg Gumbel is from there, and they have the largest tree in Connecticut (big sucker). They also have an explosives factory called Ensign-Bickford, which was a potential Soviet target during the Cold War.

And strangely enough, everyone from Simsbury (myself included, even though I wasn't born there and didn't grow up there) thinks that it's the most boring town on the planet.

I now live in West Hartford (although that also may change), where Noah Webster was born and raised. It's also where the Governor lives.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:11 PM   #26
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
My wife is from East Bend, North Carolina. She wants to brag at this time that during her high-school years, they were National Champions of hunting, rifling, and archery for four years in a row.

Only in the South...do you hear this....she actually got to shoot skeet for P.E. class!
This may sound stupid, but what are skeet ?? [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2002, 10:11 PM   #27
Moni

Cool local history Evil Al!

All we ever had was "The Guy Under Third Base", an early 1900's axe murderer that hacked up his neighbors family with the exception of a seven year old boy who escaped (severely wounded by the axe) and was able to identify the guy who killed his family.
He was hanged but the townsfolk refused to allow him to be buried in the town graveyard so they buried him outside the fence.
In the mid 1960's, the gravestones were removed from the graveyard and put into the new graveyard a mile away. The former graveyard was bulldozed into a baseball field (all of the graves were left untouched, just the headstones were moved).
Third base sits over the grave of the axe murderer.
Funny they think nothing of playing around on anyone else's graves!

Old 04-28-2002, 08:10 AM   #28
Evil Al
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
I was in Cruden Bay last August Evil Al - didn't I meet you in the Chemist shop. Half the twon was in there at the time - sniffles and coughs galore. I played your golf course - what hole is that spring on?

Perth West Australia is where I spent the last 10 years. It is known as the City of lights for the reason that when John Glen did his first manned space flight, there were some navigation malfunctions - computer? - I can't recall - anyway, he needed to get a good positional fix on exactly where he was. At a NASA request, all of Perth were asked to switch every light they had on that night (the local oil refinery even put 12 hours of production flow to the main flares), and Perth fairly glowed. JG made use of this info to fix his position and for NASA to redo his re-entry calcs. Leastwise - that's what they tell me
Cool, i should of thought that at least a few people had been to Cruden Bay. Lol, don't tou think the green keepers would be a bit pissed off when the legions of the undead turn up on the 16th hole?
I might have met you if you played that course. I used to bag carry in the summer, i always found that my American friends were the most generous.
I\'m not bigheaded but go here and tell me just how sexy i am [url]\"http://www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard\" target=\"_blank\">www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard</a><br /><br />War in iraq? Not in my name!<br /><br />Disarm America.
Old 04-28-2002, 08:43 AM   #29
andrewas
Harper

Hey Al, you musta went to Peterhead Academy, right?

Im just trying to think of any kids who match the description "Evil Al", but the only one that springs to mind lives in Peterhead itself. And still has my copy of Escape From Monkey Island now I think of it.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:09 AM   #30
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Al:
Cool, i should of thought that at least a few people had been to Cruden Bay. Lol, don't tou think the green keepers would be a bit pissed off when the legions of the undead turn up on the 16th hole?
I might have met you if you played that course. I used to bag carry in the summer, i always found that my American friends were the most generous.
16th huh - par 3, 7 iron, breeze off the right - two putts from just off the back for a par. Now that you mention it, one of the group lost his ball there in what should have been a lightly grassed dell in the front right of the green. Maybe those undead have a penchant for shiny white objects. I didna have a caddie meself - was carrying my own bag. That was quite a bloody tough climb up to the 9th tee.