Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2002, 02:30 PM   #1
Fishman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Possible spoiler!

Hi, just started playing BGII recently, and I have some questions. First, I completed chapter I, then I rescured Aerie from the circus. Good gal, I like her. Anyway, went to get quest and ran into the gal with her dad trapped by all the trolls. Went there, kicked some butt, but got my yang handed to me by some knight, a bunch of golems and a crew of umber hulks. So, I thought I had taken a quest out of order. went back to town adn picked up the quest that takes you to windspear hills and the dude's son you have to find. Well, needless to say I'm getting my yang handed to me by guardians, vampiric mists and all sorts of stuff. I have to rest after almost every battle.
My question is, did I miss something somewhere, or is this just suppose to be this hard, this early? Should I have just wandered and fought for awhile? I have the paladin who hates his dad in my group, my druid friend who lost her husband, teh clipped wing one, the thief/fighter samuria guy, and the thief/mage whose dad is trapped.
I love this game, but am getting seriously frustrated with getting my butt handed to me this often, this EARLY!! Am I doing something wrong or should I just bear through it?
BTW, I'm a Paladin with the Champion (I think) pack. The one where you get bonuses against demons and dragons. (I'm at work and don't have my book.) Somebody, EVERYBODY please offer some advice.
Many thanks,
Fishman
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 02:38 PM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Heh, I'd say you just picked the wrong quests. Those that you described are pretty hard for a low-level group. My advice is: do some quests within Athkatla before you embark on a journey outside of the city walls. You could do the Skinner Murders-quest in the Bridge District, the Slavers-quest in the Copper Coronet, there are a few quests with easy battles to be obtained in the Temple District.
Just do everything in the city first, and you will be powerful enough to do the other quests after that.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 02:39 PM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Hmm, you have gotten yourself a party, right? Cause if not, it's very hard. Now, the only other thing I can think of, is if your difficulty-level is too high. Go to the options page, and turn down the difficulty.
Oh, and the Paladin-kit is named Cavalier, not Champion, btw.

see ya!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 02:40 PM   #4
Sorcerer Alex

I would certainly go back to town and do the 'easier' quests there, such as the thief and cleric quests. Also make sure you do the slaver ship and clear out the sewer underneath the copper coronet. Once you've done all this (these quests are easy but give you lots of experience points) head into the Windspear Hills.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:42 PM   #5
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
Hmm, you have gotten yourself a party, right? Cause if not, it's very hard.

He did list his party: Anomen, Jaheira, Aerie, Yoshimo and Nalia
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 02:46 PM   #6
Sir Exxon
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:

He did list his party: Anomen, Jaheira, Aerie, Yoshimo and Nalia

Ahh, yes, that's true. Me mistake, sorry.

see ya!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 03:26 PM   #7
Kikakee
Dungeon Master

Wow, no Minsc! I've always thought of him as one of the staple NPCs, right next to jahiera and Imoen! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]
Kikakee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 05:04 PM   #8
Fishman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey, thanks for all the great help. AN answer to the Minsc thing. I dropped him becasue I like the magic users, and I had Anomen (I think his name). Minsc for me seemed to get hit VERY easily, alhtough I had very good armor on him.
It looks as if I'm going to have to start the game over again LOL ...I hate to leave those other quests sitting around while I go back and do easy ones.
These "easy" quests, where do you get them at, and should I still pick up Aerie and Anomen before I do them, or should I go to the temple district and look for that super fighter guy. Kaldorn or something like that. The super paladin?
Fishman
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 05:18 AM   #9
Whailor

Just one warning - J'aran told about some 'easier' fights in Temple District, but as a warning avoid one there - the Guarded Compound one. Not only will you get your Yang handed to you there, but your Ying and teeth and.. backside on the blue plate as well

Save it for the later time, and meanwhile, indeed, do check the other areas in the city out and do some additional quests. Also check the difficulty setting, you may want - if this is the first time you play BG2 - turn it perhaps down from Core Difficulty as well a bit.
Old 01-28-2002, 10:40 AM   #10
Auraleus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Fishman:
Possible spoiler!

I rescured Aerie from the circus. Good gal, I like her.Fishman

That will change.... anyways some advice

SPOILER
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
For the knight... I assume you are talking about the one in the keep in the secret room... just cast charm on him, and you override the charm that the baddies put on him.. you avoid the fight and he just gives you his item (flail piece I think)?

Uberhulks... Jah is good for these because you just have her whip up some summoned sirens, and then they go to town with Hold Monster while your tanks tear them up

Windspear hills is just a tough quest... personally I don't usually go through it until I have come out of the underdark and have some levels under my belt... IMHO between the vamps, werewolves, golems, and DRAGON, I consider this one of the most challenging dungeons in the game... even though it is only around 2 levels