Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2004, 12:26 PM   #1
halyfft
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi! I've been playing a few months now and have checked out the forum a few times. Found lots of helpful hints.
Sad to say, there's a nasty scratch on disc3 that damaged the levels.slf file. The game crashes when entering the Umpani Base Camp. I'm sure it's a CD problem because the levels file won't copy and the game wouldn't reinstall with the option to copy levels and movies to the hard drive. I had lots of time to try all different solutions because I've been trying for a week to e-mail bugs@sir-tech.com. (This user has exceeded his mail quota. Service unavailable.)
Has anyone e-mailed sir tech lately? Am I using the correct address? Should I just give up and buy a new game?
halyfft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:56 PM   #2
Riftmaker
Elminster

I think that Sir-Tech isn't providing support any more. If you're lucky, you might still be able to mail the CD to them and they will replace it (I think). I know they used to do this, but I'm not entirely sure. Failing that, I'm sure someone on here will gladly mail you a replacement copy.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:16 PM   #3
dplax
Jack Burton

As far as I know Sirtech are out of business.

And Riftmaker you should be careful of discussing sending CD's here, since Ironworks rules state that pirating is not a permitted subject for discussion on the forums.

[ 09-29-2004, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: dplax ]

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 04:01 PM   #4
Riftmaker
Elminster

If you can't find a copy of one of the CDs legitly, then what ARE you supposed to do?

I don't think he wants to go buy ANOTHER copy of the game for a single CD. I don't think it should be called pirating if you have already PURCHASED the game, and just need a replacement CD. I know Atari was being a POS when I tried to get replacement CDs out of them for NWN. Eventually I just gave up, and bought another copy on Ebay.

Besides, if the game isn't being published anymore, then where the hell are you supposed to buy another copy legitly anyway?
Old 09-29-2004, 04:15 PM   #5
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Riftmaker:
If you can't find a copy of one of the CDs legitly, then what ARE you supposed to do?

I don't think he wants to go buy ANOTHER copy of the game for a single CD. I don't think it should be called pirating if you have already PURCHASED the game, and just need a replacement CD. I know Atari was being a POS when I tried to get replacement CDs out of them for NWN. Eventually I just gave up, and bought another copy on Ebay.

Besides, if the game isn't being published anymore, then where the hell are you supposed to buy another copy legitly anyway?
Then you don't and case closed. IW strictly forbids any illegally buying or mentioning on it's site. Z is running IW for kicks, and at least respect the rules.

Sirtech is pretty much gone. Whatever Linda currie or some stupid interview said, they are gone and will be gone for awhile. They might come back, but probably not. It is the end of a great gaming company and that's that.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 04:59 PM   #6
dplax
Jack Burton

I agree that buying a three CD game because of one scratched CD is ridiculous I was just reminding you of the rules of this forum. Maybe other forums allow discussion but IW is run By Ziroc and it is he who makes the rules, so basically I am trying to prevent you from getting into trouble.

Old 09-29-2004, 05:47 PM   #7
Nightowl2
Galvatron

If it's just that .slf file that's damaged, perhaps someone could just send him that? Of course, I don't know how big it is; email might not be an option. But if it isn't too big, that would be better than looking for the game somewhere and buying it all over again.

Otherwise, I'd suggest checking ebay or Amazon for a new one.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:16 PM   #8
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

This doesn't help Halyfft at all but I've seen a thread from Ariana on the VN Boards that the latest issue of the German edition of PC Gamer has a free copy of Wiz8 on it's cover disk.

I'm assuming that this is a sister mag to the UK edition of PC Gamer. If so, perhaps the UK edition may also have Wiz8 for free at some time?

Halyfft, if this is the case I'll send you the cover disk so keep your fingers crossed.
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:19 PM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I think in a case like this there should be allowances anyway. PC software companies are dropping like flies and we're left holding the defects. He should be able to get a full refund, but oh, that won't happen either will it?
I have a co-worker who always boasts about downloading movies. He makes them for anybody who wants them. That's a far more serious issue to me than someone needing a file for a game he's already bought and paid for!
I was lucky that I could exchange my copy back when they still had some on the shelf.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:46 PM   #10
dplax
Jack Burton

I was just saying that discussion of pirating in a strict sense is not allowed on IW. I'd suggest using pm's or other means of communications.

[ 09-29-2004, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: dplax ]