Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2002, 08:43 PM   #1
zakharak
The Magister

Here's a troublesome Pain in the Arse!

Going through Dragon's Eye, but now i think that i am about to confront Yxonomei! Don't know yet, because i had to run and sleep. I am impressed by the number of trolls and other nussainces. Gosh, where do they come from, and when do they stop coming? I assume (by some posts i have read) that they are being summoned by Her. I thought that i got the High Summoner dude, allready, but...

So anyway, upon returning to the 4th area, i go into the library, close the door and suit myself up for the attack. Thing is, I didn't pause the game so my smell was released into the hall, bringing on the largest force i have seen. Soo, when i am ready, i open the door and Vamush (!) they are there, and i can't even escape. rrrgghh, it seemed like i was able to trap them out, with the bodies of a couple trolls in the door, and attack with arrows, (the few that i have left) but it only worked for a bit, then those in the way, awoke, etc... I don't have any chance.

Im not sure, but could someone tell me if it is worth attacking trolls when they are 'sleeping?'

One more thing: the bigger the battle, the more lag i report. It sucks, i thought upgrading my memory would help, but not here. It sorta makes it hard to use tactics efficiently, are there ways to improve performance, (i allready turned off all feedbak). AND; am i going to run into this in future battles, but only with more lag? I hope not. Wish my video card worked.

I LOVE THIS GAME!!! Hard to tell from this note, but with everything that this game has, i am satisfied! It's all about pulling out of the corners and stabbing and slashing many vulnerable creatures. Ohh, Oh, why doesn't my backstab work, or my turn undead? I havn't figured out either. besides would backstab work against these monsters? OK. Thanks for your time. Enjoy the Gaming! Don't corner yourself!

Zakharak
Old 02-25-2002, 03:08 AM   #2
Darkman

Hmm, lots of questions!

Firstly, you know that Trolls can only be killed with fire or acid right? When they are sleeping, they are almost mostly dead. They will wake up after a few rounds and continue fighting if you don't finish them off with some sort of acid or fire.

[[[[SPOILERS REGARDING LEVEL 4 OF DRAGON'S EYE]]]]

On level 4, there are lots of enemies and you need to make sure you kill them all including the High Summoner. There are also some minor summoners that need to be killed as well since they will summon monsters to fight you. Even after you clear level 4, you cannot safely rest there unless you talk to the prisoners or before the fight begins you can talk to the healer. If you free the prisoners you'll have to go back to level 3 to rest your party. Trust me, you'll want to rest before Yxonomei [img]smile.gif[/img]

[END SPOILER]

If you are experiencing game lag you could try turning off 3D excelleration if you had it enabled. Don't know how else to help.
Old 02-25-2002, 02:43 PM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

zakharak,

I am one level behind you, in Dragon's Eye.

Like Darkman said, trolls are very susceptable to fire and acid, and seem to be at least a little resistant to most everything else. (Magic works great, though, e.g., "magic missle" and "Agannazar's scorcher"). To make matters worse, they regenerate lost hit points. To make matters even WORSE, when their HP get low, they will lie down and "play dead" until they have regenrated enough HP to get back into the fray. You haven't killed a troll until you see him fall down at least twice (or, heh, heh, see body parts flying). Watch for it. Even when I go into overkill and have all 6 of my characters rain fire, acid and magic down on just one of the poor, miserable wretches, he always falls down once and then comes up at least to his knees before finally expiring.

A cheat I allow myself is to use import/export methods (or Dalekeeper) to multiply the quantity of arrows I find; so I have plenty of fire and acid arrows. If I was low on acid/fire/magic, I would take a troll's HP down with conventional weapons, then target him with fire, acid and/or magic, for the coup de grace, just before he goes into possum mode.

Here is a computer performance data point for you: I have a 1.8GHz P4, 512MB RAM, Windows XP, and a 32MB Invidia card. I have the game set to: high search nodes, lots of feedback (autopause), and "normal" (default) frame rate. I have not experienced the "lag" that you speak of. (Most of my battles are autopaused about every 3 frames, anyway, to allow me to change orders; so, of course, the battle scenes do not flow like a movie. I kind of prefer the ability to do detailed battle management over smooth video.)

Ah! Wouldn't it be nice if you could micro-manage your battle; then, after you're done kicking tush, have an option to replay it?!

For backstab: Do you realize that your thief needs to successfully "hide in shadows" first? After he is hidden, the next attack he makes with a bladed weapon will automatically get the backstab bonus. I believe he must remain successfully hidden for the backstab to work (i.e., the thief must not venture into a lighted area, or he becomes visible, and backstab won't work --> so your victim must be where your thief can get to him while remaining in shadows.)

(Sorry, I can't speak more authoritatively on this, since my thief/illusionist spends virtually all her battle time throwing fireballs, casting Agannazar's Scorcher, etc. I use her thieving abilities in between battles.)

If you have HoW installed, you can optionally choose "Sneak Attack" mode; which gives the thief a really neat attack mode, but disables backstab.

I haven't used turn undead much at all, even though I have a Paladin and a Cleric; but I understand that if your character is turning undead, he can't be doing anything else (with the possible exception of walking). If you do (something else), you cancel the "turn undead" command.

Hope you found this helpful.

Edit: Added thief and cleric paragraphs.

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: NobleNick ]

NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 03:33 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Once you make it into Dragon's Eye, take all the available cash you can scrape together and buy all the Flaming Oil you can from whats-his-name in Kuldahar (the gnome in the airship). Also, Lizard Shaman ( [img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img] what's the plural of shaman? shamen? shamans? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] ) have Flaming Oil on them once they drop. As soon as a troll lies down from damage, drop a Flaming Oil on his ugly carcass. fwoosh! Toasty. Keep your mages well-stocked with Burning Hands as well (I don't use Magic Missile in Dragon's Eye). I think the priest spell Flaming Sword works wonders here, too, but don't quote me on that.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 04:23 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

Ah, yes! Thanks Azred! I forgot to mention that I've been throwing those puppies left and right. REALLY handy!

Why don't you use magic missile; just a personal preference? Or is it something else that I should have noticed, but haven't?
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 05:38 PM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

I simply don't use Magic Missile in Dragon's Eye; Burning Hands is more effective for use against downed trolls. In other areas, Magic Missile is a life-saver (especially against enemy priests/mages as spell disruptors).

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:26 PM   #7
DarkMyst
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i just give all my ppl ranged attacks usually bows and h.crossbow
but i love detonating arrows. in dragons eye give your ppl a couple, lets say about 5 to keep things simple and use on grouped trolls preferably ones that have fallen?
Old 02-25-2002, 06:31 PM   #8
DarkMyst
Elite Waterdeep Guard

spoiler i think

yxunomei, i actually found her easy [img]smile.gif[/img]
use flame, well lots of fire magic including those magic flame arrow thingy, then run away and close a few doors behind her. rest then go back for more attacks on her, but keep her busy with a strong person.
if she disappears from the last room she should be in the room north west on the map. just carry on resting and casting fire attacks.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:09 AM   #9
zakharak
The Magister

Whoa, chill chill!!!!

You all have most definately answered my question. Thank you a bunch. I have actually not taken my eyes off of Icewind Dale for more than an hour or two today, just for one battle. Finished though, now i get to ponder more about the world map!!

My method consisted of all you said, with the exception of half of the fire spells and oils you were saying! That flaming oil, i had enough of, but kept hitting my own brothas, and irritating me. Then burning hands would miss everytime, but A. scorcher was great, especially when........

I suppose that backstab has been working.. I have had it off in Feedback. and it doesn't appear to be from the "back"!

Ahh, i am glad that is over. I ended up losing one, and went back for "raise dead" . then i kicked the other guys butts in all the other rooms. All in all 1 hour of battle with Yxunomei.

Peace, folks.

ps. ranged attack took care of 85% of encounters. and i always saved my +1 and fire arrows. Actually, now that i think about it, i still haven't used those , lol!