Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 10:04 AM   #1
Andraste
Manshoon

Hauling Ass for Imoen

On another thread, the question was debated whether it is possible to recover Imoen when she has the same amount of experience points as the rest of party, with a particular comparison to Nalia. With a few hours free, I put it to the test and can report the following (cheat free) outcome:

Mods installed
Official patch
Balderdash patch
Ease of use (unlimited stacking, grandmastery and no 'You must gather your party....')
Dungeon-be-gone

PC char ('Mad Axe' Ethel) Neutral-Good Berserker, ***** in axes, * in hammers.

What I did
Straight to the exit, thanks to Jasper St Biard, pausing only to gather Yoshimo, Jaheria and Minsc on the way.
Picked up everything dropped by the dead shadow thieves and then on to the slums.
Agreed to collect the money for Galen
Over to the Copper Coronet where I added Anomen and Nalia to the party (this being the absolute quickest that it is possible to get them)
Freed the gladiators in the Copper Coronet, picked up everything and flogged most to Bernard.

(Aside: at this point, if I had been willing to part with everything, I would have had the 15,000 necessary to move on. However there were a few things I did not wish to give up (Helm of Balduran, etc), leaving me about 2,000 short. And so...)

To the Graveyard district, into the crypt, looted a few tombs and killed a few spiders (I was going to have to do it anyway)
Got waylaid on the way back to the Copper Coronet, which further added to my loot haul.
Flogged the loot, stepped outside, met Valen, hopped back to see Galen, paid over the 15000 and headed to the docks.
Completed the first two missions for Lindale, and picked up everything dropped
Took loot to the Copper Coronet, flogged it, and bought Azuredge.
Went to the crypt and dealt with everything there

(Another aside - berserker + grandmastery in axes + Azuredge - oh my goodness, I almost felt sorry for the vamps.)

Back to Lindale, on to the island, offed Perith the Adept, into Spellhold, goodbye Yoshimo, hello Imoen.

And so, the results of all this were:

Ethel (level 9 berserker) 417,115 exp
Anomen (level 7 fighter, level 9 cleric) 64,000 + 355,276 = 419,276 exp
Jaheira (level 8 fighter, level 10druid) 197270 + 197270 = 394,540 exp
Minsc (level 9 ranger) 396,276 exp
Nalia (level 4 thief, level 11 mage) 5,000 + 406236 = 411,236 exp
Imoen (level 7 thief, level 11 mage) 40,000 + 400,000 = 440,000 exp

I therefore declare that it is possible to get Imoen back with more experience points than anyone else, and although Nalia is (a frankly measly) 6,236 points towards her level 12 mage, Imoen has more points overall, making her a useful thief (Open locks: Imoen 100, Nalia 60; Find traps Imoen 95, Nalia 80) for people who aren't bothered about backstabbing, sneaking or picking too many pockets (both at 35, and so needing about 3 potions if you want to complete the Wave Halbard).
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

Wow, that's rather impressive. Of course, it does take some careful planning. I doubt if you wouldn't have the proper equipment (*cough* Azuredge *cough*) you would have made it, but kudo's to you anyway.

[img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] I want a new computer so I can play too!!!! [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:42 AM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
You know I have nothing but good things to say of you, and the utmost respect for you.

But Ethel the Berserker fails to strike fear into my heart. She'll skewer the enemies while they're laughing, I suppose.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

How much XP do you sacrifice by not doing C.I.?

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

None. Dungeon-Be-Gone gives you XP as if you've dealt with all the encounters in C.I.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
Andraste
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
You know I have nothing but good things to say of you, and the utmost respect for you.

But Ethel the Berserker fails to strike fear into my heart. She'll skewer the enemies while they're laughing, I suppose.
That's because you don't know Ethel. Allow me to introduce her.

"All right, my poppets...are we set? Do we know what we're doing?" The diminutive woman smiled benignly at the assembled group.

"Yes madam. Your instructions are quite clear." Anomen, ever fond of the sound of his own voice, was the first to answer. "You are going into the room and will lure Lassal out here-"

"Where we jump him, and make him a very sorry vampire. Oh yes sirree. No problems," Minsc said, excitedly.

"After we cast some buffing spells," Nalia finished.

"Yes, well, I think we covered the whole plan in there somewhere." Ethel's smile never faltered. "So, let's be busy little bees, shall we."

Jahiera said nothing but added her own magic to the mix. While waiting for the others to finish casting, she again studied their leader.

Ethel must have been 19, going on 90, a true blend of her parents - half sweet little lady, half hell on legs. What strange chance had taken Bhall, Lord of Murder, to the Neverwinter Tea Rooms (est1410, light refreshments, morning coffee and afternoon tea - parties catered for by arrangement) on his journey down the Sword Coast? Surely he had not been drawn by tales of the chocolate fudge brownies or the Wednesday lunchtime special (salmon and cucumber sandwich, toasted current bun and a pot of tea for the all-in price of 1 gold piece)?

Even more unlikely, in his quest to find fitting mothers for the hoard of Bhallspawn, his attention had fallen on the manageress, Daisy Hooper. Jahiera shook her head in bemusement - maybe the fudge brownies really were as good as everyone said. But it didn't fit the God's image. Small wonder that Bhall had invented tales of the cult priestess to cover his brief interlude with scones and Earl Grey.

Meanwhile, the buffing was complete, except for the last step. Ethel straight her neck, flexed her shoulders and took 3 short, panting breaths. Immediately a change swept over her. The veins on her forehead stood out, her eyes became bloodshot and her lips twisted in a feral snarl.

"I'm going to kick bottom." Ethel turned and disappeared into the dark.

The rest of the party flattened themselves against the walls of the corridor, weapons drawn. All eyes were fixed on the faint light shimmering off the central pool of blood. The waiting drew out, slowly, painfully. Jaheira's hands tightened on the handle of her recently acquired staff-mace - not that she had any doubt of how the encounter would turn out. She had long ago ceased to be surprised by this particular Bhallspawn.

Then, from the room of traps, came Ethel's unforgettable war-cry, "Death or Strawberry Cheesecake".

She was answered by deep but inhuman muttering and then a howl of rage, cut suddenly and terminally short. By the sound of it, Lassal had not opted for cheesecake.

Another brief moment of silence ended as Ethel strode back into the light.

"Oh no, no, no," Minsc wailed. "It was my turn this time."

"I'm sorry. Who have thought that the great booby would have failed his very first save against death." Ethel sounded disappointed as well. "Cheer up, dear. You can have first pop at the next one."

Ethel looped her arm through the huge ranger's, and they led the way back towards the coffin room.

"Boo says I should bop her on the brainpan with my new mace."

"That will be lovely, dear. And then we can all have a nice cup of tea."

"And cake?"

Jaheira closed her eyes. The really worrying thing was that the pair seemed to be reading from the same script. Nalia and Anomen were no better.

"Did I tell you about the time I saved 15 milkmaids from an ogre?"

"The dairy industry is notorious for paying meagre wages."

"It was my first battle after I'd become a squire."

"The real fight is to ensure that the poor receive fair wages for their work."

Their voices also faded. Jaheira slumped against the wall and covered her face with her hands. She remembered her dreams of joining a band of brave and noble comrades, upholding the balance of life. This lot couldn't find balance if you propped them up with scaffolding. How had she ended up with them?

A pat on the arm recalled her. She looked up to see Yoshimo's concerned expression.

"Is something wrong? Do you need my assistance?"

Jaheira managed a weak smile. "It's all right Yoshi. Just stay as you are. You're the only one here I can really trust."

She turned and walked up the corridor - and so missed the fleeting look of regret that darkened Yoshimo's face.

[ 08-01-2005, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Andraste ]
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #7
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Hm.. Well, I've lavished enough praise on you this year, but I'm sure you know my opinion. I can't let the rest of the board think I've gone soft, now, can I?

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:13 AM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Then again, is it even possible to overly praise great roleplaying?
Old 08-02-2005, 03:29 AM   #9
Western Paladin
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Andraste:
That's because you don't know Ethel. Allow me to introduce her.

Okay, that was just cool.

"We saved the world. I say we party." -- Buffy
Western Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:56 AM   #10
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

i'm only an occasional and uninstalled visitor these days but i was glad i caught that - another little gem [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-02-2005, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: Armen ]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote