Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2001, 05:28 PM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

I suppose this topic should be on the the General Discussions Forum....but I'd rather know what my friends here have to say.

My very first experience with an "RPG" type game was "Advanced Dungeons And Dragons - Treasure Of Tarmin" on the Intellevision Video Game System (1983).

I believe my first experience with a computer RPG was Ultima III on a Commodore 64.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 05:40 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

For a true CRPG?

Wizardry I: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (1981).

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 06:45 PM   #3
catzenpewters
Manshoon

Not sure what the 'C' is in 'CRPG' (am I showing my ignorance here??), but my first RPG was Rogue, on what passed for a PC at the time. Would have been about 1985, I think. Got hooked and here I am
catzenpewters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 06:56 PM   #4
Moni

The "C" stands for computer, right?

Well I'll have to admit, I did not have a computer until 1995 that I would play games on however, I did have one in 1986 that I used to play with using my limited programming abilities, as a study tool for computer courses I took for college credits, and as word processor when I began taking my writing seriously.

My son had a Nintendo that I played "Wizardry 1 Proving Grounds of The Mad Overlord" on in 1990 after seeing friends replay it for their umpteenth time on their commodore 64.

If you are going to require me to be totally technical to answer your question, Mark, I think it was Daggerfall on my actual PC in 1996.

: )
Moni

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 03-20-2001).]
Old 03-20-2001, 07:01 PM   #5
slug
Manshoon

i also started with proving grounds. "contra dextra avenue"
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 07:03 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Moni: I'd say that Nintendo's versions of Wizardry qualify!

Oh, yes, good ol' "Contra Dextra Avenue!" I remembered enough Latin to be able to get the idea that it meant to "turn left!"

-Sazerac

And, Mark, I think you can run any poll here with impunity...We're a different bunch from the other forums.

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 03-20-2001).]
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 07:08 PM   #7
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi everyone,

Well, as I said before many times "The Dungeons of Daggorath". I played it in about 1985, though it was released in 1982 by Dyna Micro. It was a one of a kind RPG, played in first person mode (like WW), way back then. The monsters actually came after you, and you would see a picture of them, then sounds of them attacking you, your heartbeat.....the game was so intense, you would be sweating and have a racing pulse just playing it!

I too, first played Wiz 1 on the NES...it was in the early 90's. Great game...I think I got my party up to around level 50...gosh I played it way too much!

Hmm, I did see Bards Tale II: The Destiny Knight in high school....that was in about 1990...I loved that game so much I used to stay after school to play it on our labs Apple IIgs!

Those were the days.......

Scronan
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 07:12 PM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

The C which does mean computer was an attempt to distinguish a first experience with roleplaying games that are not pen and paper. Video games do apply because in the very old days of Atari, Mattel, Coleco, etc. there were few computers in the homes. So by extension we can also add Nintendo, Sega,TurboGraphix and others to mix. I just want to know your "Roots".

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 07:18 PM   #9
Maggy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My first CRPG was Bards Tale played on a C64. It got me really hooked and I=ve been playing RPGs ever since.
-

------------------
Cheers Maggy
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 07:38 PM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Rogue and Larn and Nethack - did all of those endlessly until games like Wiz 1 finally arrived! I wonder if Asylum qualifies - probably does in an abstract sort of way - gosh those graphics were so very primative by today's standards!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote