Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2002, 02:48 PM   #1
WillowIX
Apophis

Íīm trying to merge my 2 partitions on my slave drive. Used Partition magic but that screwed up the drive totally. I now have a 2Gb primary partition, 18Gb unallocated and a 20Gb partition. Partition magic wonīt work anymore it just freeze all the time. So I have to use fdisk I think. The problem is I canīt remove that secondary 20Gb partition. It says something about logic units. I canīt remove those either. Can anyone help me here?
Old 10-02-2002, 04:15 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

You may be in serious trouble you know. If fdisk isnt deleting the partition, it means that partition magic damaged the table in very strange ways. Try deleting everything - primary, extended and logical partitions.

Also posting the exact error may give a clue as to whats happened.

fdisk wasnt designed to cope with damaged partition tables (A tool that can delete the whole thing and start from scratch would be perfect, does anyone know of such a thing?). You might be able to coerce it by playing around though. Try adding another partition to take up that unallocated space. Might be able to bodge the partition table into something partition magic can understand. Usual tactic when something like this happens is to try everything, on the basis its probably impossible to make it worse.

Or see if theres anything useful in Partition Magics docs. Being a poor ex-student (Thats poorer than current student) I dont have it to hand.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:39 PM   #3
Animal
Gold Dragon

As a last resort you may have to do a low level format of the drive, however fdisk should be able to fix the problems you've encountered. It almost sounds like you have the 20GB set up as the logical and the 2GB as the extended and if so you'll have to remove the 2GB first, and then remove the 20. Most HD manufacturers have disk tools that come with the drive or can be downloaded from their website that'll fix it up for you.
Don't worry though, the HD itself is okay just the partition table is hooped.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:02 PM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

Thanks guys. The cavalry has arrived up here though [img]smile.gif[/img] The hubby has asked a fellow from his work to stop by and take a peek on it. Hopefully he can fix it for me. All I know is that the 20Gb is the extended partition (and logical apparently) and the 2Gb is the primary... When trying to remove the logical it says something about "no logical element selected" or something like that. The primary I can remove but that doesnīt help me a lot. I canīt get rid off the extended.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:10 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Just for future reference how do you run a low level format these days? I havent done it since I was 8. Not the kind of thing you do often but if I dont ask itll turn up tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:35 PM   #6
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Just for future reference how do you run a low level format these days? I havent done it since I was 8. Not the kind of thing you do often but if I dont ask itll turn up tomorrow.
I`m taking a realy wild guess here, but
Right click the Primary Hard Drive in "My Computer", select "Format...", and deselect the box that says "Quick Format".
Old 10-03-2002, 12:01 AM   #7
theholyavenger
Manshoon

When in dos, at the A prompt type the following----> format c:

Better than using Fdisk if you don't want any of your data in your hd anymore!!!
\"There once was a warrior true,<br />with the sense knocked out of him, too.<br />But in a hamster he found,<br />some wisdom profound,<br />and now where goes he goes his Boo!\"<br /><br />~Crazy Celvan in Baldur\'s Gate II Shadows of Amn
Old 10-03-2002, 03:22 AM   #8
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
You'll need software capable of doing it. Most HD's come with a utility for low level formating. I prefer to use the good old DOS Disk Manager. The only problem with a low level format is the amount of time required on todays bigger drives. If I remember correctly my 80Gig took about 6 hours.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:32 AM   #9
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by theholyavenger:

Better than using Fdisk if you don't want any of your data in your hd anymore!!!
Format doesn`t do partitions. It only wipes everything from the drives, and redoes the boot sector.
You need Fdisk or similar to delete or create partitions, and set particular partition as bootable.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:01 AM   #10
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by theholyavenger:

Lower level than that. Format handles stuff within a logical drive, low level format handles the physical disc and erases the partition table as wel.