Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2001, 08:07 PM   #31
Tancred
White Dragon

Ack! So mush literature I don't know! Well, here's my few scenes:

"You evidently don't know me," said he.
"On the contrary," I answered. "I think it is fairly evident I do. Pray take a chair. I can spare you five minuted if you have anything to say."
"All that I have to say has already crossed your mind," said he.
"Then possibly my reply has crossed yours," I replied.
"You stand fast?"
"Absolutely."
He clapped his hand to his pocket, and I raised the pistol from the table. But he merely drew out a memorandum-book in which he had scribbled some dates.

He took an avid step forward. "The spectacle of your puerile strivings gives me glee to repay my long patience, for your defeat has ever beern as certain as my will. Were I to be foiled, the opportunity belonged to your companion, not to you - and you see how she has availed herself of it."
With one strong, blurred arm, he made a gesture toward her that nearly unseated her reason. Again he laughed - but his laughter was devoid of mirth.
"Had she seduced you of the ring; ah, then I would have been tested. But therefore did I choose her, a woman althogether unable to turn aside from my desires."

"My problems are varied." he said. "The most immediate is to impress you with my potentialities. To be able to make such an unorthodox remark is in itslef a sign of originality. I am not indispensible to you yet, sir, because you have never made use of my services; but after a week's employment under your roof, sir, I could become so. I would be invaluable. I am purposely precipitous in my remarks. Either you reject me here and now or you have already at the back of your mind a desire to know me further. I am seventeen, sir. Do I sound like seventeen? Do I act like seventeen? I am clever enough to know I am clever. You will forgive my undiplomatic approach, sir, because you are a gentleman of imagination. That then, sir, is my immediate problem. To impress you with my talent, which would be put to your service in any and every form." He raised his glass. "To you, doctor, if you will allow my presumption."

Tancred

Even I don't fully know where these are from...
Old 06-09-2001, 08:41 PM   #32
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

OK, I'll admit it...
all of the open ones have me stumped.

Could someone smarter than me list the ones that haven't been answered? I'm lost.

------------------
Old 06-10-2001, 07:24 AM   #33
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by RudeDawg:
OK, I'll admit it...
all of the open ones have me stumped.

Could someone smarter than me list the ones that haven't been answered? I'm lost.

And yet she stood full low and still aloon
Behinden other folk, in little brede
And nigh the door, ay under shames drede,
Simple of attire and debonnaire of chere,
With full assured looking and manere.

I'll give you the answer to this - I guess it WAS pretty difficult:

Troilus & Criseyde by Chaucer
(Long before Shakespeare's nasty version - Troilus and Cressida!)

I don't know any of the other quotes, either, though Tancred's first one looks as though it may be a detective novel or a war novel.

They were in a large, bright cave who's walls were smooth and polished. Before tham stood a metallic box with a series of buttons at the front, and a pane of glass at the top.
GREETINGS the pane of glass printed.
**** and ****** dismounted. "And greetings to you, you rusty box," ****** said facetiously.
YOUR VOICE SOUNDS FAMILIAR, the screen printed, WHAT IS YOUR IDENTITY?

And this one is by Piers Anthony, from the Xanth series. A meeting with Com-Pewter in Golem in the Gears. I thought a lot of people would know it, since there are quite a few Piers Anthony fans on the forum!
------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 06-10-2001).]
Old 06-10-2001, 08:18 PM   #34
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:

I don't know any of the other quotes, either, though Tancred's first one looks as though it may be a detective novel or a war novel.

Not just A detective story. THE detective story. Or should I say... storIES?

Tancred
Old 06-10-2001, 08:26 PM   #35
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:
Not just A detective story. THE detective story. Or should I say... storIES?

Tancred
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
(can't remember the exact case, though)

------------------
Old 06-10-2001, 08:29 PM   #36
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by RudeDawg:
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
(can't remember the exact case, though)

DING! Absolutely right. In this case, The Final Problem. The 'he' referred to in the quote is none other than Prof. James Moriarty.

Old 06-11-2001, 06:34 AM   #37
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I had a feeling it was Sherlock Holmes, but didn't want to make a fool of myself if I was wrong, lol! (Pride, foolish pride! It makes idiots of us all! )

------------------

Old 06-11-2001, 06:46 AM   #38
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
How about this one, then?

Marlow ceased, and sat apart, indistinct and silent, in the pose of a meditating Buddha. Nobody moved for a time.
"We have lost the first of the ebb," said the Director, suddenly. I raised my head. The offing was barred by a black bank of clouds, and the tranquil waterway leading to the uttermost ends of the earth flowed sombre under an overcast sky - seemed to lead into the heart of an immense darkness.

I'm not sure if anyone has got this yet.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas