Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

My Wife and I had a pretty bad scare with losing all of our important information this past week.

Looks like everything is okay, but I'd like to avoid the stress of anything like that ever happening again. I've always taken a "it'll never happen to me" attitude about losing my hard drive, so I never learned how to back it up.

What's the best way to back up my hard drive?

TIA

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

havent tried it yet but here is what ive found. its up to you to test if it you can
http://free-backup.info/

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Best way is buy an external HD or an HD pocket and regularly copy all your important documents.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'll agree with ZFR. I picked up a 320GB external hard drive and backed up the important stuff there.

'Course, I waited to do that until my machine blue-screened on me a couple of times, couldn't find the OS, and wouldn't boot...

It does help to keep the important data in one spot... I've got a personal documents folder (not My Documents, one *I* control) and an install folder. All installation source (downloads, etc.) goes into the install folder and gets run from there... very handy having it all in one spot.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

How much does one of these external hard drives cost? BTW, 320 GB is a lot more than my computer has (I believe it's only about 80 GB), so a smaller (ie: cheaper) one would probably work just as well for me.

I'll try that when I get home Harky!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Old 06-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I picked mine up at the CompUSA closing-down-the-store sale for around $150. I think it was normally $200 or so.

As for it being a lot bigger than your current HD, probably true. The laptop I needed it for only had an 80GB hard drive.

My new laptop, however, has a 250GB hard drive... so buy it not just for today, but for tomorrow as well. 320GB could keep several copies of your hard drive if needed...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Klorox:
How much does one of these external hard drives cost? BTW, 320 GB is a lot more than my computer has (I believe it's only about 80 GB), so a smaller (ie: cheaper) one would probably work just as well for me.

I'll try that when I get home Harky!
Yep, 320 Gig would be a little ridiculous if your regular harddrive is only 80, but the choice is yours of course. An external harddrive costs pretty much the same as a regular one, or not much more anyway. Below is a link to a site with different brands which is good for price comparison.

http://www.superwarehouse.com/extern...rives/c2b/2361
Old 06-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks again guys. How do you go about actually copying a hard drive? Do you have to copy a file at a time, or can I choose to copy the entire thing all at once?

Old 06-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

You can choose to copy the whole thing at once... but if you actually mean the entire hard drive it probably won't work. You can copy whole folders at a time though...

To back up the entire thing, windows has a backup tool (under accessories > system tools).
Old 06-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

There are a few imagin programs that will create a full image of your HDD backing up everything (System Setting, files etc)

Click here for info on the solutions that the company I work for (Symantec) offer.

There is also a product called BackupExec System Recovery for Desktops that is quite good as well but this is aimed at out Corporate Customers (I still use it at home though)

All of this can be backed up to a external HDD or DVD.