Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Shocked FLORIDA COURT SETS ATHEIST HOLY DAY

In Florida , an atheist created a case against the upcoming Easter and Passover holy days. He hired an attorney to bring a discrimination case against Christians, Jews and observances of their holy days. The argument was that it was unfair that atheists had no such recognized days.
The case was brought before a judge. After listening to the passionate presentation by the lawyer, the judge banged his gavel declaring, "Case dismissed!"
The lawyer immediately stood objecting to the ruling saying, "Your honor,how can you possibly dismiss this case? The Christians have Christmas, Easter and others. The Jews have Passover, Yom Kippur and Hanukkah, yet my client and all other atheists have no such holidays."
The judge leaned forward in his chair saying, "But you do. Your client, counsel, is woefully ignorant." The lawyer said, "Your Honor, we are unaware of any special observance or holiday for atheists." The judge said, "The calendar says April 1st is April Fools Day. Psalm 14:1 states, 'The fool says in his heart, there is no God.' Thus, it is the opinion of this court, that if your client says there is no God, then he is a fool. Therefore, April 1st is his day. Court is adjourned."

This is too good not to forward.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Default Re: FLORIDA COURT SETS ATHEIST HOLY DAY

I hope from the bottom of my heart that this is not real.

Otherwise I am somewhat afraid that I'm in the hands of such a ludicrous judicial system.
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Well if it were true, I would be torn between the judges actions (the response is beyond what he/she'd be authorized to make) and the atheists concern over a lack of holiday for him. An atheist is the last person I would expect to care one way or the other whether they got some kind of holiday dedicated to them.

While it is, to me, a humorous story, I doubt very much that it's factual.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Aye, with the speration of church and state, the words he said are illegal from his position. And yeah, I would guess atheists want less holy days - not more (don't know why really, as the big ones usually mean a day off work for everyone, complete with gifts, or a celeberation, good food and in most cases good company) - whether you believe in a god or not.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

Tongue Out Re: FLORIDA COURT SETS ATHEIST HOLY DAY

This is funny, except the fool is the christian who has spent his life believing something that is not true and does not exist.

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams
thecarrotdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:03 AM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

you're welcome to your opinions carrotdude, but try to be less derisive in your comments if you please. Not all here are anti-religion. Many find more reason in believing there is one (or in some cases maybe many). I'll leave it at that as I'm still not sure about the status of the moratorium at this point, among other reasons.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:56 AM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
you're welcome to your opinions carrotdude, but try to be less derisive in your comments if you please. Not all here are anti-religion. Many find more reason in believing there is one (or in some cases maybe many). I'll leave it at that as I'm still not sure about the status of the moratorium at this point, among other reasons.
Oh get stuffed you pious prick

the original joke was offensive to none fairy tale believers (but funny) and yet you get on your pompous high horse yet again and call out someones reply to the original offense.

Irony is not an implement in your laundry FSA

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:06 AM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Roll Eyes Re: FLORIDA COURT SETS ATHEIST HOLY DAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
In Florida , an atheist created a case against the upcoming Easter and Passover holy days. He hired an attorney to bring a discrimination case against Christians, Jews and observances of their holy days. The argument was that it was unfair that atheists had no such recognized days.
The case was brought before a judge. After listening to the passionate presentation by the lawyer, the judge banged his gavel declaring, "Case dismissed!"
The lawyer immediately stood objecting to the ruling saying, "Your honor,how can you possibly dismiss this case? The Christians have Christmas, Easter and others. The Jews have Passover, Yom Kippur and Hanukkah, yet my client and all other atheists have no such holidays."
The judge leaned forward in his chair saying, "But you do. Your client, counsel, is woefully ignorant." The lawyer said, "Your Honor, we are unaware of any special observance or holiday for atheists." The judge said, "The calendar says April 1st is April Fools Day. Psalm 14:1 states, 'The fool says in his heart, there is no God.' Thus, it is the opinion of this court, that if your client says there is no God, then he is a fool. Therefore, April 1st is his day. Court is adjourned."

This is too good not to forward.
The joke (which is funny ) calls Atheists fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarrotdude View Post
This is funny, except the fool is the christian who has spent his life believing something that is not true and does not exist.
So Carrotdude calls a follower of religious beliefs a fool

So the score is one all ... even ... all square ...

until some pompous one eyed buffoon starts to shit stir on an otherwise funny joke thread ...

Old 01-25-2009, 05:12 AM   #9
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Except that carrotdude's remark is directed, derisive and meant to hurt in the spirit of getting back at things. If he would have posted a sarcastic joke however...
Old 01-25-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrKASperov View Post
Except that carrotdude's remark is directed, derisive and meant to hurt in the spirit of getting back at things. If he would have posted a sarcastic joke however...
in the spirit of getting back at things ...

At least you realise there was an original offence to cause his reaction .... which is an improvement.