Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2001, 11:17 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

This is an edited version of the AD&D 2nd Ed stats for solars. It's only a spoiler if you don't want to know what/how powerful it is.

SOLAR

Frequency: Very Rare
No. Appearing: 1
Armor Class: -9
Move: 18 walk 40 fly 18 swim
Hit Dice: 177 HP
% in lair: 0
Treasure Type: Nil
No. of Attacks: 4
Damage/Attack: By weapon type (+12 Strength bonus)
Special Attacks: See below
Special Defenses: See below
Magic resistance: 85%
Intelligence: Supra Genius(19-20); Wisdom 24
Alignment: Good
Size: L (10' tall)
Psionic Ability: 354
Attack/Defense Modes:
All/all
Level/X.P. value: 10 /95000+35 per hp

A Solar is the most powerful of Spirits, usually directly serving a greater deity of good alignment and typically as his or her marshal, stwerard, etc. On Rare occasions, a solar will be found attending a lesser deity. There are at least 24 Solars. They can go to any place but only do so in service to their deities. As with Devas and Planetars, Solars can be of any good alignment- Lawful, neutral or Chaotic. They are totally faithful and unswerving in their alignment and loyalty.

Each Solar has 4 attacks per melee round. Each has a huge composite bow (180 foot range) and various Arrows of Slaying. Each also has a sword equal to a 2-handed weapon (usable only by Solars) equal to +5 with qualities of dancing and sharpness (as the famous magical weapons have displayed). The former function operates sans severing. For purposes of attack determination, consider each solar to have a dexterity of 24 and a 17th+ level as fighter.

All solars have spell like abilities equal to those of a 12th level cleric, druid, magic user, and illusionist. In addition, they each have the following spell-like powers which can be used 1 at a time, 1 per round, at will:

Each solar can cast a Globe of Protection from Evil (150% normal effect for +3/-3) from individual size to a full 70 foot radius, the size being willed but the protection otherwise maintained automatically. This sphere also serves as protection from normal missiles and a minor globe of invulnerability. A solar can commune (as the old spell) as needed. Each can always CURE (any sort) by touch, detect (any sort, automatically), and DISPEL (any sort) by gaze. When laying hands upon a creature, a solar can bestow perfect adaption to any environment for up to as long as a century. Each solar automatically knows alignment. Each has a communication ability via ESP or Tongues, as well as the ability to read and comprehend any language. Solar infravision extends to 72 feet and ultravision to triple normal range (ultravision = see in the dark with no light source or heat whatsoever, using ultraviolet spectrums). Hearing and normal vision are double human norm. Charisma effect is 24.

The skin of a solar is the color of molten copper, hair color is bronze, and eyes are glowing topaz. Its form is beautiful and muscular, and the deep, resonant voice is commanding. The wings area double and of a coppery-gold color.

------------------
Old 05-09-2001, 11:23 AM   #2
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Wow those Solars sure are some tough SOB's. Sound like fun. Do you actaully fight one in TOB or just interact with them. I only ask this since they are good aligned. But they look like they gotta lotta punch

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-09-2001, 11:27 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
Do you actaully fight one in TOB or just interact with them. I only ask this since they are good aligned.

Well, that all depends on your alignment now, doesn't it?

------------------
Old 05-09-2001, 11:35 AM   #4
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

dang nabbit I am always good so I guess I wont be having fights anytime soon. But surely there are some evils just as tough so EVIL MEET MY SWORD SWORD MEET EVIL!!! or something like that

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-09-2001, 11:53 AM   #5
Lord Shield

Don't worry. If you're good you get Demon Lords to play pat-a-cake with

Old 05-09-2001, 09:32 PM   #6
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Their demonic and devilish equivalent (the balor and the pit fiend) suck ass compared to them but I think there are more of those then solars.

------------------
Meet my lawyer.
Old 05-09-2001, 11:56 PM   #7
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Im thinking there will be some serious demon lords in TOB to beatinstead of lesser demons such as Balor's and Ta'nari. Balors I dont think are even lesser demon lords such as the one that is summoned in BG2 in the drow city. Balors seem to me like powerful servants.

------------------

Old 05-10-2001, 12:22 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
Im thinking there will be some serious demon lords in TOB to beatinstead of lesser demons such as Balor's and Ta'nari. Balors I dont think are even lesser demon lords such as the one that is summoned in BG2 in the drow city. Balors seem to me like powerful servants.

Well, in reality balors and pit fiends should be a LOT more powerful than they are in BG2. Pit fiends are the overlords of the Nine Hells and there are not too many of them around. They are very cunning and are supposed to be the personification of ultimate evil. The slavering no-brain, beast creature that passed for a pit fiend in BG2 is a joke. For example, pit fiends should be able to gate in at least one greater baatezu a round (or turn, I forget).

------------------
Old 05-10-2001, 12:58 AM   #9
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

And did you notice in the last battle they use the pit fiend avatar but when you put your mouse over it it says balor?

------------------
Welcome to hell.
Old 05-10-2001, 05:28 AM   #10
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

yeah ino i think they have changed the stats of some creatures too much in bg2. i guess it is to just use more familiar names but it kinda ruins what they originally were like. But I cant blame them for doing it I mean they make great games who am I to complain

------------------