Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2001, 01:56 PM   #21
Moiraine
Anubis

Moni,

I really couldn't keep the cat. Believe me, I tried. But he was totally wild, didn't let anybody get close, bit and scratched when anybody get closer than 2m. And it wasn't a warning, mind, he did it full fight. Aimed for the eyes. And he was way bigger and more muscular than a ordinary house cat. My own cat was terrified by him. And it didn't get better after a few months. We really couldn't keep him, I was afraid for my kid. Anyway, we gave him anything he needed to survive. Released him in the wild at full strength in Spring.

Good for you about the kiddy bat ! I hope there won't be fights between her and your cats.

------------------

The world is my oyster !
And now I have the knives to open it ...
Old 06-01-2001, 02:34 PM   #22
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:

It is nice to know that in Britain, bats are protected by law. Unfortunately here in the US, people still view them as disease carrying "rodents" no better than cockroaches or river rats.

Here in Minnesota people like bats. In fact our nature trails (within the metro area) have bat houses placed frequently alongside. FYI, bat houses look just like bird houses except the hole is in the bottom. These little structures are courtesy of the Minnesota Department for Mosquito Control.

If it weren’t for bats the Minnesotan’s existence would be dismal at best. FYI, mosquitos are considered the state bird by many.

------------------
Old 06-01-2001, 03:31 PM   #23
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Moni,

I really couldn't keep the cat. Believe me, I tried. But he was totally wild, didn't let anybody get close, bit and scratched when anybody get closer than 2m. And it wasn't a warning, mind, he did it full fight. Aimed for the eyes. And he was way bigger and more muscular than a ordinary house cat. My own cat was terrified by him. And it didn't get better after a few months. We really couldn't keep him, I was afraid for my kid. Anyway, we gave him anything he needed to survive. Released him in the wild at full strength in Spring.

Good for you about the kiddy bat ! I hope there won't be fights between her and your cats.

Oh I believe you about the cat!
My sister brought home a kitten of all things from out of the woods one day.
He was the sweetest thing and loved to be petted but without warning, he would climb up our arms in a fraction of a second, clawing, scratching and biting...going for our faces in the end.
We gave him to our dad who broke him of the habit and he lived at dad's house for some 9 or ten years but we still had to be careful around him. He would not bite dad but anyone or anything else was fair game.

onthepequod...the state bird...LMAO!

Moni

------------------

Old 06-01-2001, 06:46 PM   #24
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:

Oh I believe you about the cat!
My sister brought home a kitten of all things from out of the woods one day.
He was the sweetest thing and loved to be petted but without warning, he would climb up our arms in a fraction of a second, clawing, scratching and biting...going for our faces in the end.
We gave him to our dad who broke him of the habit and he lived at dad's house for some 9 or ten years but we still had to be careful around him. He would not bite dad but anyone or anything else was fair game.
My present cat is a nasty piece of goods, too. I had him as a tiny, beautiful kitten from a woman I knew slightly. She kept asking me for ages how he was and was he alright, with a rather strange tone in her voice. I thought maybe the parent cat was sick and she was worried the kitten might be sick too. Not so, however. I discovered that the father cat was a truly nasty, savage animal. A stray who went for everyone and anything. This lady gave his kittens to people who had children, and said nothing!
The kitten I had was lucky. Still is, lol! I'm a pretty tolerant person and have never been afraid of cats and he knows I am the boss! Even so, I have been badly bitten and scratched from time to time. The only times I have ever hit him! I have had to. There is no way I could let him get away with that behaviour. I think practically any other owner would have got rid of him in pretty short order!
I'm kinda fond of the old b**ger, though! He IS the most beautiful cat!

------------------

Old 06-07-2001, 04:41 PM   #25
Redblueflare
Galvatron

That was decent of you Moni! I have bats in my backyard too, and i'm not proud to say that i'm as scared of them, as they are of me. Besides they are kinda cute! (If you look at them hard enough!)

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 06-07-2001, 06:07 PM   #26
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Redblueflare:
That was decent of you Moni! I have bats in my backyard too, and i'm not proud to say that i'm as scared of them, as they are of me. Besides they are kinda cute! (If you look at them hard enough!)

Thanks Redblueflare! LOL Well I am frightened of them flying around my head but a helpless baby was easy to pick up!

They really are rather cute creatures and very useful as insect control! I think more people should be better educated as to how beneficial to our environment they are!

Moni

P.S. I still have not gotten back to your story yet, I was playing with sigs while I was taking breaks and my PC up and crashed.

Rex just got up and is in the shower, I am sure he will ask me to kindly remove my butt from his chair when he comes out lol so I am going to go check on the progress of things I have going outside, feed the animals and then tell Rex that my PC is down again.

I should be back on here when he goes to work later. There is an hour span between him leaving and my usual bedtime.

Moni

------------------

Old 06-15-2001, 03:06 PM   #27
Moni

An Update of Sorts LOL!

Last night, when I walked Rex out to see him off to work, we both saw a HUGE bat flying around the mesquite tree in our yard! I have never seen a bat so big!! So, chances are pretty derned good that I have bats in my belfry, er I mean, in the roof of the house that I live in!

Anyway, I just remembered that and called the Bat Conservationalists in Austin and asked about the baby...The lady who would be able to give me the info on the bat is out of the office until Monday but I have her name and extension to talk personally with her about the baby and how it fared since we took it to Boerne two weeks ago!

The man I talked to is sending me information on how to perform the removal ourselves at a low cost with items we probably already have around the house and also information on where bat houses are available locally so that we can hang them before we get them out of our roof in hopes that they might stick around.

Will post more on Monday if I can get any news on the baby.

Moni

------------------

Old 06-15-2001, 03:25 PM   #28
Charean
Hathor

Moni - I am looking forward to an update!

In Maryland I had a couple of birdfeeders... well, once the birds caught on to the fact that I kept them fed... the varieties that showed up were truly incredible. I really miss that now - but I remember how the birds would show up after I refilled the feeders ... like they were waiting for me!

I love wildlife, and certainly appreciate it more now than before I became interactive with it... but isn't that always the way?

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
You are what your deep driving desire is; As your deep driving desire is, so is your will; As your will is so is your deed; As your deed is so is your destiny.
The Upanishads
Old 06-15-2001, 03:42 PM   #29
Moni

Charean,

I have two feeders in the backyard that I keep full...the birds are lined up in the mornings just waiting!

Haven't seen my squirrel friends still.

Hoping they just found a better place to hang out although I don't see how, seeing that I hand-made them their own tiny little peanut butter sandwiches every morning!
(one sandwich cut into 6ths)

I miss being able to hand feed them like the family of squirrels that lived under my shed and used my back yard as their nursery in AZ.

Maybe someday it can happen again...I am hoping.

Moni

------------------

Old 06-15-2001, 05:57 PM   #30
Charean
Hathor

I was getting to that point.. I fed the squirrels so well, that when winter was over they were still chubby!! Poor little things could barely run! Once Spring really hit, and it was time for breeding, they lost the weight.. but I was worried about them getting hit by cars on the street 'cause they were so slow! LOL

My uncle has squirrels trained in his yard to come to him for food...it is really cute... he has done that for years... sometimes for a few squirrel generations... they almost get tame!

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
You are what your deep driving desire is; As your deep driving desire is, so is your will; As your will is so is your deed; As your deed is so is your destiny.
The Upanishads