Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Anyone tried it yet?

I'm a big fan of the Civ series, but in previous games, the end game was a crawl, you'd spend 15 minutes watching each computer moving his units back and forth along your border, then you'd watch your army of workers do their things. That was crazy.

But for this one they said they worked on fixing that problem. I'm looking foward to trying the game. I read a couple of reviews, and all the changes they made sound great. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Is it out yet? I thought it was coming in December.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Well I looked today and saw tons of reviews, it must be out.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

It's fairly fun, though the graphics slow down the game some on my machine. That said, they did work a lot on streamlining the technology tree and also combat. Combat is now not so much a matter of attack/defense as combat power. However, to simulate bonuses of certain units (ie: defending), they did add in some bonuses versus various different types of units, city defenses, city assault, that sort of thing.

Quote:
I'm a big fan of the Civ series, but in previous games, the end game was a crawl, you'd spend 15 minutes watching each computer moving his units back and forth along your border, then you'd watch your army of workers do their things. That was crazy.
Couldn't you just turn that off in the options menu?
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:14 AM   #5
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:
It's fairly fun, though the graphics slow down the game some on my machine. That said, they did work a lot on streamlining the technology tree and also combat. Combat is now not so much a matter of attack/defense as combat power. However, to simulate bonuses of certain units (ie: defending), they did add in some bonuses versus various different types of units, city defenses, city assault, that sort of thing.

quote:
Couldn't you just turn that off in the options menu? [/QUOTE]Mmm, sounds fun!

Yeah, you can turn it off I believe. Though it still has to sit there and think for a good minute or so.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:17 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:

quote:
Couldn't you just turn that off in the options menu? [/QUOTE]It skip the animation but it still make them move. Also, what't he point of playing if you disable all the animations? It get boring fast, and you can't really keep track of what's happening either.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:51 AM   #7
bakrus
The Magister

well lets just hope that civ4 will be the best strategy game of the year without that annoying waiting..

played civ1 a week ago, haven`t played it in years! and its a marvelous classic game =)

release date in december..? damn in norway it won`t be released before feb or mars 2006........................=`(
Old 11-11-2005, 04:29 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

Civ 4 got a pretty good review in the magazine that I read. Somewhere along the lines of 90 per cent [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #9
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Also, what't he point of playing if you disable all the animations? It get boring fast, and you can't really keep track of what's happening either.
It does not get boring! Civilization II had no animation whatsoever (excluding the wonder movies and the High Council) And it certainly wasn't boring.

I haven't played the later ones, however, so it might be that some key element of enjoyability was removed in them.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:32 PM   #10
Sir Goulum
John Locke

The animations are just a side thing, IMO. I have it set up on my computer so I don't see the enemies movements, so I don't go flitting about my borders for 5 minutes. I still keep up with where they went too. Besides, my countries/empires are sooo massive(I settle like crazy, so by the time it's in the middle ages I encompass 20-25% of the world. [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) it takes quite a while for it to jump around showing me where everyone moves.
One thing I'm wondering though, is if they improved the computer players. I've perfected a strategy in CivIII that guarantees me a win 99% of the time, mostly because the computer isn't bright enough to realize that I actually don't have any military whatsoever, up until I get Nationalism when I can mobilize my army, and I go on this military binge for 10 turns or so and then proceed to ally everyone against the largest power, and continue until it's just me. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Works every time, let me tell you. Of course, it is handy if you have the barbarians turned off(I ususally do, I find them just to be a pointless nuisance). But if they haven't changed any of the AI in CivIV, then it would be a little pointless for me to buy it since chances are I could win using my same strategy and not have to spend time thinking up a new one.